Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
bookbook0089
bookbook0089 began at the beginning.

Device: acrobat
i have found a ebook web site

i have found a new ebook web site

[link deleted by moderator]

let's go there and enjoy ebooks together!

Last edited by bookbook0089; 08-04-2008 at 07:37 AM.
bookbook0089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
None of them download properly. Says damaged or protected?
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you sure this site is actually legal?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure this site is actually legal?
On a quick look it seems not.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Clearly illegal. Link deleted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

How do you know it is not legal, Harry?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
Yes, how do you know if it's illegal? It seems like this is connected to authors choice of creative commons.

I'm starting to get the feeling the moderators here are fundamentalists when it comes to copyright, with a "Shoot first, check later" policy/mentality.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I didn't see the site, but at a guess, HarryT checked the copyright dates of several books on the site, and made the decision based on that evidence. We do try to be sure something is a copyright violation before editing posts and such. And we have to take into account the laws in the countries our servers are in (the US and Canada), whereas we understand copyright conventions can vary in different countries.

Unfortunately, there are many sites out there that assume that because content appears somewhere it must be ok to post it, or think that something can be "Creative Commons" if someone other than the author has said so. We're left in the awkward position of trying to figure out what the actual legal status of books is, sometimes.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

I can't see how links to external sites matters though. Are you responsible for their content as well? Is linking to other websites illegal?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's a policy we have because we don't want to be known as a place to find illegal content.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by haridasi View Post
I can't see how links to external sites matters though. Are you responsible for their content as well? Is linking to other websites illegal?
In the US it's called contributory infringement. IIRC, it's settled Federal case law; see the 2600 Magazine article on Wikipedia. Personally, I fall more into the "abolish or radically change copyright side of things," but I don't represent this forum. The moderators OTOH do, and they are perfectly correct to protect the forum and its owners from legal harassment.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by haridasi View Post
I think Harry knows what he's doing. People who use this site don't encourage the use of illegal downloading. Those who wish to do so can get their information in other ways. Obiviously, linking to legal websites is okay...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
peterbbb
BoyReader

I'm fine with not linking to illegal stuff. I'd just like to know what evidence HarryT used to make the decision.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
haridasi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
In the US it's called contributory infringement. IIRC, it's settled Federal case law; see the 2600 Magazine article on Wikipedia. Personally, I fall more into the "abolish or radically change copyright side of things," but I don't represent this forum. The moderators OTOH do, and they are perfectly correct to protect the forum and its owners from legal harassment.
But is it a fellony?

I do understand why MR doesn't want to "recommend" (I don't remember the correct english term) copyright infringement, but why not state "This link seems to be a website containing illegal material, so therefore we will not condone its content and use.

Just stating: "illegal, link deleted" gives me a police state feeling (and it's the second time i've seen it done today). When I also couple that with HarryT's opinions regarding copyright infringement in the discussion "Book piracy, is ebook piracy on the rise", I get the shivers.

If the moderators here are people without any understanding of the different sides of the copyright/piracy debate, then well, I don't want to condone those opinions, peoples or websites.

Though, too their defence, it's an important (and in many aspects) good work their doing here.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
I'm fine with not linking to illegal stuff. I'd just like to know what evidence HarryT used to make the decision.

You could try pm'ing him and asking...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, ebook, ebooks, free ebook, free ebooks