Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Recommendations Wanted: Australian-set Books by Australian Writers

I'm on a bit of a foreign* writer kick at the moment, as I'm finding it an amazing way to get genuine insight into another culture.

My latest discovery is the South African crime writer Deon Meyer. When I read his books it almost feels like I'm reading a science fiction or fantasy book, in that his stories are set in a whole other world, with another set of cultural values, terminology and geography than one that I'm used to.

And unlike with sci-fi and fantasy, I like that when reading a foreign author, who is primarily writing for his local audience, you don't get any of the explanatory exposition and self-concious world-building you often get in those other genres.

Anyway... as the thread title would suggest, I'm looking for recommendations of Australian authors that write stories set in Australia. Anyone's got any suggestions?

* Foreign to me, obviously.

Last edited by K. Molen; 10-17-2012 at 09:15 PM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Three of my favourites;

I Can Jump Puddles - Allan Marshall
Harp in the South - Ruth Park
A Forutunate Life - Albert Facey
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I'm currently reading The Tomorrow Series by Australian author John Marsden and enjoying it very much. You might want to explore his other books, as well.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
[waves hand wildly] Two of my very favorites:

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
The Secret River by Kate Grenville

I have a bit of a "thing" for Australian fiction, which might be a bit odd since I've never even been there.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Seeing as you listed Deon Meyer I've gone with crime authors Peter Temple, Peter Corris and Shane Maloney
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
Kerry Greenwood writes quirky detective stories set in Melbourne - the Phryne Fisher series in the 1920s, and the Corinna Chapman series, which is set in contemporary Melbourne. One of each of these series is currently discounted by Poisoned Pen Press.

"The Fortunes of Richard Mahoney", by Henry Handel Richardson, is a classic Australian novel, set in the days of the Victorian gold rush. The author was actually a woman, Ethel Florence Richardson.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I liked all of David Crooks' books. They cover a variety of topics, but are all historical fiction usually based on a true story.

In the mystery genre, it is hard to beat Vicki Tyley's books. Very well-written, taut, suspense stories. I think of her as the Australian P.D. James.

Also in historical fiction, if you are willing to go for a New Zealander, try the books by Shayne Parkinson. Nearly everyoine I know who has read her books has praised them.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Other authors you could read include Lennie Lower, John O'Grady (Nino Culotta) and Frank Hardy.

However, if it's a feel for relatively contemporary culture you're after, melmac's recommended Peter Temple, Peter Corris and Shane Maloney are definitely your best bets.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
mahler9
mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Paperwhite
"Voss" by Patrick White, a tremendous novel set mostly in the Outback...

http://www.amazon.com/Voss-Penguin-C...&keywords=voss
mahler9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Wow, lots of suggestions here. Thanks a lot everyone, I'll be sure to look into each recommendation before I pick my next read. Bookmarking this thread too, as I'm sure I'll be referring back to it.

Thanks again.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There's the Outback Series, by Aaron Fletcher.

Unfortunately, only one of the books is available as an ebook: Outback Station, located at

http://www.amazon.com/Outback-Statio...0571895&sr=1-1

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
One of my favorite writers is Kate Morton. She is Australian, but most of her books are set in the UK. Her best (IMO), The Forgotten Garden, is set in both the UK and Australia.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Vicki Tyley ... She's actually a New Zealander but has lived in Australia many years and she's an MR member, her Crime Thrillers are ALL fantastic see

http://www.vickityley.com/

She's Available on Amazon and many other booksites,

Very Highly Recommended,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I like the classics, though they're obviously not going to give you much insight into contemporary Australia. I read a lot more contemporary Australiana as a kid.

Miles Franklin - My Brilliant Career (but she should have gone with the other guy...)
Ethel Turner - Seven Little Australians (our answer to Little Women)
Mary Durack - Kings in Grass Castles
Elyne Mitchell - The Silver Brumby series (for children)
Colin Thiele - esp February Dragon (no, not fantasy. Mostly children/YA fiction, but contemporary.)

For contemporary cultural insight, your best bet might be family sagas / romantic dramas like those of Judy Nunn.

For a SF take, try
Sean McMullen
Isobelle Carmody (beware that the Obernewtyn series is still not finished after 25 years and only 6 books so far, though Wikipedia tells me that the last is due next year.)
Cordwainer Smith - Norstrilia (ok, he's not Australian and the book is not set in Australia, strictly speaking)

And of course there is
Terry Pratchett - The Last Continent. As stated in the blurb, it is "not a book about Australia. It’s just vaguely Australian."
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Just read a delightful novel:

The Cartographer
Peter Twohig

It's about an 11 year old boy in 1959 Melbourne (Aus), who takes himself on many adventures with wonderful zeal and adventure.

A mixture of a boys own (for adults to read) and an espionage novel for tweens.

Wonderful, especially as it's a first novel.

Amazon's got it:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cartograph.../dp/B005U7CVL4

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 10-28-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote