Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-22-2024, 03:16 AM   #1
MRM66
Connoisseur
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara Col.Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 & Kindle 2.
Question Need Advice regarding reading in the summer

I read all my books I have converted through Calibre 4.15, on my Android tablet
No problem.
I still use my old kindle 2nd generation also by downloading books by USB through Amazon. Then transfering them to the kindle.
That is perfect forwhen I sit in the garden and read.
As cannot see the screen on my tablet then.

However the micro socket i plug my kindle into to charge does not always work.

So have been thinking about buying a new kindle for that.

But won't it stop me converting the books I buy andsaving them into calbre
Which I have been using for ages and helps me stop buying the same book twice
As books seem to change tiles and covers
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:18 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Buy a Libra 2 instead?
I also had a 2nd Gen Kindle, and don't regret the move to the Libra 2
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2024, 03:24 AM   #3
MRM66
Connoisseur

Thanks for replying.
I am in uk
Want something cheap if possible. As would not use it every day.
Not heard of Libra 2.
Had an old Kobo years ago.
Cant remember much about it.
Need something that I can sideload books onto
Old 05-22-2024, 04:23 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Libra2 is a Kobo model. Not the cheapest, but very nice and it has page turn buttons. It also has Blutooth for Audio book playback (AFAIK no file transfer)

All Kobo's can be side loaded. No Walled Garden, but still has a store if you want to go that way.

My personal pref is to avoid Kindle's because of the effort they appear to make to discourage Side loading (and calibre access to managed collections)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:17 AM   #5
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Libra2 is a Kobo model. Not the cheapest, but very nice and it has page turn buttons. It also has Blutooth for Audio book playback (AFAIK no file transfer)

All Kobo's can be side loaded. No Walled Garden, but still has a store if you want to go that way.

My personal pref is to avoid Kindle's because of the effort they appear to make to discourage Side loading (and calibre access to managed collections)
Had thought kindle was the only option
But just reading about the Kobo Clara Colour. That may suit me maybe and solve my problems.
Says I can add my library to it also.
But not Google.

Also kobo books seem dearer and limited choice.
Will have a think as all the answers here are great
Plus it's raining today so no rush to buy.
Advert
Old 05-22-2024, 07:17 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I read ebooks that are PD (about 90%) and ebooks from anywhere except Apple and Barnes & Noble. Even Amazon ebooks on my Kobo.

The Kobo Libra Colour is really 150 dpi vs a real 300 dpi on the Libra 2, Sage etc. It does have a 300 dpi mode for mono content, but the coloured dots in a 2x2 pattern are still there degrading brightness, contrast and resolution. It's also much darker. The modern mono eink can all be read in most indoor ambient lighting without the front-light. The Kobo Colour models and all colour eink needs a bright front light, or bright light, though greyer in full sunlight.

Kobo Libra 2 is 7″ and sketchpad works with a Kobo and most MS Pens. The Libra Sage is 8″ and has notebooks. But I'd not bother with the pen or notebooks or sketch.

Kobo supports title, author, collection, series and subtitle from Calibre. And ebook covers.

A Calibre Plug-in only needs your Kindle Serial ID (Can be copy/pasted from your Amazon account) to read downloaded Kindle eink compatible titles from Amazon. So don't dispose of Kindle or deregister!

Last edited by Quoth; 05-22-2024 at 07:21 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:22 AM   #7
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I read ebooks that are PD (about 90%) and ebooks from anywhere except Apple and Barnes & Noble. Even Amazon ebooks on my Kobo.

The Kobo Libra Colour is really 150 dpi vs a real 300 dpi on the Libra 2, Sage etc. It does have a 300 dpi mode for mono content, but the coloured dots in a 2x2 pattern are still there degrading brightness, contrast and resolution. It's also much darker. The modern mono eink can all be read in most indoor ambient lighting without the front-light. The Kobo Colour models and all colour eink needs a bright front light, or bright light, though greyer in full sunlight.

Kobo Libra 2 is 7″ and sketchpad works with a Kobo and most MS Pens. The Libra Sage is 8″ and has notebooks. But I'd not bother with the pen or notebooks or sketch.

Kobo supports title, author, collection, series and subtitle from Calibre. And ebook covers.

A Calibre Plug-in only needs your Kindle Serial ID (Can be copy/pasted from your Amazon account) to read downloaded Kindle eink compatible titles from Amazon. So don't dispose of Kindle or deregister!
Just want one that's a good price and for an occasional read outside. Colour seems a bonus.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:58 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A potential issue is that calibre 4.15 was released years back and will not recognize most devices released in the last 4 years.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:02 AM   #9
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A potential issue is that calibre 4.15 was released years back and will not recognize most devices released in the last 4 years.
Knew there ould be a problem!
Now when I can charge my old kindle I add books to it just like a hard drive. From a folder not through calibre. It works that way.
Just found my old kobo touch in the cupboard. It won't charge fully. But does not recognise the computer.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:05 AM   #10
MRM66
Connoisseur

So cannot add a book to it.
Also stuck with calibre 4.15 as don't feel up to adding new plug ins if a later ones don't convert.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:31 PM   #11
MRM66
Connoisseur

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Thinking about going with the Kobo Clara Colour. Price I can handle & possible to side load books of which I already have many in calibre.
Thanks to this forum putting me off another Kindle which would have wrecked my converting.
Though the weather here has changed to cold and wet, so won't be reading outside this week! Supposed to be nearly summer. Bet yours is much better

Last edited by MRM66; 05-23-2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:55 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post

Though the weather here has changed to cold and wet, so won't be reading outside this week! Supposed to be nearly summer. Bet yours is much better
But I thought that was NORMAL for the UK

(I was there for 3 weeks in 85'. We had 1 day when it did not Rain some during the day)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:59 AM   #13
MRM66
Connoisseur

Question

Before I order a kobo clara colour can someone to tell how to sideload books to it please
At the start it will be books I have already in calibre.
Just so I am sure. Thanks.

Last edited by MRM66; 05-24-2024 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:07 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
Before I order a kobo clara colour can someone to tell how to sideload books to it please?
Just so I am sure. Thanks.
Plug it into a computer running calibre 7.10 or later. Install the Kobo Utilities plugin. Your new Kobo should automatically be mounted when you connect it to your computer's USB C port and calibre will recognize it. You can then jump into the discussions of what else you need to do. Sideloading is pretty much the same using Send to Device no matter what ereader you have that calibre recognizes.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:48 AM   #15
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Plug it into a computer running calibre 7.10 or later. Install the Kobo Utilities plugin. Your new Kobo should automatically be mounted when you connect it to your computer's USB C port and calibre will recognize it. You can then jump into the discussions of what else you need to do. Sideloading is pretty much the same using Send to Device no matter what ereader you have that calibre recognizes.
I only have calibre 4.15.
As it works well to convert and am worried to change it as am an oldie.
Can I still install the Kobo Utilities?
Only have just ordered the Kobo Clara Colour