Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What do you see after you clear the cache and all of the Amazon related cookies of that specific browser you are using for your tests?
In Firefox, before and after I cleared my cache (but not cookie info) I saw "ebook". Then I logged out of my Amazon account and now it shows as "Kindle". Looked up "Man of Legends" on Amazon in Internet Explorer--which I very rarely use and it shows as "Digital Book".
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
In Firefox, before and after I cleared my cache (but not cookie info) I saw "ebook". Then I logged out of my Amazon account and now it shows as "Kindle". Looked up "Man of Legends" on Amazon in Internet Explorer--which I very rarely use and it shows as "Digital Book".
Welcome to the world of dynamic content web pages.

Logged out: Shows as a "Kindle" book.
Gives the impression that you need to purchase a Kindle device to read it.

Logged in: Shows as an "ebook".
No need to upsale you to purchasing a Kindle device, it assumes (or looks up) you have one already.

I think you could blame the Marketing Department for that behavior.

Windoze: Count yourself lucky that viewing the page does not just show you BSD.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:34 PM   #18
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
For the same book I see "Kindle Edition" after the title and "eBook" in the format choice section.

Added: Perhaps Amazon is trying to make it clear to potential customers that the e-books they sell can be read using apps on all major platforms, not just on Kindle devices.
Except their app for all major platforms is called Kindle? So I'm not sure that it was all that unclear in the first place, LOL!

Somehow Kindle book = Kindle app seems more self explanatory than Digital Book = Kindle app....

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Digital Book sounds more like an app for the Fire tablets.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Digital music.
Digital video.
Digital book.

With all the FUD about "ebook sales are dropping" they may be looking to rename the format to draw in casual readers and trailing edge adopters who might be scared off by the FUD. Also, as many suspect, to ease any confusion that you need a kindle to read the book.

One minor advantage of "digital book" vs generic "ebook" is the BPHs have stopped reporting total ebook sales value and have started lumping them in with a audiobooks as "digital". So, if the "big boys" want to phase out the term ebook in favor of digital, why not humor them?

It's not as if heavy readers will be confused by the change, right?

"A rose by any other name..."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What do you see after you clear the cache and all of the Amazon related cookies of that specific browser you are using for your tests?
"Kindle ebook"
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Digital music.
Digital video.
Digital book.

With all the FUD about "ebook sales are dropping" they may be looking to rename the format to draw in casual readers and trailing edge adopters who might be scared off by the FUD. Also, as many suspect, to ease any confusion that you need a kindle to read the book.

One minor advantage of "digital book" vs generic "ebook" is the BPHs have stopped reporting total ebook sales value and have started lumping them in with a audiobooks as "digital". So, if the "big boys" want to phase out the term ebook in favor of digital, why not humor them?

It's not as if heavy readers will be confused by the change, right?

"A rose by any other name..."
Digital Book doesn't say the format. Amazon could end up with people buying a digital book that won't work with the Reader they have. So really Amazon, go back to Kindle eBook because that says it's a book for Kindles.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Digital Book doesn't say the format. Amazon could end up with people buying a digital book that won't work with the Reader they have. So really Amazon, go back to Kindle eBook because that says it's a book for Kindles.
How? The buy button still asks for what device to send it to.
Kindle ebook doesn't tell the format either.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
How? The buy button still asks for what device to send it to.
Kindle ebook doesn't tell the format either.
Kindle eBook says it's eBook for a Kindle.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh my lovable Jon. You said and I quote "format". Amazon has different formats for different readers. I do believe that most people won't even notice the wording.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Exactly. That is the problem. People might think that a Kindle device is required to read them.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Oh my lovable Jon. You said and I quote "format". Amazon has different formats for different readers. I do believe that most people won't even notice the wording.
What are they up to? Seven?
Mobi 7
Topaz
Kf8
Fixed format
Kfx
Kindle with video (old)
Kindle in motion

I'm pretty sure I'm missing at least one more.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #28
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I'm missing at least one more
AZK (on iOS devices)
Kindle Textbook/Kindle Interactive Edition (enhanced encapsulated PDF)

Last edited by jhowell; 06-26-2017 at 01:43 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
What are they up to? Seven?
Mobi 7
Topaz
Kf8
Fixed format
Kfx
Kindle with video (old)
Kindle in motion

I'm pretty sure I'm missing at least one more.
azw..
Old 06-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
azw..
While AZW used to mean Mobi 7, it's become a catch all extension that could be a lot of different Kindle formats.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote