Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I got sipdroid working and made VOIP Phone Call!

If you have a sip number or Google voice number I got sipdroid http://sipdroid.org/ working and made a VOIP call. voice quality had a little static, but it worked. You will alsio need a PBXES account https://www1.pbxes.com/index_e.php

Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
10tklz
Edge User

Oh wow! As soon as I get my eDGe back I'm trying this!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
devseev
Edge User

I had tried sipdroid and got nothing but static before - but that was prior to the last Entourage update. Will have to give it another shot - thanks for the note.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Another factor might be that there is an update to sipdriod. It sends video now as well, phone to phone or phone to web. Needs a paid PBXES account though.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
10tklz
Edge User

Do you need a paid account for just audio calls as well?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

A basic account at PBXES is free, to make sipdroid work you need a number for it. I make and receive free calls over WiFi by using a combination of Google Voice and either Gizmo5 or my IPKALL # (both were also free, although Gizmo is temporarily closed to new subscribers. I initiate the call through the Google Voice web page, putting in the number I want call and instructing it to ring my Gizmo5 or IPKALL #. This makes Sipdroid ring (on my phone or edge). PBXES gives you 2000 minutes a month, a Premium account (which will allow the video to be streamed to a web page) costs 9.95 Euros a month. Video streaming to another sip enabled cell phone registered on PBXES seems to be free.http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/wiki/FAQ Here is a comprehensive set-up guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=548405. It can be a bit painful to set up but using it lets me pay for a much cheaper cell phone plan, plus offers the advantage of being able to make a call from outside the US as if I were at home (read no international charges) and now to make a call from a non phone device (other than a laptop). Way cool.

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 06-04-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
meredith
Edge User

I have a google voice number. I have never heard of sipdroid. I am going to have to try that. I have thought about using this website: http://www.freedomvoice.com. What are your thoughts? Is sipdroid free? Is the PBXES account free? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by meredith; 05-16-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
paula-t
Edge User

Hi, Cheyennedonna! Don't mean to overwhelm you with questions, added up to Meredith's now, but do you know if the services you mention can be used by non US residents?
Any advice on this will be welcome, as I plan to post ths to the LatinAmerican thread, for the sake of potential and actual (just two people and adopted Sarah) Edge users in our region.
Thanks a lot. You always provide very good information and tips, and I tentatively put thumbs up to any suggestion you make!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Sipdroid is free, the basic PBxes account is free and seems available worldwide. The only way to use it with Google Voice, at least for now is to have a premium PBexs account. There is another thread here with more info http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...light=sipdroid
I'm not sure what countries Google Voice is available in.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
freemanjr
Edge User

might try fring

http://www.fring.com/what-is-fring

I've used on occasion on the EE testing it about 6 months ago. It was ok. I see they have a newer version so maybe call quality is better.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
sarah11918
Edge User

AFAIK, Google voice is still only available in the US. At least, I can confirm it's not available in Canada.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
paula-t
Edge User

Thanks, Sarah and Cheyennedonna.
I will fiddle a bit later and see.
Communications are unreasonably expensive in Argentina, and it's always important to cut expenses.
In any case, I will report my findings.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
AFAIK, Google voice is still only available in the US. At least, I can confirm it's not available in Canada.
It works pretty well for me here in The Netherlands. Surprised it's not working in Canada.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
meredith
Edge User

Thanks Cheyennedonna! I will look into the premium PBexs account!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
It works pretty well for me here in The Netherlands. Surprised it's not working in Canada.
Let me clarify: You need a US based cell phone number (last I looked) in order to establish a new GV account. I happen to have a working GV number (US-based) because I had a number back before Google bought Grand Central. GV "works" where ever you happen to be, but the issue you'll have outside of the US is in having a US-based cell phone number to which to create/link your GV account.

Back when the service was GC, you could sign up with a number from any country. When GC became GV, all accounts were migrated over with whatever cell phone data was in your account at the time. Since then, I've moved provinces and no longer have that cell phone number. I cannot change my cell phone number in my settings because GV will only accept a US-based cell phone if you try to change the info that was migrated over. Similarly, to sign up for a new GV number, you (last I checked) need to give them a US-based cell phone number. (And again last I checked, you can only get a US-based GV number.)

You can't use a Skype-In number to sign up for GV (which is also US-only, but at least we can get one without getting a US phone). You can also associate a SIP number with your GV, but you can't sign up for the service with only a SIP number. (I do have a SIP number back from my GC days, and it's associated with my account, but I still cannot change my cell phone number to my current number.)

When Cheyennedonna first recommended pbxes a couple of months ago (?), I tried to sign up from Canada but couldn't. It wanted me to be in the US.

So, I actually do have GV "working" in Canada, but I can't connect it to any phone. And if I didn't already have it from before it became GV, I wouldn't be able to get it now. So, I consider that to be "not working" in Canada if you can't sign up for it. (Even though of course, if you have GV, you can use it from anywhere in the world.)