Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #31
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiscott View Post
Thats a good idea. Maybe something in the 30-40,000 area, but it doesnt quite have the same ring to it does it....
Not quite, but I have a feeling by the time December gets here, I'll be ready for a different type of challenge. I'm tracking my pages this year, so I'll probably round it to the nearest hundred for next year's goal.

I've got a couple of Stephen King books and a few epic fantasies that I could swear make my Kindle feel a little heavier.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #32
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Yes, I have been doing that, too. I wish I had sorted by this in the first place, as it's trickier for me now to figure out the length of the books. Maybe I'll take some serious time and work on that soon....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #33
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wouldn't say so but I must admit that some books which are huge blocks have had some appeal to me, kind of like a challenge to me. At best I would say it's influenced my decision.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #34
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I created a "To Be Read" list. Now when I come across a book, I go to my TBR file and consider where, in light of all the other books I want to read, does this new book fall.

Then I just read from my list top to bottom.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #35
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Does anyone else ever choose a book to read based on its length?
As a rule of thumb I don't read a book shorter than 300 printed pages. I prefer 450+. When I read a story I like to get into the story and live with the characters for a long time.

Maybe you could create a poll?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #36
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
As a rule of thumb I don't read a book shorter than 300 printed pages. I prefer 450+. When I read a story I like to get into the story and live with the characters for a long time.

Maybe you could create a poll?
best 800 to 1,200 printpages
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
best 800 to 1,200 printpages
indeed!
If the book is shorter, like The Hunger Games, it absolutely must be compensated by having sequels, trilogy
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #38
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I don't choose what to read based on length, though length may influence when I read it. I have favorites that are huge doorstops and others that are slim volumes of less than 200 pages. I like Shogun and Breakfast at Tiffany's.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #39
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Books definitely suck me in and this can cause me to read for hours when I should be doing something else, like, oh, sleeping. But I don't choose shorter books when I have less time. Instead, if I'm trying to avoid getting sucked into a long book, I will reread something I've read before and liked. That way I don't have to stay up half the night to see how it ends. Plus, it's like revisiting beloved old friends.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #40
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
Books definitely suck me in and this can cause me to read for hours when I should be doing something else, like, oh, sleeping. But I don't choose shorter books when I have less time. Instead, if I'm trying to avoid getting sucked into a long book, I will reread something I've read before and liked. That way I don't have to stay up half the night to see how it ends. Plus, it's like revisiting beloved old friends.
And even these will cause me to read when I should be doing other things, because I want (and do not want!) them to end. Even though I know the ending... And in the end, I always berate myself for finishing that book that fast as now I'll have to wait some time again before I can read it (again).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #41
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
I usually prefer books as long as possible, part of a series or by an author with a big number of books set in the same world.

The logic is that if I start investing in an authors world and start liking it, I don't want it to be over too soon
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #42
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I started having that problem when I was a kid. Often my mom would have to say, "put down the book, turn off the light and go to sleep." lol.
Course the books were a bit shorter way back then in a lot of cases. Though not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #43
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Does anyone else ever choose a book to read based on its length?
Absolutely. Rarely, I'll pick something especially long when I want to be immersed for a long while.

Usually I'm attracted to shorter things, mostly because I can get through them (I'm a fairly slow reader) but also because shorter works -- short stories, short novels -- often demand a tighter story and a faster pacing that I tend to enjoy. Short attention span I guess.
I'm currently catching up on some selections from this list:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/20-c...n-one-sitting/

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 05-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #44
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Yes - quite often.
I normally read a book from start to finish in one sitting and so I choose what I'm going to read based on how much time I have.
What HarleyB said....I can't stand to be interrupted when reading for anything or anyone...so for my sanity as well as others (plus the sake of housework...well minimal anyway....and feeding...and other stuff) I have been reading works I can cover between 1 to 3 hours. Fortunately I read rapidly depending on interruptions, but for full length books I have to set aside time when I am home alone which is maybe once or twice a month (and then prepare for hunger headache because I will not stop to eat...I am a sick puppy).
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #45
lotrfan
Connoisseur
lotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Funny how my mind works. I try to avoid long series like Dragonlance so to not get hooked on just one “world” yet I have read about half the Star Wars novels and plan to read them all (assuming they finish). So basically with the exception of Star Wars I try to avoid long series or just read a select storyline within a series like “The Dark Elf Trilogy” of Forgotten Realms. I don't mind a long book though.
lotrfan is offline   Reply With Quote