Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5th
Paperwhite 5th generation firmware stuck

Paperwhite 5th generation firmware is stuck on 5.4.4.2. It downloads 5.6.1.1 but it doesn't install. It's been like this for years, left it in airplane mode and deleted the update bin so it wouldn't constantly try tioinstall the update. It was working fine but recently it got deregistered and now it fails to register with the WiFi connected. Books can only be loaded by USB now.
I've tried manually updating and attempted downgrading the firmware but nothing works. The first 4 of serial number is B01C.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Call Amazon and tell them of your problem. See what they are prepared to do.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...le_5.6.1.1.bin
Download it and put to the usb-root of the device. Then reboot with the power button long press.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
imaddicted2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...le_5.6.1.1.bin
Download it and put to the usb-root of the device. Then reboot with the power button long press.
Thanks, did that still stuck at 5.4.4.2 after the long press restart.
Any other ideas?
Old 12-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
imaddicted2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Call Amazon and tell them of your problem. See what they are prepared to do.
Thanks, did that after it first happened. They offered a small discount on a replacement at the time. It still connected and downloaded at the time. So didn't take them up on it.
It downloads 5.6.1.1 over WiFi and reboots every time it sleeps to try to install the update, it does this over and over. I've tried to download the update and install via USB as well, makes no difference.
Now though, it won't connect. I think it's because it's stuck on 5.4.4.2.
I was hoping someone might know a trick to force the update to install.
Advert
Old 12-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Have you tried leaving it on a wall charger for 48 hours, then let it try to update while still on the wall charger?

Maybe the battery is giving out while it tries to update.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Thanks, did that after it first happened. They offered a small discount on a replacement at the time. It still connected and downloaded at the time. So didn't take them up on it.
It downloads 5.6.1.1 over WiFi and reboots every time it sleeps to try to install the update, it does this over and over. I've tried to download the update and install via USB as well, makes no difference.
Now though, it won't connect. I think it's because it's stuck on 5.4.4.2.
I was hoping someone might know a trick to force the update to install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Have you tried leaving it on a wall charger for 48 hours, then let it try to update while still on the wall charger?

That might help, if not, then freeze it before putting on the wall charger.

Literally, freeze it.
Put a soft cloth around it before freezing, so it does not gather moisture (humidity) when you later take it out of the freezer.
Put in freezer for at least over night, better if for 24 hours.
Remove from freezer (keep soft cloth on it), hook to wall charger, hold power button long enough for it to reboot (even if you see nothing on the screen).
Ignore the light if it is on, you can't trust it until the device is running normally again.
Leave on wall charger at least two days (as mentioned above), or longer would be even better, it can take a long time to reboot (days) in some cases.
Note, you may have to repeat the whole routine above two or three times.

Known to work on all devices from K5 (KT) to KT3 and PW4.
I.E: All series 5.x firmware devices.
And sometimes, the K3 keyboard.

Last edited by knc1; 12-19-2019 at 10:00 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
DANG when did the 5th come out??
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
DANG when did the 5th come out??
2012. This is the very first Paperwhite and that's just how Amazon refers to it.

The current generation Paperwhite (PW4, waterproof) is considered 10th generation.

Blame Amazon for the nomenclature.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #10
imaddicted2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

Thanks, the battery is fine and I did try letting it update while plugged in as well.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:59 AM   #11
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
If none of the above, very good suggestions work perhaps you may be wandering into seldom seen error territory.

Possibly corrupt update downloads if your wifi is spotty? You could try a different wifi or manually download the update on your PC and transfer it to the root directory of your Kindle via USB.

Perhaps your device didn't get the mandatory 2016 cert update, some random file got corrupted, et cetera. You could look into logs, a serial port adapter is one way to get a detailed look at what your Kindle system is doing and help pinpoint what is failing when your Kindle tries to update.

Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #12
imaddicted2u

Thanks,
The WiFi here is good. However I have manually downloaded the update file and tried to force the install, same result. Did that with Amazon on the phone years ago when the update first failed, they couldn't figure out why.
I tried to roll back to previous versions but it didn't take those either.
The mandatory update was likely missed, that may be why it can't login anymore. Although it still downloads and attempts to install the 5.6.1.1 update.
I believe I have a serial port adapter kicking around here somewhere. I just found this excellent forum a couple of days ago and haven't had a chance to have a good look around. I'll do some more research and see what I can learn about tinkering with this old paperwhite. Worst thing I can do it make it a paperweight...lol
Old 12-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Thanks, the battery is fine and I did try letting it update while plugged in as well.
Which is nothing at all (technically) like what j.p.s. and I have suggested that you do.
Just try following the directions you are given when you present a problem, it just might be helpful (to you, not us, we don't have time to care).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
2012. This is the very first Paperwhite and that's just how Amazon refers to it.

The current generation Paperwhite (PW4, waterproof) is considered 10th generation.

Blame Amazon for the nomenclature.
I Do I Do Blame Amazon! for the information
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #15
imaddicted2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which is nothing at all (technically) like what j.p.s. and I have suggested that you do.
Just try following the directions you are given when you present a problem, it just might be helpful (to you, not us, we don't have time to care).
I guess I should have answered j.p.s question/suggestion with "yes".
As to freezing it, I did try that after the issue first occurred. I suppose I followed you directions before they were given...;-)
Thanks for your input. Glad you took the time to care. Much appreciated.