Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Peteroak
Peteroak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I edit in EPUB on Calibre?

I converted some old Word files for a book I pubbed 1n 1996. These files I convrted to pdf, then to epub using Calibre. But the files have a lot of extra line spaces, some lines run all across the page, etc. I would like to be able to CLEAN UP the text in the EPUB format, but of course it won't let me.

The errors don't follow a particular pattern, so I can't use Search & Replace. Is what I'm asking impossible? I don't know what's causing the anomalies in the original word files. They look fine in PDF.

Thanks,
Peteroak
Peteroak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Peteroak and welcome to MobileRead. Can't answer your question and, if someone doesn't come along soon with advice, you should try posting your request in teh Calibre section
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
First off, welcome to MR

Calibre is a great library manager and format converter. It can be used to fix some things in an ePub but you are probably much better off using Sigil (also free and also well supported with its own forum here on MR). Sigil is a true ePub editor.

If you still have the original Word files you may find that re-saving those as either "Filtered HTML" or "RTF" and using Calibre to convert the results to ePub will yield a file with fewer issues. The basic nature of PDF makes it an extremely poor choice for an intermediate format in the conversion chain.

Last edited by dwig; 02-27-2011 at 03:08 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ….

Try as dwig suggests, re-save your original WORD files as rtf and give that a whirl. Then Sigil for the extra tweeks ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Peteroak
Peteroak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks

Thanks to all for your welcome advice. After I posted, my wife discovered Sigil on her sown, so...great minds think alike.

Funny about rtf. A friend who did her own book said it's best to work with Word files...but then she converts using InDesign, which I can't afford to buy or learn! And omeone else said pdf is the way to go. But I'll try rtf and Sigil and see what happens. Great feedback!
Peteroak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hello and Welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote