Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #31
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoOrwick View Post
I'll never understand this. Why can't they just add a fullscreen option for kepub that completely disables header and footer? Even better would be adding a slider or something for header and footer size so you can keep one or both, but not have that huge wasted space on top/bottom.
It's been years and we still have to tinker with our config files and patch our devices do to this. It's easy to do, but it gets annoying after a while, especially with all the patches Kobo has been releasing lately.
There is an unofficial full screen view, but it's buggy and needs fixing through CSS. You'll have to know exactly what to put where, and you'll have to use calibre and the extended driver to be able to inject the fixes into each book you upload.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #32
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Or you can just use the patches and enable fullscreen reading mode.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Collection management is a nice feature (and I use it right now), but it's not essential for me. To be able to set weighting on the fonts, you'll have to hack/patch the firmware.
I don't see patching the firmware as much of a hardship...I routinely do it on all my Kobos. I am much happier with the results. It's certainly a far easier process than trying to jailbreak and modify a Kindle (I have done at least 4 different models of Kindles, so I know a little about it).
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #34
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
There is an unofficial full screen view, but it's buggy and needs fixing through CSS. You'll have to know exactly what to put where, and you'll have to use calibre and the extended driver to be able to inject the fixes into each book you upload.
Ok What do I need to put and where?

Wolfsbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #35
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I downloaded and manually updated the firmware, and it re-enabled the wifi I turned off once it stopped being able to connect to anything. Annoying, since it still can't.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2017, 12:13 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is new/changed is this firmware release?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:32 AM   #37
engine5
engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.engine5 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

If you are worried about it, I suggest talking to Kobo. But, it is working OK, and so long as you don't need to do a lot of factory resets, it won't cause to many problems.
Oh, It's working fine -no Need to ask Kobo about this.
Thank you!
engine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #38
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is new/changed is this firmware release?
I don't know, as I can't see any progress, but I can tell you what hasn't. The stats are still off, the charging light still doesn't work while you read and when you want to mark a word you still have to tap the one next to it...

I have faithfully upgraded each time there was a new firmware and apart from the first one which solved the battery run time problem I haven't seen any progress. It starts to get old and tiresome after more than half a year now.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #39
ErikJanVens
ErikJanVens began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
The last two months our Kobo's (my wife has an H2O and I have a Glo) felt unreliable because every time we turned it on we had to click away the "I know how my Kobo works" button on the new homescreen. We didn't like the new homescreen but once you read you don't see that. It was just that this repeating button made the Kobo feel unreliable.
Thanks to a suggestion in this forum to set the affiliate to rakutenbooks for faster upgrades, we now both have the 4.3.9084 firmware and the button is gone (after one last click) and the homescreen looks as it did before. Thanks.
And now on to reading more beautiful books...
ErikJanVens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have a strange thing going on with a Mini. It is the only one running the firmware, so I want to ask if others using the firmware have the strange thing, or if it is my device. Every time I dismiss a tile from the home screen, there is a strange diagonal line bisecting the upper half of the screen for a couple seconds.
I had that since upgrading to 4x firmware on my Glo HD.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #41
Insomniac55
Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo H2O
Is anyone else having trouble with the swipe up/down shortcut for frontlight brightness? On my H2O, the process of lifting my finger off the screen (once the brightness is where I want it) causes the brightness to jump. It is impossible to use the shortcut to set the brightness to exactly where I want it.

How well is it working on other devices?
Insomniac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #42
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac55 View Post
Is anyone else having trouble with the swipe up/down shortcut for frontlight brightness? On my H2O, the process of lifting my finger off the screen (once the brightness is where I want it) causes the brightness to jump. It is impossible to use the shortcut to set the brightness to exactly where I want it.

Not so well on the Aura One with that firmware (or most previous ones afair)
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #43
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:

I'm not having that problem on my Aura One - seems like it works the same as on my Android tablet - Bookari.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #44
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:

I've had this problem with most, if not all, of the firmwares of the KA1. You'd need to set the brightness one step before where you actually want it. If you swipe up and let go, it goes up another step; and it goes down another step when swiping down. At least, it did a few firmwares ago. I haven't used this shortcut since.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #45
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:

I was actually just about to manually update on my H2O. Stand by, I will report back on the brightness shortcut.

UPDATE: The screen seems to flicker every time I lift my finger after swiping up or down to adjust the brightness. Is that what you're seeing too?

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 04-20-2017 at 08:36 PM.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo