Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
wcott
Enthusiast
wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo
can't find titles on a Vox

OK...I'm helping a friend with his new Vox. I've used Caliber as my ebook manager for my Kobo - and so I'm familiar with it, and the Kobo in general. So, I've put Caliber on his computer. When we connect his Vox to the computer, as message comes up, saying something like "USB storage", and he's got to click OK on that before the Vox shows as a device on Caliber.
I tried downloading some epub titles, and put them on Caliber. I then sent those titles to his device. They register as ON his Vox, but when he disconnects his device, they don't show as in his library. He's got a couple of books that he's previously purchased on his Vox, but when I click on "device", it doesn't show those titles as being on the device at all.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Last edited by wcott; 01-15-2012 at 11:01 PM.
wcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Droid
Droid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipseDroid can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
You've *almost* got it. Load up the Kobo Library app on the Vox, hit the menu button, and you'll find an "import" option. It'll search the Vox for any ebooks it recognizes.
Droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
calibre not caliber
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
calibre not caliber
picky not helpfull

Back on topic though, I have found that every time I sync to calibre via USB, I need to re-import my books...all of them, each time. So books I have uploaded and imported via Dropbox several days prior, also vanish from my library and require to be re-imported. Not a fun part of the Vox, that's for sure. To get around the issue, I purchased a microSD to USB adapter and just pop my external card out and put it directly into my PC, then import to either Kobo or Aldiko or whatever reading app from there.

Cheers

Last edited by Kboland; 01-16-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
That is one of the shortcomings of the Kobo reading app. If you used Aldiko, that wouldn't happen (books disappearing) and it also reads drm'd books and has more settings.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
wcott
Enthusiast
wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo
To get around the issue, I purchased a microSD to USB adapter and just pop my external card out and put it directly into my PC, then import to either Kobo or Aldiko or whatever reading app from there.
=================================
So, basically - get a micro SD/adapter...pop that into the PC, transfer the books to the SD card - then remove the card and put it into the Vox, and download the card's contents into the Vox?? Seems a little....counter-intuitive.
I've not heard of Aldiko...would that replace CalibRE on the PC?
wcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcott View Post
I've not heard of Aldiko...would that replace CalibRE on the PC?
No, it would replace the kobo reader software on the vox.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcott View Post
Seems a little....counter-intuitive.
Yes and no. It does introduce another step in the book transfer process, but also allows the transfer of larger files (say >1gig movies, or in my case folders with 200+ journal articles in PDF) onto the card, while your Vox is free to use still I was finding that even if I didn't push epubs to my Vox using Calibre, and just transferred files (epubs or not) to the external microSD card, I was having to go through the re-import process once I disconnected the unit from the PC. So the USB adapter has probably saved me some hassle in the end.

Cheers

Last edited by Kboland; 01-16-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote