Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #16
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
In the past few years, since I've started using ereaders, I would wager in the vicinity of $1K per year, between ereaders, accessories and ebooks. This year I have picked up a used Sony 950 for $210, and have purchased about $100 in ebooks so far.

It's amazing how fast these purchases add up. However, it gives me a tremendous amount of pleasure, so I consider it money well spent.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm with Maggie: I don't want to know. If I add my device purchases in, then it's a lot - I went a little crazy with the gadget lust last year. However, between my netbook/tablet and the Sony Daily 950, I should be set on devices. So for just books - I'm still scared to look.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #18
tgnd
tgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with otherstgnd plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
So far this year I'm at a $10 total, and that includes my kindle itself - I paid for that in swagbucks and gift certs from various places. I have yet to buy an ebook - there are SO many freebies that I've been kept busy with them. I'll probably buy my first one in March when Jean Auel's Land of the Painted Caves is released. I've been looking forward to that book for many years and will be very glad to be able to read it on the kindle rather than a heavy hefty hardcover. However, again that will be paid for with amazon gift certs I earn, so essentially free. That is what I told myself when I ordered the kindle - my spending limit on ebooks would be what gift certs I can come up with each month.

I will be spending some $$ on a cover soon though - but not in the traditional sense. I have a custom cover I want to make for it and will need to buy a few supplies. But even that should be under $10.

As for DTBs.. I don't buy many.. but throughout the year I'm sure I'll pick up a few knitting books that I've had my eye on. Unfortunately the pretty pictures there just don't translate well to the kindle. I'd estimate probably about $100 or so a year there, unless something expensive comes up that I havent seen yet.
tgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
Over the past 20 or 30 years, I have spent at least $1000 a year on books, including 25 cent paperbacks and new issue hardcovers, used books, and trade paper. And don't get me started on magazines. I ordered a Kindle 3 the day they were introduced, and since then I have spent $20 on paper books and about $200 on ebooks, many discounted, and many free books. I think the only loser in this deal is my local library, because I won't be dropping off several boxes of books for their annual sale.

I have spent less but read the same amount or more, I don't have the stacks of books to be read sitting around, and it is just so easy to take the Kindle with me, with several books to be read on it that I can choose from, depending on my mood.
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #20
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Up until a few years ago (when I semi-retired- health), I used to spend up to £3-4K a year, lot less now as I'm catching up on unread paper and huge amounts of free material (classics and pulp) that I always intended to read and now can with my eReaders...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #21
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I buy the readers my wife pays for the books. Think I may be winning at the moment but I can see I will have to buy the new kindles soon and that will cost me big. I do still buy photographic books and they can be pricy. The last one cost me $130.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #22
rePete
Connoisseur
rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Pandigital Novel
This has been a bad year for the budget. Last year I thought it would be fair that for every book I bought I'd put that much money in an "Equalizer" jar for my wife's habits. Prior to that, I never kept track.

I'm easily running a couple of hundred dollars a month. Note that most of my reading is non-fiction, history, politics, religion, and art (photography, mostly)

I'm an avid capatilist and everyone needs to be greased along the way. Books are from renewable resources, everyone that handles them is 'working', the freight companies will do their thing to better their delivery apparatus. I'm not adverse to used books so I like the idea of recycling the printed book.
rePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #23
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
In previous years $0 I rarely ever bought paper books, since I got my kindle which was about 6 months ago. I have spent around $100 on ebooks, Recently I have discovered a lot of the free books are pretty good so I expect the amount I will be spending in the future to go down. Plus I had no problem paying $9.99 for a ebook at the new $14.99 I am not so quick to purchase. It has to be something I have been waiting on the edge of my seat to come out to pay that much for it..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #24
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Very little - almost entirely library books - my biggest expenditure is $23/month for two Audible credits.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #25
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It used to be quite a bit, around 2,000€ per year. I guess it has been down to 700€ last year. But I spent on the readers, last year I bought the 350, this month the 650. So it should total this year again at around 700€.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #26
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
DTB: ~$50/year
ereader 2009: ~$600/year
ereader 2010: ~$300/year
ereader 2011: ~$50/3 months
devices: ~$200/year

Agency six price increases have killed my ebook buying. Replaced with more ebooks from library and public domain. In some cases I've gone back to DTB because the price is cheaper.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy, cost, ebooks, ereader