Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
BrianR
BrianR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD
Unhappy Transfering books from an Android device to Kobo

Has anyone succeeded in transfering a book which has DRM protection, from an Android device to a Kobo Glo?
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I've never even thought of trying. But, I think the important question is what sort of DRM?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
BrianR

The sort that requires the Android ADE app to open. You download a .acsm file which, when you open it, then downloads the ePub file, which the Kobo can read, provided it has the same Adobe Id as the ADE app.

Last edited by BrianR; 01-27-2016 at 05:28 PM. Reason: To add information
Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You will probably need to use ADE on a PC to download the book and send it to the Glo. ADE puts the books inside the "Digital Editions" directory on the device. I don't know if it updates anything else when it does this. So, you might be able to copy the file from the tablet to this directory on the Glo. But, the only way I can think to do this is via a PC. Plus you need the USB connect and disconnect to trigger the firmware looking for new sideloaded books.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
BrianR

I can already download and read books on the tablet with the Android ADE app, but can't find out how to transfer them to the Kobo so that I can read them. I can transfer them, but not read them! I was hoping that someone would have found out how to do this - it doesn't seem to me to require rocket science!
Advert
Old 01-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

No, it's not rocket science. But, it needs the firmware on the device to support the function. Which means that as well as Kobo supporting it, the Adobe RMSDK must also support it.

What I listed in my previous post is my understanding of this. As my sideloads are via calibre, I always strip DRM before doing this, so I haven't really investigated working around it on the device. And I don't remember any discussion about it. The usual DRM discussion is along the lines of "My DRMed book didn't load" and the reply is "Visit Apprentice Alf and then sideload".

But, as you say you have the book on the device, what did you do? Where did you put it? What did you do to get the device to recognise the book?
Old 01-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
BrianR

I copied the book into the root of the "public" partition, which is where the books are stored. It then appeared in the library, but when I opened it I got the message to say that it was not authorised to be read on the Kobo, yet the Id is the same as that of the ADE app on the Xperia, on which you can read it. I don't think Apprentice Alf has any software for Android devices?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC the books need to go into the Digital Editions folder on the Kobo, not the root. Not 100% on this as I don't use ADE with my device and all books I have are DRM free.

Still not sure if that will work or not though, as I'm not sure if ADE (full desktop, not the Android reader) adds just the book or if there's other files created with the transfer. Just a thought on something to try.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
BrianR

On my Kobo, when I view it on Windows File Explorer, I can not see the book files created when a book is transferred to it via ADE on my Windows PC. However, I can transfer non DRMed books to it by copy/paste into the only Kobo drive I can see, E:, and they are readable there. Incidentally, what is "Adobe RMSDK " mentioned by David, and what does "IIRC" mean?
Old 01-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC = If I Remember/Recall Correctly

Adobe RMSDK = Adobe Reader Mobile Software Development Kit. It's basically a software reader engine and also is what allows Adobe DRM'd books to be opened and used.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
BrianR

Thanks Brian - I am still "wet behind the ears" re DRM problems, and it is a steep learning curve.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
On my Kobo, when I view it on Windows File Explorer, I can not see the book files created when a book is transferred to it via ADE on my Windows PC. However, I can transfer non DRMed books to it by copy/paste into the only Kobo drive I can see, E:, and they are readable there.
When you transferred the DRM protected book using ADE, could you see it in the library and read it? If so, look for where it is on the device. As I stated, I believe it will be in the "Digital Editions" directory. ADE creates other files, but I don't know if they are needed for the DRM. Inside the "Digital Editions" directory, there is the "Manifest" directory. ADE or the RMSDK create an XML file in this for every epub they have seen. You might need this created for the DRMed books before the device can open it.

I don't normally bother authorising my ereaders. But, if I have time over the weekend, I'll do some experiments.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #13
BrianR

I can see it in the library and, until to-day, if I transferred it from the PC, I could read it, but now I can't read it. If I transfer it by copy/paste from the Android tablet, I could see it in the library but not read it. When transferred by ADE it is not visible on the device in File Explorer. I have seen the manifest directory; I will have a look in there tomorrow. Thanks for your time.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Try de-authorizing the Kobo from your Adobe account, then re-authorize it. If you were able to load books from ADE to your Kobo and read them, and something has changed that prevents that, it may be that something went 'hinky' and just needs to be reset.

Should be an option in ADE when you've got your Kobo plugged in to your PC with ADE running.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:33 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if it might be related to differing versions of ADE / RMSDK on different devices?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, android