Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
yathribjr
yathribjr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Cannot right-click to open with main Calibre program

Hello everyone,

Since upgrading to Calibre 3.3, I've noticed that I no longer have the option to right-click on an .epub file and select the option to "Open with" what is called "The main calibre program" in Windows 10 64-bit. [See 1st picture.]

Usually this is not a problem since "The calibre e-book viewer" default program is what I need. However, when I need to convert an .epub for my Kindle 3, I can no longer select "The main calibre program" from "Open with" after right-clicking. Either I must add the book from the main program, or I have to constantly "Choose another app" and select "The main calibre program" since Windows 10 does not remember my choice.

I have tried using the Default Programs Editor program to add "The main calibre program" to the "Open with" selections. [See 2nd picture.] However, despite it appearing among the "Open with" selections already, it still does not appear after right-clicking back in Windows Explorer.

I also tried using CCleaner following a suggestion from elsewhere to clean the registry, but that did not work either.

Any help is most appreciated! It's not a big deal but kind of inconvenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MissingCalibreProgramSelection.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	157914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DefaultProgramsEditorCalibre.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	157915  
yathribjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@yathribjr - workaround: put a shortcut to calibre.exe in shell:sendto and use it rather than windows shell open with option. I use it to add new books - irrespective of file type.

Also see these these items in the calibre user Manual ==>> CALIBRE_NO_DEFAULT_PROGRAMS environment variable and calibre-debug --default-programs option.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-13-2017 at 05:10 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
yathribjr

Thanks BR, this works like a charm!

These sorts of mysteries make Windows challenging for non-experts like me.

I hope the Calibre folks can look into whether there is something that can be done about this quirk if I'm not the only one experiencing it.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know there have been issues when a user has had 32 bit calibre installed and then migrates to 64 bit; this is NOT though a calibre issue, it's a Windows issue.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yathribjr View Post
Thanks BR, this works like a charm!

These sorts of mysteries make Windows challenging for non-experts like me.

I hope the Calibre folks can look into whether there is something that can be done about this quirk if I'm not the only one experiencing it.
The Windows file association mechanisms have been a rats nest ever since... and IMO the more they try to 'fix' it the worse it gets.

I had all sorts of problems when the change to register calibre.exe as a candidate handler for all 'ebook' extensions was implemented in version 2.20.

I have files with 'ebook' extensions, which are not ebooks, that have no default handler - a conscious decision on my part. So, when the calibre 2.20 install nominated calibre.exe as a candidate handler for these extensions Windows promptly made it the default handler Ψ²

Because I was already using Send To to add books I had no interest in having calibre.exe as a candidate handler for anything, let alone the default handler. So I used the calibre-debug --default-programs unregister option to remove calibre.exe from Windows Default Programs list, and I set CALIBRE_NO_DEFAULT_PROGRAMS to 1 to prevent calibre from automatically registering the filetypes it is capable of handling with Windows.

Now, if I should ever need to, I can add calibre.exe to the Open With list for a specific file extension manually - to date I've not had the need. But I just tested doing it again (Win10 Pro version 1611 64bit) and it works as expected.

The first issue is that the file extensions are totally ad-hoc. FX, Pegasus, Quicken and Visual Studio all make use of the PDB extension, but they are likely to barf on PDB files they didn't create. The second issue, IMO, is that software shouldn't add itself to Windows Default Programs without asking the user. And the third issue is what Windows does when there is no default handler for an extension and something announces - 'I can handle that'.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-13-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:35 AM   #6
yathribjr

I forgot to mention that I am now using "Windows 10 Creators Update" (v. 1703) 64 bit.

Among its new media features, it adds .epub file reading capabilities to Windows via the Microsoft Edge browser. This may be helping mess up the .epub file associations.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:11 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yathribjr View Post
I forgot to mention that I am now using "Windows 10 Creators Update" (v. 1703) 64 bit.

Among its new media features, it adds .epub file reading capabilities to Windows via the Microsoft Edge browser. This may be helping mess up the .epub file associations.
@yathripjr - I doubt it, but here's a link on How to ditch Microsoft Edge as your default PDF reader on Windows 10. One would hope the same techniques would work for EPUB.

If that doesn't solve your problems you could try one or all of the following:-
But I don't know if any one of those or even all three will solve your problems. Maybe you need to do a Windows Refresh or Windows Reset and a reinstall everything else.

Or you could do what I've done:-
  • remove all traces of calibre from Windows file associations with the calibre debug command I gave you,
  • set the requisite environment variable I gave you,
  • explicitly create the associations you need - in my case I associate the calibre viewer and editor with ePub - period.

Calibre is by no means the only program for which I've had to do something similar over the past 20+ years.

BR
Old 07-14-2017, 03:36 AM   #8
yathribjr

Thanks again; it's just something I thought of just in case it added useful information. My minor bug was already addressed with the "Send to" workaround.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
kcaj1
kcaj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Any ideas about why 'PATH: click to open' in not working with Calibre V 3.2.1 with my macbook pro os x yosemite V 10.10.4 ??
kcaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote