Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #226
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post

Do try it, before deciding to get an ebook reader which, say, might have audio functionality but is a bit lacking on the latest cool features (like an old kindle vs a paperwhite one).

just my 2 cents
My personal objection to the one ereader we tested at work that also had an text to speech function is that unless the book had the added markers (and not all that many of the ones that we tried did), the voice is very monotonous. I'm tempted to say robotic.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-27-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: What? Me? Spellcheck?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #227
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
I know this is not what you want to hear, but to those of you who enjoy listening to audiobooks, I heartily suggest to do it with a standard mp3-player: they've gotten extremely cheap and rugged these days(unlike ebook readers), and almost all of them come with a bookmark function.
So far, that's my preferred method. Like you said, mp3's are so inexpensive these days. I have two Sansa Clips that I keep loaded with the same audiobook library. So if I kill the battery on one, I stick it on the charger, and pick up on the freshly charged Sansa. I keep it clipped to my collar w/ short cord earbuds. I've had quite a few other mp3 players, but so far, my Sansas are the only ones that handle audiobook properly, with chapters, bookmarks and when I shuffle music, it doesn't shuffle audiobooks chapters into the mix. It keeps them separate.

That being said, I'm "trying" to use the Audible app on the phone, w/ a bluetooth headset. It's still small, but I have to get used to using the controls of a BT controller, and make sure I stay in range of my phone. Time will tell if I can get used to it, just to keep my books synced, or if it's just a novelty that will bore me in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My personal objection to the one ereader we tested at work that also had an text to speech function is that unless the book had the added markers (and not all that many of the ones that we tried did), the voice is very monotonous. I'm tempted to say robotic.
I think I tested the text-to-voice once, and I couldn't concentrate because it was so monotonous. I won't listen to an audio book if it's just read, I want the narration to be performed! Thankfully, audio books are just getting better and better. Thus far, I still think "The Help" is the best performed/narrated audio book I have ever listened to. That's how an audio book is done!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #228
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Hi LoveMyBooks,

"Whispersyncing" is not what you describe. Whispersync synchronises your reading progress throughout the devices you use to read, like your e-reader, you smartphone, your computer...

And yes, Kobo does offer that, though only for books that you buy from Kobo.
Couldn't the same be said for Kindles? After all, they only work with proprietary formats...
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #229
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
[Talking about not always having to buy both the ebook and the audio book]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Mrs_Often you're just a mess today! LOL... but I love your enthusiasm!
Hahaha! no no no no no! :P Actually, I read that on Amazon site itself (I can't find the page now), but I was talking about text-to-speech (for which you don't have to buy an audio book, if the ebook publisher allows the function).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBooks View Post
If there were a way for Kobo to sync with a "read out loud" type of app...that would be great.
Try asking for it in its very own feature requests thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165669
Quote:
(try librivox.org if you haven't ever heard of it, some audiobooks may not be that good, but some others have professional quality, you just have to choose-and-pick a bit till you find a decent one).
Oh thank you! I didn't know about librivox. Interesting!

[Talking about syncing bookmarks between your Kobo devices only working for books bought from Kobo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
Couldn't the same be said for Kindles? After all, they only work with proprietary formats...
Nope... Books you sideload onto your Kindle also sync. You can put any old mobi either straight onto your Kindle with a cable, or email it to your special kindle email address (you get one for each device that is linked to Amazon). The book is added to your Kindle account, and syncs over all your devices.

With Kobo, all your sideloaded books are not added to your Kobo account, so they do not sync over your different devices.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #230
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
[OT]
Quote:
Oh thank you! I didn't know about librivox. Interesting!
You're welcome. If I may voice a suggestion, be picky with the reader. Once you find a good one, usually all of their works are top-notch(I've also listened to audiobooks sold from amazon, and well, they have nothing less than those, and sometimes are even better actually).

For names of readers from the old guard who've done a lot in there and who always deliver professional content, search for Elizabeth Klett, Mark F. Smith(his Great Expectations is just perfect), Mark nelson(ghost|scifi|horror|vanilla short story collections of any kind) and many others I can't remember now (you may search the catalog by reader instead of by author).

Also, you may want to stay clear of books read by multiple readers at first, unless they're collections or poetry.

[END OT]

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-28-2012 at 08:48 AM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #231
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you sombreastre!! Some karma for you
Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #232
LoveMyBooks
Truth Sleuth
LoveMyBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Oh my goodness...thank you all so much for all of your information! I noticed yesterday that if you purchase an ebook from amazon for say...$7.99 (in the case of the book i was looking up) the audible book would then be $9.00. And actually I did not go to the Kobo website to see if they even offer audible books. And in all reality, that will be a "just fine" option for me...simply purchase the ebook then purchase, hopefully at a "bundle discount", the audible book for either my phone or mp3.
Again, thank you all so much. and sombreastre, I am going to check out that Librivox as well!

BTW...SolRaven...The Help is one of my favorite books...so nicely written...I just loved it!

{With Kobo, all your sideloaded books are not added to your Kobo account, so they do not sync over your different devices.}
and Mrs.Often...I noticed also with my kobo app on my phone that if I download a "free book" it does not sync with my reader for some reason. My kobo wifi came with 100 classics preloaded as well that does not sync with my library or ultimately my phone app. So when i was reading Jayne Eyre on my reader...I had to download it to my phone app and remember the page i was on. Just a weird quirk i guess. and not a big deal...really.

Last edited by LoveMyBooks; 09-28-2012 at 11:45 AM.
LoveMyBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #233
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
Oh my goodness...thank you all so much for all of your information! I noticed yesterday that if you purchase an ebook from amazon for say...$7.99 (in the case of the book i was looking up) the audible book would then be $9.00. And actually I did not go to the Kobo website to see if they even offer audible books. And in all reality, that will be a "just fine" option for me...simply purchase the ebook then purchase, hopefully at a "bundle discount", the audible book for either my phone or mp3.
Again, thank you all so much. and sombreastre, I am going to check out that Librivox as well!
You're all too welcome! If I sponsored/mentioned librivox it's just because I've spent hours of delight listening to classics and books I've never thought could be so good, and it's all free for everyone.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #234
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
{With Kobo, all your sideloaded books are not added to your Kobo account, so they do not sync over your different devices.}
and Mrs.Often...I noticed also with my kobo app on my phone that if I download a "free book" it does not sync with my reader for some reason. My kobo wifi came with 100 classics preloaded as well that does not sync with my library or ultimately my phone app. So when i was reading Jayne Eyre on my reader...I had to download it to my phone app and remember the page i was on. Just a weird quirk i guess. and not a big deal...really.
Actually, all books from Kobo should sync between the Kobo app on your phone and your ereader. I'm not 100% certain about the free books that were preloaded on the device, but the books you download from the website (including the free ones) should sync. Are you sure you have Wifi turned on on your Kobo? You don't have to have it on permanently, just regularly enough to keep the sync you want.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #235
LoveMyBooks
Truth Sleuth
LoveMyBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
I do update my library each time i read my e reader. But I will have to double check on the syncing free books back to my e reader. I'm sure your right that it does in fact do it. Maybe I just haven't been able to find them...the couple that I have done.

Thank you all again...and have a great friday! I cant wait to order my Kobo Glo!
LoveMyBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #236
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually; some of the free books appear to be in ePub format only and thus would not sync via Desktop or to other devices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #237
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually; some of the free books appear to be in ePub format only and thus would not sync via Desktop or to other devices.
Is that true for only the books that came free with the device, or is that also true for some of the free books you can download from kobobooks.com?

I would imagine that free books from kobobooks.com that you can download the same way as books you buy should be kepubs, otherwise you'd have to download them to your computer and put them on your device manually if they were epubs...
Old 09-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #238
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Is that true for only the books that came free with the device, or is that also true for some of the free books you can download from kobobooks.com?

I would imagine that free books from kobobooks.com that you can download the same way as books you buy should be kepubs, otherwise you'd have to download them to your computer and put them on your device manually if they were epubs...

It's true for some of the free books that you can download. Many (?most?) freebies work as normal.

IIRC, anything that shows in your library with a blue bar that says "download" with a dropdown arrow won't sync to desktop or device.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #239
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
It's true for some of the free books that you can download. Many (?most?) freebies work as normal.

IIRC, anything that shows in your library with a blue bar that says "download" with a dropdown arrow won't sync to desktop or device.
Ah good to know, thanks.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #240
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Hi,

I'm trying to decide what ebook I should buy, Paperwhite or Kobo Glo.
2Gb of Paperwhite seems very little, as I want to use it to read comics and PDFs/scientific papers.
Kobo Glo seems pretty nice: very similar to Paperwhite but with some flaws, as I see.

I want to know some specs and functions on Glo, and I think this thread is the best place to ask, instead of creating a new thread.

So, the questions:

1) Can I highlight, use dictionary and annotate in all text formats (ePubs but also PDFs, txt, etc)
2) Highlighting text is so horrible and painful?
3) I read Kobo's firmware has some bugs and is tech service is not as good as we want, but which bugs are we talking about? Is unstable, or something?

What do you recommend me?

Thanks! Kind regards!
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote