Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #181
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Strange the short battery life on your Carta. I hadn't touched my Max in weeks and found it almost fully charged when I turned it on. I had been expecting I would have to charge it.

You might want to have a look at your power settings. I have mine set to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity, and then to power off after 30 minutes of sleep. However, I usually just manually power it off when I don't expect to be using it for a while.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #182
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Wonder if something like Greenify would help.

Personally, having no play store is okay. I would hate to have to deal with wakelocks and things.

Last edited by M4H35H; 06-18-2017 at 12:43 AM.
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:08 AM   #183
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Why the hell is the OS so active when turned off?
I have no problem with the battery life of the MaxCarta. I agree with Question Mark: what are your power settings? The device should turn off after a while when unused.

Last edited by mdp; 06-18-2017 at 07:26 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #184
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I did change power settings to never, figuring that on my other Android devices the screen is the power sucker and on the Onyx it should be zero. Guess I'll have to rethink that approach.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #185
Heawe
Heawe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Boox Pocketbook Inkpad3
Disable G**gle apps, use f-droid instead the g playstore and your battery life is incredible. you don't need root for this, just disabling all apps you don't need.
Heawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #186
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds constructive. Is this fdroid safe? I've always felt safe using Google play store.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #187
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That sounds constructive. Is this fdroid safe? I've always felt safe using Google play store.
There are online services to scan apk files against viruses. And many sites to obtain them.
(Also - although that's not straightforward -, one can compare hashes of the .apk, verify signatures etc.)
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #188
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
I did change power settings to never, figuring that on my other Android devices the screen is the power sucker and on the Onyx it should be zero. Guess I'll have to rethink that approach.
I think that if you adjust your power settings to something more in line with those on my Max, you will find the battery life quite good (unless you frequently use Wifi or Bluetooth).

For regular purposes, I find that the Max powers on quick enough that there really isn't all that much benefit to leaving it continually on or continually in sleep mode. Just wears out the battery quicker with the more frequent need for charging.

For those times when I might need the Max to spring to life immediately, I can always go in and adjust the power settings as needed and then revert them back to my ordinary settings once the need for instant access has passed.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #189
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
I went into Android System --> Battery and it reported battery usage 2d 5h 44m 38s on battery.
Divided by:
Device idle 46%
Android OS 43%
Screen 5%
Wi-Fi 5%
Browser 2%

Why the hell is the OS so active when turned off, and why is there something called Device idle that eats up juice? And more importantly, will 4.4 rectify this?
You realise what % means? Your device may as well be indeed off during most of the time and consumed tiny bit of the battery for actual operation. Still the tiny bit is divided on which part contributed the most for it. For the drain I would say you may have already defective battery or there was an odd issue where the operating system was indeed suspended most of the time but some hardware not, i.e. hardware/driver issue.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #190
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Actually, the battery is fine. I changed settings, charged it again and have now used it for six days and battery is down to only 74%. I only turn on WiFi and Bluetooth when I specifically need it.
Unfortunately, there are still some "glitches" that I need to get used to. When I scribble on a PDF in NeoReader by pressing the styles button to start inking I'll write a letter and then the screen starts flickering twice (maybe thrice) and if I keep on inking during that process the ink is gone once the screen settle down. I assume this is because it needs to change mode from strictly output to accepting input and I guess over time I'll adapt, but right now it is annoying.
I have been able to install OneDrive and WPS Office but Dropbox still doesn't work. I have all my reference PDFs there so that is kind of a PITA, hopefully this should work when Onyx delivers the promised Android 4.4 release.
I have been able to connect several Bluetooth keyboard, with one glaring, and might I add surprising, exception. Microsoft Foldable Universal Keyboard despite specifically starting support for Windows, iOS AND Android will not connect. Go figure!
Old 06-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #191
sdrawkcab945
sdrawkcab945 began at the beginning.

Quick question: Is there a way to calibrate the stylus/has anyone tried to do it?
When taking notes, as mentioned by others, there is a small albeit noticeable distance between where I touched my pen to where the device actually registers the touch. This is particularly annoying when taking smaller annotations on PDFs. The calibration is on point for the middle portion of the screen but is about 2mm off on the top and bottom portion.
sdrawkcab945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #192
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
There is a new retailer supposedly in France on Ebay saying he sells a wide variety of Onyx Boox series for rather low prices. One example: OB Max = 560€.
I think these are fake prices, fake offer and/or fake shop. Shop has a lot of good ratings but I couldn't care less for them. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ONYX-BOOX-MAX...IAAOSwIjJZS02A
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #193
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyer View Post
There is a new retailer supposedly in France on Ebay saying he sells a wide variety of Onyx Boox series for rather low prices. One example: OB Max = 560€.
I think these are fake prices, fake offer and/or fake shop. Shop has a lot of good ratings but I couldn't care less for them. What do you think?

Hi,

those prices are actually impossible. They are lower than our wholesale prices and are declared as including VAT, shipping, Paypal and Ebay fees. Those sellers are not Onyx agents and present themselves as HK companies with warehouse in France. I have contacted those sellers to get some information about warranty, whether they provide valid invoice with French VAT and what shipping company are they using - they didn't reply at all. I assume it is rather something criminal. I have already reported those sellers to Onyx. is it perhaps about stolen and smuggled goods?

Just be careful!

Last edited by Booxtor; 07-06-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #194
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyer View Post

There's already one happy camper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marssaturn View Post
Sony should build chairs - they do not care about usefulness and functionality at all - only the design counts for them. And the Sony is NOT cheaper than the Onyx - it is the other way around. I have ordered the Onyx from eBay sent from France in 5 days for 560 EUR. The Sony comes from USA and costs 830 EUR incl tax if you order it in Germany.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:41 AM   #195
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

those prices are actually impossible. They are lower than our wholesale prices and are declared as including VAT, shipping, Paypal and Ebay fees. Those sellers are not Onyx agents and present themselves as HK companies with warehouse in France. I have contacted those sellers to get some information about warranty, whether they provide valid invoice with French VAT and what shipping company are they using - they didn't reply at all. I assume it is rather something criminal. I have already reported those sellers to Onyx. is it perhaps about stolen and smuggled goods?

Just be careful!
Perhaps Onyx is getting rid of old hardware which is hard to sell at the moment. There is also Max 2 coming soon.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote