Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #31
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
Can I join in? I am new to MR and this seems like fun.

1). Dracula by Bram Stoker
literature, horror; free at Manybooks.net

2). Moby Dick by Herman Melville
literature, adventure; free at Manybooks.net

3). The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
mystery; free at Manybooks.net

4). Time Machine by H. G. Wells
literature, adventure; free at Manybooks.net

5). Dead or Alive by Dean Koontz
thriller; purchased at WalMart
final book in the trilogy of Frankenstein

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #32
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Five? How am I supposed to choose?

The Heirs of Alexandria series by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and David Freer ( The first book is Free) ( Fantasy)

The Tinker novels by Wen Spencer ( available at Webscriptions) ( Futuristic Fantasy?)

The Walker Papers by C.E Murphy ( Available at Omnilit and probably all the other retailers too. ( Urban Fantasy)

Married by Mistake by Abby Gaines ( available for free ) ( Contemporary Romance)

The Naked Gentleman by Sally Mackenzie ( Available at Omnilit)
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #33
dmaus
dmaus began at the beginning.

Device: smartphone
Moby Dick
http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Brothers Karamazov
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Plutarch Lives

20000 Leagues Under the Sea
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ebook&gs_rfai=

The Inferno ~ Dante
dmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #34
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's quite hard to limit to 5 when I want to recommend the entire Discworld series.
Would you mind telling me what you like about them so much? I heard about them before, but I never really bothered getting into them, discarding them as too geeky-fantasy-strange. Can you dispel my prejudices?
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #35
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Would you mind telling me what you like about them so much? I heard about them before, but I never really bothered getting into them, discarding them as too geeky-fantasy-strange. Can you dispel my prejudices?
I can tell you what I like about Discworld.
Whimsical, funny, suitable to all age groups.
Can be read stand-alone and enjoyed
Easy reading and all around nice.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #36
phonetouch5
Got Touch Phones
phonetouch5 began at the beginning.

Device: none
yes this is right that DO NOT REPEAT a book that someone else has listed.

gottouchphones.com
phonetouch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #37
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I can tell you what I like about Discworld.
Whimsical, funny, suitable to all age groups.
Can be read stand-alone and enjoyed
Easy reading and all around nice.
I like easy reads. I looked into it a little more now and it sounds interesting. I think I'll give it a try soon

My 5. I didn't really check if they are available as ebooks.

1. Faust - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Self explanatory. Magnificent language - even the translation captures large parts of its beauty.

2. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

No-brainer

3. Das Parfum (The Perfume) - Patrick Süskind

A book that's a little different. Beautifully written.

4. A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams

A play drenched with emotions. I can only recommend it to the few that haven't read it

5. Den skrattande polisen (The Laughing Policeman) - Maj Sjöwall / Per Wahlöö

A truly great work of crime / detective stories. It's sinister, yet bright and the story is exceedingly clever in my opinion.
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #38
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
1. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (being completed posthumously by Brandon Sanderson), Fantasy, available from most major bookshops

2. The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop, Fantasy, Books on Board and other US based retailers

3. The Battleaxe trilogy by Sara Douglass, Fantasy, available from most major retailers

4. Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce, YA Fantasy, available from most major retailers

5. Magician by Raymond Feist, Fantasy (actually not sure if this is available in ebook format yet, but I'm sure it won't be too far away)
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr_nz View Post
1. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (being completed posthumously by Brandon Sanderson), Fantasy, available from most major bookshops

2. The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop, Fantasy, Books on Board and other US based retailers

3. The Battleaxe trilogy by Sara Douglass, Fantasy, available from most major retailers

4. Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce, YA Fantasy, available from most major retailers

5. Magician by Raymond Feist, Fantasy (actually not sure if this is available in ebook format yet, but I'm sure it won't be too far away)
The list has to be single books. So series do not actually count. So You'll have to pick different ones from the series you've picked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #40
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
This is great, guys! Keep 'em coming! I am totally okay with nominating a series as one entry. I want to see as many replies as possible so we have the biggest possible list and can refer newcomers to a great list of books to read.
Sorry, not going to pick one fav out of a series when I can nominate a series as an entry.
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #41
amy.patkins
amy.patkins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydcarts View Post
1. Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut (Fiction)
2. The Prince - Nicolo Machiavelli (Political Science)
3. The Republic - Plato (Philosophy)
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (Science Fiction)
5. Hamlet - Shakespeare (Literature)
I'd post my own list, but boydcarts kinda nailed it!
amy.patkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #42
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The list has to be single books. So series do not actually count. So You'll have to pick different ones from the series you've picked.
You've already nominated a series:
Quote:
I can use slot #1 for all of Discworld.
And the OP is ok with it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am totally okay with nominating a series as one entry. I want to see as many replies as possible so we have the biggest possible list and can refer newcomers to a great list of books to read.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote