Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Do you have access to these "books"? If so, does it playback in order (by chapter) or randomly like it does with music?
Looking at it in the desktop app, yes I do have access. Clicking on the "Action & Adventure" tab, I selected White Fang - Chapter 1. It is playing fine. Since all the chapters are numbered in order, they will play in order. And keep playing everything in the tab, as it is just a long list.

I don't know if anything is downloadable to a mobile device.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Looking at it in the desktop app, yes I do have access. Clicking on the "Action & Adventure" tab, I selected White Fang - Chapter 1. It is playing fine. Since all the chapters are numbered in order, they will play in order. And keep playing everything in the tab, as it is just a long list.

I don't know if anything is downloadable to a mobile device.
When I had the free version, it never played an album in sequential order. The songs were played randomly and always in a different sequence when I played the album on subsequent occasions.

That's why I asked about the audiobooks. Did you play chapter 1 to the end to verify that chapter2 played next and not some other chapter?

Edit: I can download it, but I have to download the entire Action & Adventure playlist.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-17-2016 at 08:22 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When I had the free version, it never played an album in sequential order. The songs were played randomly and always in a different sequence when I played the album on subsequent occasions.

That's why I asked about the audiobooks. Did you play chapter 1 to the end to verify that chapter2 played next and not some other chapter?

Edit: I can download it, but I have to download the entire Action & Adventure playlist.
Yes, I skipped to the end of chapter 1 and it went right into chapter 2. Again, on my desk top.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I skipped to the end of chapter 1 and it went right into chapter 2. Again, on my desk top.
Thanks; I'm glad to hear that.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:46 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

SoundCloud Go
  • Price --> $9.99/mo for unlimited listening
  • Period -->
  • Trial --> free 30-day trial
  • Catalog --> unknown audio tracks (135+ million tracks total)
  • Format --> Android, iOS
  • Offline --> offline listening allowed
  • Availability -->
  • Owner --> SoundCloud Ltd - Berlin
Quote:
SoundCloud is a global online audio distribution platform based in Berlin, Germany, that enables its users to upload, record, promote, and share their originally-created sounds. According to the company’s data, in December 2014, the service attracts more than 175 million unique monthly listeners, while content creators upload about 12 hours worth of audio every minute. Founders Alexander Ljung and Eric Wahlforss are the chief executive officer (CEO) and chief technical officer (CTO), respectively.

SoundCloud was originally founded in Stockholm, Sweden, but was established in Berlin in August 2007 by Swedish sound designer Ljung and Swedish artist Wahlforss. The founders initially aspired to allow musicians to share recordings with each other, but the concept later transformed into a full publishing tool that also allowed musicians to distribute their music tracks.

On March 29, 2016, SoundCloud launched its subscription music streaming service, SoundCloud Go.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-04-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:10 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible Channels for Prime -- DISCONTINUED
  • Released --> Audible Channels for Prime -- 13 Sep 2016

• Price --> FREE with paid Audible and/or Prime memberships
  • Period --> unlimited listening
  • Trial --> free 1-3 month trial with Audible and/or Prime trial offers

• Catalog --> 56 audiobooks --> Prime members only
  • Catalog --> 94 channels

• Format --> Android, iOS, Win 10, Fire 5th & 6th Gen
  • Offline --> Audiobooks: NOT allowed
  • Offline --> Channels: allowed for Android, iOS, Win 10 | NOT allowed for Fire tablets

• Availability -->
  • Owner --> Audible | Amazon
  • Thread --> Audible Channels
Quote:
What is Audible Channels?

Audible Channels provides on-demand listening to original audio series, plus playlists handcrafted for every interest and refreshed daily, drawing from news, comedy shows, articles, talks and more!

Audible.com, Amazon Prime members, and those who share an Amazon Household with an Audible.com or Prime member have access to unlimited Channels listening as part of their membership benefits.

Amazon Prime members additionally get access to our Prime-exclusive audiobook channels featuring full-length audiobooks from best sellers, family favorites, celebrity-narrated classics, and more.

You can only access Channels through the Audible app for iOS, Android, Windows 10, and 5th and 6th Generation Fire Tablets (Fire 7", Fire HD 8", and Fire HD 10"). Follow and listen to as many channels as you like! You can stream channels content or download individual items within a channel for offline listening. For the latest information on Channels, click or tap here.

Note:Channels content cannot be downloaded on Fire Tablets.
Quote:
Introducing the Newest Prime Benefit – Audible Channels for Prime

Members can now access episodic short-form audio programming with Audible Channels, and a rotating selection of audiobooks, free with Prime

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 13, 2016-- (NASDAQ:AMZN)—Amazon and Audible today announced a new premium spoken-word benefit for Prime members in the U.S. Members now enjoy unlimited free access to the new short-form digital audio service, Audible Channels, as well as a rotating selection of more than 50 audiobooks from Audible’s catalog. Audible Channels for Prime now joins the growing list of all-you-can-eat benefits for Prime members including guaranteed unlimited fast, free shipping, unlimited access to Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Photos, early access to Lightning Deals and more. Prime members can access Audible Channels for Prime by downloading the Audible app for iOS, Android, and Windows 10. To learn more about Audible Channels for Prime, please visit www.amazon.com/audiblechannels.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-21-2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:32 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Prime Reading -- rental only -- KU/Prime only
Quote:
Prime Reading is a subset of Kindle Unlimited and offers a small fraction of its content.
Quote:
Books with Audible Narration in Prime Reading

You can enjoy Prime Reading books with Audible Narration on iOS and Android phones and tablets, Fire tablets and Alexa devices through the free Kindle app and Audible's free listening app. Look for the Prime Reading "Read and Listen Free" on Kindle book pages or browse our catalog below to find titles with Audible narration included in your Prime Reading benefit.
Quote:
Introducing Prime Reading – The Newest Benefit for Prime Members

Prime members are now able to read as much as they like from a selection of over a thousand top Kindle books, magazines, short works, comic books, children’s books and more – all at no additional cost.

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 5, 2016-- (NASDAQ: AMZN) – Amazon today introduced Prime Reading, a new reading benefit for U.S. Prime members. Prime members can now enjoy unlimited reading from a rotating selection of books, magazines, comics and more – at no additional cost. Prime Reading joins the growing list of all-you-can-eat benefits for Prime members including unlimited fast, free Prime shipping, unlimited access to Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Photos, Audible Channels, early access to Lightning Deals and more. Members can start reading now by downloading the Kindle app for iOS and Android or using any Kindle or Fire tablet. To learn more about Prime Reading or start a 30-day free trial of Prime, please visit amazon.com/primereading.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-03-2024 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

My 13 yo daughter has discovered podcasts on Spotify. She is hooked!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I've decided to keep Scribd for audio books for a little while. They have a lot of them that my libraries don't have.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I've decided to keep Scribd for audio books for a little while. They have a lot of them that my libraries don't have.
How many audiobooks are available for the $8.99 monthly fee without incurring extra costs?

Also, don't forget about Downpour. They also have a rental program and most audiobooks are in the $5.95~$6.95/book range.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
How many audiobooks are available for the $8.99 monthly fee without incurring extra costs?

Also, don't forget about Downpour. They also have a rental program and most audiobooks are in the $5.95~$6.95/book range.
Only 1 a month. Also when I was hunting in the FAQ it said additional audio book credits are 12.99, which was news to me!

But there is also a selection of unlimited audio books, which can be listened to without a credit. I have a few of those in my list.

I couldn't find any of the books in my Scribd list available to rent at Downpour.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Amazon Kids+
  • Released ---- 05 Dec 2012 -- Introducing FreeTime Unlimited
  • Rebranded -- 14 Sep 2020 -- Introducing Amazon Kids and Amazon Kids+
  • Price Chng -- 08 Jun 2022 -- Amazon simplifying pricing structure for Kids+

• Pricing Plans -- price change 08 Jun 2022
  • Trial ----- FREE 1-mo trial
  • Single --- $2.99/mo (Prime) | $4.99/mo (non-Prime)
  • Family -- $4.99/mo $6.99/mo (Prime) | $7.99/mo $9.99/mo (non-Prime)
  • Family -- $48.00/yr $69.00/yr (Prime) | $79.00/yr $99.00/yr (non-Prime)

• Catalog -- 20,000+ books, movies, Audible books, games
  • Ages -- 3 to 5 yrs | 6 to 8 yrs | 9 to 12 yrs
  • Period -- unlimited listening | duration of subscription

• Format --- AA/AAX (DRM)
  • Devices -- Android, Chrome, iOS | Echo, Fire, Kindle, Fire TV
  • Offline -- allowed

Introducing Amazon Kids and Amazon Kids+ -- details
Quote:
The kid-friendly experience families love, now with more content and features designed just for kids.

Since the launch of Amazon FreeTime and FreeTime Unlimited, over 20 million parents have trusted Amazon to give them the parental controls they need to provide a safe place for their children to enjoy the premium books, games, shows, and movies that kids love. Today, we’re announcing a change in the names of these services—Amazon FreeTime and Amazon FreeTime Unlimited are becoming Amazon Kids and Amazon Kids+. You’ll see this change roll out over the coming months.

The new names reflect our continued commitment to invest in and expand kids’ experiences, including bringing fun, educational content to kids and providing parental controls that give families peace of mind. Amazon Kids+ already offers more than 20,000 books, movies, Audible books, games, and Spanish-language content designed just for kids. Today, we’re bringing even more content and features we hope families will love.
  • Spoiler:
    Quote:
    Unlimited access to thousands of kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games.

FreeTime Unlimited is an all-in-one subscription that gives kids access to thousands of kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games on compatible Fire, Android and Kindle devices. Plus, kids can enjoy hundreds of hours of fun with ad-free radio stations and playlists, Audible books, and a growing list of premium kid’s skills available on compatible Echo devices.

Parents also receive access to easy-to-use parental controls that allow them to find the right balance between education and entertainment. Parents can personalize screen time limits, set educational goals, filter age-appropriate content, and also manage web browsing and content usage based on their preferences.
    Quote:
    Introducing “Kindle FreeTime Unlimited”—The All-You-Can-Eat Content Service Built From the Ground Up Just for Kids—Available Exclusively on the All-New Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD

For the first time ever, bringing together all the types of content kids and parents love—books, games, educational apps, movies and TV shows—into one simple, easy-to-use service for kids ages 3-8

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 5, 2012-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today introduced Kindle FreeTime Unlimited, bringing together for the first time all of the types of content kids and parents love—books, games, educational apps, movies and TV shows—into one simple, unlimited, easy-to-use service for kids ages 3-8. For a special monthly price of just $2.99 per child or $6.99 for the whole family, Prime members get unlimited access to thousands of popular kids titles. Customers who are not yet Prime members can sign up for FreeTime Unlimited for a monthly price of $4.99 per child or $9.99 per family. FreeTime Unlimited will be available on the all-new Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HD 8.9” as part of a free, over-the-air software update that will be automatically delivered in the coming weeks.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 06-15-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:16 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible Escape -- DISCONTINUED
Quote:
The Hottest Names. The Hottest Listens.

Indulge in best sellers, Audible Originals, and Audible exclusives from your favorite authors and celebrity narrators—plus, take advantage of new features, like browse by Steaminess score, Character Type, and Story Theme.
Quote:
Introducing Audible Romance: Access Unlimited Steamy Stories and Provocative Performances for $14.95 Per Month, or $6.95 Per Month with Audible Membership

First dedicated romance service for listeners showcases binge-worthy tales by Nora Roberts, Robyn Carr, Sylvia Day, Debbie Macomber, Kristen Ashley, Lauren Blakely, and more, performed by Blair Underwood, Dermot Mulroney, Jesse Metcalfe and other seductive voices

NEWARK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Audible Inc., the world’s largest seller and producer of downloadable audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment, today announced the release of the Audible Romance package, an all-inclusive offering featuring unlimited access to over ten thousand romance audiobooks, bestsellers, and Audible Originals for $6.95 a month as an add-on to Audible membership, and $14.95 a month as a standalone service. Audible Romance is available at www.audible.com/romanceme.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-21-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #29
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

That article is fine but needs clarification, for new readers to this forum. The Audible Romance package is $6.95 with membership to Audible and/OR Kindle Unlimited Subscription. One does not need to subscribe to Audible if one has KU, in order to get the great price.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Amazon Rapids -- DISCONTINUED

Amazon Rapids has been discontinued
Quote:
The Amazon Rapids application is no longer supported. To find stories for kids from Amazon, you can use the Amazon Storytime skill on Alexa-enabled devices, listen to audiobooks available through FreeTime Unlimited, or browse the Kindle store for children's books.
Quote:
Amazon Announces Rapids - A Playful Approach to Reading for Today’s Connected Kids

New App Features Fun, Engaging Short Stories Told in a Unique Chat Style

Amazon Rapids Offers Readers Ages 7-12 Hundreds of Illustrated, Original Stories with Dozens More Added Monthly

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 2, 2016-- (NASDAQ: AMZN) – Today, Amazon announced a new app that offers a playful approach to children’s reading. Amazon Rapids offers illustrated short stories written in a unique chat style that brings stories to life, one message at a time. Stories on Amazon Rapids are told through the lens of characters chatting with each other, from an alien texting about invading Earth to two chickens debating if they should cross the street. The app is available for iOS, Android and Amazon Fire devices, and offers hundreds of original stories, with dozens of new ones added monthly. Parents who sign up now can subscribe at a special introductory rate of $2.99 per month to give their kids unlimited access to short stories. Parents can start a free two week trial at http://rapids.amazon.com.

more...
Quote:
Amazon Rapids, the chat fiction for kids, is now free

Amazon Rapids, the chat fiction that encourages kids to read by presenting stories in the form of text message conversations, is now going free. Previously, Amazon had been charging $2.99 per month for a subscription that allows unlimited access to its story collection, which now numbers in the hundreds.

First launched in November 2016, Amazon Rapids was meant to capitalize on kids’ interest in chat fiction apps like Hooked, Yarn, Tap and others, which tend to cater to a slightly older teenage crowd. Amazon Rapids, meanwhile, was the schoolager-appropriate version, without the swearing, alcohol, sex and yeah, even incest references you’ll find in the Hooked app, for example. (Yuck. Delete.)

Instead, Amazon Rapids’ stories are aimed at kids ages 5 to 12 and generally just silly and fun. They’re not meant to addict kids through the use of cliffhangers and timeouts, nor are they scary.
Quote:
Amazon Rapids, a reading app offering hundreds of short stories for kids ages 5 – 12, is now free for all Amazon customers. Read short stories in the app, and listen to select radio-play adaptations in the free Amazon Storytime Alexa skill. Just say, “Alexa, read me a bedtime story”.

Amazon Rapids, a reading app offering hundreds of short stories for kids ages 5 – 12, is now free for all Amazon customers. Read short-stories in the app, and listen to them in the free Amazon Storytime Alexa skill. Just say, “Alexa, open Amazon Storytime”

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-21-2022 at 08:25 AM.