Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #46
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I keep meaning to get back into this series but every time I look at the books sitting on my reader I remember the 180 odd pages of info dump with nothing actually happening that was the start to War of Honor and I just can't get the motivation up.

Does the series get any better after that? Does the pace pick up a little? Is there less info dumping?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant
War of Honor was particularly bad. Yes, they get back on form, IMO.
So between my last post in 2015 and this evening I read the 4 anthologies and just now finished War of Honor. Jeez Louise War of Honor was a hard slog! 807 pages.........750 pages of info dump conversations, 30 pages of action then another 27 pages of info dump setting up the next book. Sheesh!

I truly hope they get back on track from this point as I loved the first 9 main line books and the anthologies weren't bad either. If the next one is like War of Honor I'll admit defeat and sadly say goodbye to what was a good series that lost its way.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #47
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So between my last post in 2015 and this evening I read the 4 anthologies and just now finished War of Honor. Jeez Louise War of Honor was a hard slog! 807 pages.........750 pages of info dump conversations, 30 pages of action then another 27 pages of info dump setting up the next book. Sheesh!

I truly hope they get back on track from this point as I loved the first 9 main line books and the anthologies weren't bad either. If the next one is like War of Honor I'll admit defeat and sadly say goodbye to what was a good series that lost its way.
The next one At All Costs has a very aggravating romance plot complete with the Law of Inverse Fertility trope (see here ) something particularly annoying in a universe which otherwise appears to have completely reliable birth control. I also found the the main plot which has things fall apart *again* between Manticore and Haven to be little better. The concurrent book The Shadow of Saganami is much, much more readable.

I did find the subsequent books to be better.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #48
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
The next one At All Costs has a very aggravating romance plot complete with the Law of Inverse Fertility trope (see here ) something particularly annoying in a universe which otherwise appears to have completely reliable birth control. I also found the the main plot which has things fall apart *again* between Manticore and Haven to be little better. The concurrent book The Shadow of Saganami is much, much more readable.

I did find the subsequent books to be better.
I'm going to read the 2 book "spy" series next, when they reach the top of my TBR list. I didn't remember it nestled in between No 9 and 10 on pdurrant's list before I read No 10. Then I'll continue on with the suggested reading order.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #49
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I'm going to read the 2 book "spy" series next, when they reach the top of my TBR list. I didn't remember it nestled in between No 9 and 10 on pdurrant's list before I read No 10. Then I'll continue on with the suggested reading order.
By spy series to you mean Crown of Slaves, etc., sometimes called the Wages of Sin books? If so there are actually three books; Crown of Slaves, Torch of Freedom & Cauldron of Ghosts.

As far as chronology I ran across this site which looks pretty complete (missing Shadow of Victory)...
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimw/.../Booklist.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #50
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
This is from the publisher.

http://www.baen.com/images/series/s1000000001.png

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:48 PM   #51
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
By spy series to you mean Crown of Slaves, etc., sometimes called the Wages of Sin books? If so there are actually three books; Crown of Slaves, Torch of Freedom & Cauldron of Ghosts.

As far as chronology I ran across this site which looks pretty complete (missing Shadow of Victory)...
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimw/.../Booklist.html
That's the series. Glad you mentioned the third book as I was just going by the list earlier in this thread and it only mentioned the first 2.