Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #10021
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The longest one I know (having read it in a Bill Bryson book and being struck by its weirdness) is;

Satan oscillate my metallic sonatas
I question whether sonatas can be metallic. And if they can, whether they can be oscillated. But I think I'll allow it.

Only 5 words, but 31 letters!

Do we have an advance on 31?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #10022
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Thanks for the maple syrup making lesson, Stitchawl. That's part of the fun of this Quiz thread, learning new stuff as we go.

PS - Do I get the prize for being the closest at 30 gallons? I'm hoping it's a gallon of "B Grade" .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #10023
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks for the maple syrup making lesson, Stitchawl. That's part of the fun of this Quiz thread, learning new stuff as we go.

PS - Do I get the prize for being the closest at 30 gallons? I'm hoping it's a gallon of "B Grade" .
Yes, you do! But I think you might find the B grade a bit too strong. Have you ever eaten Maple Sugar candy? It's just pressed maple sugar. THAT is the taste of B grade. 'A' grade is what you'd normally find to put on pancakes, waffles, ice cream, etc.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #10024
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Yes, you do! But I think you might find the B grade a bit too strong. Have you ever eaten Maple Sugar candy? It's just pressed maple sugar. THAT is the taste of B grade. 'A' grade is what you'd normally find to put on pancakes, waffles, ice cream, etc.

Stitchawl
Great, I'll send you my address . I wanted to try the B Grade, as I'm well used to the stuff you put on pancakes. ...Well, actually, not at the moment, what with the diet. Though I did have two small pancakes this morning, with sliced banana rather than syrup .
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #10025
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I question whether sonatas can be metallic. And if they can, whether they can be oscillated. But I think I'll allow it.

Only 5 words, but 31 letters!

Do we have an advance on 31?
It doesn't look like we'll get more. I declare Bilbo 1967 the winner.

Looking for longer ones, I find that there are enormous gibberish palindromes, but finding ones that make sense is hard. I'm almost tempted to get issue #4 of The Plalindromist, since I found this mention of one:

Link:
Quote:
Hate to brag but I haven’t seen a COHERENT palindromes longer than my “Ode to Evita,” which was the centerfold of Issue #4 of The Palindromist. I’m not ready to put it online (and make it public domain), but it’s about 180 words (in several paragraphs), starting with “God, deliver an ode to deviative Evita, cover star.” and ending with “Rats, revocative Evita! I’ve doted on a reviled dog!”
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #10026
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Looking for longer ones, I find that there are enormous gibberish palindromes, but finding ones that make sense is hard. I'm almost tempted to get issue #4 of The Plalindromist, since I found this mention of one:

Link:
180 words is astonishing. How the hell would you construct something like that? Start in the middle and work your way outwards?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #10027
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
180 words is astonishing. How the hell would you construct something like that? Start in the middle and work your way outwards?
I would think the more appropriate question would be 'why' rather than 'how.'

Stitchawl
Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #10028
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I would think the more appropriate question would be 'why' rather than 'how.'

Stitchawl
Did cross my mind that the creator might exist somewhere on the autistic spectrum.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #10029
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

Quote:

Stitchawl

Maple syrup production is an annual activity here in Northern Wisconsin as well, though it is not famous for it like Vermont. I love maple sugar candy. Maybe because of a odd story from my childhood. At one point my mother decided that the family should go on a diet that limited bread products to those made from soy, substitution of carob for chocolate, and maple sugar as the only sweetener/candy. The first two are unappetizing but I still recall the delicious taste of little maple sugar candies just melting in my mouth. Maple sugar candy is hard to find now and damn expensive when it can be found.

Oh, there is even a Pete Seeger song about maple syrup season, but I bet Stitchawl already knew that.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #10030
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I was in Vermont a year ago last August for my son's wedding, and brought back a dozen boxes of Maple Sugar candy... all gone now... goooood stuff! It's funny, I don't use Maple Syrup on pancakes or waffles or anything really. (They didn't want to let me live in Vermont when they learned this...) I just like a spoonful of it now and then right out of the can! Maybe 2-3 times a year. But I can eat Maple Sugar candy anytime! Or 'Sugar on Snow!'

Stitchawl
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #10031
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I've never tried it, but I would like to try Alaskan Birch syrup. It is made like Maple syrup but from Birch trees. It takes twice as much sap to make a gallon of Birch syrup, and the window for gathering the syrup is smaller. It is also about 5 times more expensive, and the Alaskans only make around a 1,000 gallons of the stuff a year (compared to millions of gallons of Maple syrup).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #10032
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I was in Canada in the summer visiting my brother and his wife. They told me that the Canadian $100 note smells of maple syrup. Damn me if they weren't right! Seriously.

Did I imagine that - can Canadian members confirm?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #10033
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll try a few questions about characters in books. Which character;

1. Started life in a book by another author altogether and has been involved in the Battle of Little Bighorn, the siege of Lucknow and the Charge of the Light Brigade?

2. Is a bit of a one-man A Team. He becomes the earth's last hope in a battle between unfathomable powers?

3. Is an ex military policeman who drinks far too much coffee and has no fixed abode?

4. Is first encountered as a tourist's guide and goes on to become an Egregious Professor Of Cruel And Unusual Geography?

5. Is a debatedly homosexual, drug addict master of disguise.

I fear that this may be too easy for you lot, but I'll put it out there anyway.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #10034
orlok
Close to the Edit!

1. Flashman?

3. Jack Reacher

4. Ford Prefect?

5. Sherlock Holmes?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #10035
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
1. Flashman?

3. Jack Reacher

4. Ford Prefect?

5. Sherlock Holmes?
1. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. Yes