Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Help with 4.2 install problem

Hello,

I was running an older version of Sigil and decided to upgrade to 4.2. I chose "custom" install by DE-selecting any file types associated with epub, html, or txt. (I use the Calibre viewer). Despite doing this, Sigil has taken over the icons of every single epub, html, and txt file on my system. The only solution is an uninstall of Sigil. I re-installed and the same thing occured. None of the three file types are associated with Sigil (verified in my folder options) and they do, in fact, open with the Calibre viewer.

How do I get rid of the Sigil "S" icons that have taken over the three file types?

Thanks!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Hello,

I was running an older version of Sigil and decided to upgrade to 4.2. I chose "custom" install by DE-selecting any file types associated with epub, html, or txt. (I use the Calibre viewer). Despite doing this, Sigil has taken over the icons of every single epub, html, and txt file on my system. The only solution is an uninstall of Sigil. I re-installed and the same thing occured. None of the three file types are associated with Sigil (verified in my folder options) and they do, in fact, open with the Calibre viewer.

How do I get rid of the Sigil "S" icons that have taken over the three file types?

Thanks!
That is obnoxious behavior . No should mean No to both Open an Icons

Use Windows File Manager: Tools: Folder options: File Types
For each file type (with the S icon): Change (or Restore)
If Change is used, pick the program.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is obnoxious behavior . No should mean No to both Open an Icons

Use Windows File Manager: Tools: Folder options: File Types
For each file type (with the S icon): Change (or Restore)
If Change is used, pick the program.
Thanks, theducks, but.....

I do not have a problem with file extensions. The file associations are correct (as I mentioned) and, when I open any of the three files, the files open in the desired application (not Sigil).

The problem is that the big brown Sigil "S" is now on every single epub, html, text file that resides on my system and shouldn't be. I suspect the only solution is to roll my system back to the old state with the older Sigil.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Uninstall Sigil. Reinstall Sigil. READ what the install tells / ask you to do. Uncheck associate with those file types when you get to that screen in the installer. Finish the install.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Uninstall Sigil. Reinstall Sigil. READ what the install tells / ask you to do. Uncheck associate with those file types when you get to that screen in the installer. Finish the install.
Thank you for the reply. As previously mentioned, I have already uninstalled/reinstalled Sigil and I have READ the install instructions. I am not an idiot. I KNOW not to associate file types which is why I never perform auto or express installs.

Following two clean uninstalls and re-install, with NO file extensions selected, Sigil is still placing the icons on the three file types. Again, as I mentioned above, the files types are associated correctly with another app, but the Sigil icons remain.

I have Googled for a solution but have found none.

Telling me to READ the install instructions is a bit insulting.
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then the application you are associated with EPUB isn't properly associating itself. You will need to contact that application's support.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Then the application you are associated with EPUB isn't properly associating itself. You will need to contact that application's support.
Well, Calibre has been the application associated with these file types for years with no problem whatsoever. This unique problem only appeared when Sigil v4.2 was installed.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
user_none

Quote:
Well, Calibre has been the application associated with these file types for years with no problem whatsoever. This unique problem only appeared when Sigil v4.2 was installed.
Then there is something wrong with your Windows install. The file icon changes to the icon given by the program I choose to associate with the filetype. Right click the file, choose change next to open with, then select the program.

If I associate with Sigil then uninstall Sigil the icon remains because Windows has not updated the icon for the file type. Either doing the right click association and selecting the program that Windows now associates the file with or restarting forces it to update.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
There is an Icon Cache that probably needs to be kick started int updating.
Try Associating to something else Apply.
The set it to what you want and Apply again.
Windows can be stubborn.

BTW you need admin privileges (UAC should ask if W7 or Vista)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is an Icon Cache that probably needs to be kick started int updating.
Try Associating to something else Apply.
The set it to what you want and Apply again.
Windows can be stubborn.

BTW you need admin privileges (UAC should ask if W7 or Vista)
Yes, I tried that initially without success. This is one of the oddest things I've run across in my 30 years of fooling with various computer systems. And this happens to be on a WinXP build.

Something, somewhere is hung up. I may just roll back the system and start again with a clean install.

Many thanks for everyone's suggestions.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
May be silly idea, but ...

Did you uninstall the original Sigil before installing the update (is old version still installed - or did uninstalling remove original and leave newer)

After uninstalling, what happens if you double-click on one of the associated icons (epub) - what does it open with?

If nothing - then re-associate the files to whatever originally opened them.

Then try reinstalling the new sigil (without associating the icons again)
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote