Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
While I am very happy to have heard from them now, I still think that it's kind of a problem to block GMail.
Have you checked the spams at you GMail account? It is possible that they have responded but the response have been caught by GMails spam handling.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 AM   #17
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Yes, I check the spam folder regularly because on my other account some newsletters get marked as potential spam. Interestingly I hardly ever receive spam on my GMail account (like a couple per month as opposed to a couple per day on the other account) which might mean that Google is probably deleting more spam than my other account.

Generally I say, though, that it is unlikely that Google deletes mail from companies like bookeen outright instead of putting it in the spam folder, I'd rather think that bookeen uses some service provider for their spam filters from which they get their black lists. Usually those black lists are rather strict and if a lot of spam comes from a certain domain they put the entire domain on the black list automatically and it might take a while till it is dropped again. As there are so many GMail users there's a good chance that at any given time there is *someone* spamming.

So basically the best approach would be to send every mail parallel from two accounts. The problem is that that is not only impolite (they get swamped by multiple mails) it might also actually increase your chance to get marked as spam as two exact same mails from different addresses are usually a good indicator that there's something wrong with that mail. So, either way you do it's wrong :-)
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Snuffi, I suggest you send another message telling Bookeen of this possible problem so they can sort it out to allow gmail based emila to go through. I do think a lot of people may use it to contact Bookeen and if it really does get filtered out, then it will be a big problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #19
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
[...] having their mails vanish into the big black void of spam protection.
This is a major problem affecting the reliability of email. The only way around it would be to use receipts. It would be nice if all email clients supported receipts and if clients would identify a message as "pending receipt" and then as "received by addressee" when the email is opened and read.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #20
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
This is a major problem affecting the reliability of email. The only way around it would be to use receipts. It would be nice if all email clients supported receipts and if clients would identify a message as "pending receipt" and then as "received by addressee" when the email is opened and read.
Even if they could, and most can, plenty of people have turned it off because they, like me, do not want spam senders to be notified my account is active and receiving their mail. Or that my friends knows I have read the mail where he asks my help to move all his heavy furniture.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #21
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
FYI - Bookeen has replied to my gmails
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #22
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
FYI - Bookeen has replied to my gmails
Mine too, after the fourth time though.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #23
vasbinde
vasbinde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite / iPad 2 / Various Phones
Spam Fighting options

Another SPAM protection option that I use with great effect is the Challenge-response approach. It basically puts every single email I receive into a "likely spam" queue, then sends an email response asking for the person who sent the original email to verify that they are a real human being.

The verification just involves automatically filling in a field and then responding. Once that is done, that email sender is verified as belonging to a real human and does not have to do the verification again. Since spammers don't put their real addresses as the senders of their junk, it serves as an easy way to filter out 99.9% of all spam, while letting every human-sent real email message through.

The only downfall is with automated systems (e.g. Amazon, ebay, etc.) that cannot respond to my challenge message. For that purpose, I periodically skim my queue, about every third day to see if anything catches my eye, or I also look immediately after signing up with a new forum (e.g. here :-)), or placing an online order, etc.

Email hosts that use CPANEL have one built-in for free called Box Trapper. Another one that is available for any email account is called SpamArrest.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Eric
vasbinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasbinde View Post
Another SPAM protection option that I use with great effect is the Challenge-response approach. It basically puts every single email I receive into a "likely spam" queue, then sends an email response asking for the person who sent the original email to verify that they are a real human being.
My reaction would be to consider that request as a spam and just throw it away. And if I get it on mailinglists I administer I would just ignore it. I am surprised that these kind of methods can work.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
vasbinde
vasbinde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite / iPad 2 / Various Phones
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
My reaction would be to consider that request as a spam and just throw it away. And if I get it on mailinglists I administer I would just ignore it. I am surprised that these kind of methods can work.
Some people do consider the challenge requests to be annoying. Fortunately, they only happen once per every sender, so all the sender has to do is hit the reply button once to the challenge and you're done. Finally, the owner can manually approve any senders who refuse to respond to the challenge requests.
vasbinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Some people do consider the challenge requests to be annoying. Fortunately, they only happen once per every sender, so all the sender has to do is hit the reply button once to the challenge and you're done. Finally, the owner can manually approve any senders who refuse to respond to the challenge requests.
Speaking as a business which sends a lot of e-mails, I'm afraid that I loath such systems and never respond to them. Life is too short to have to fill in forms for the "privilege" of sending somebody e-mail. My view is that, if you send me e-mail, you should have the courtesy to ensure that my reply will reach you, otherwise you're just wasting both my time and yours.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #27
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
There is much better system for filtering spam.
It is called greylisting.
It is similar to the system you describe, but it does not bother the sender.

scenario:
mail is sent from YourRandomServer.com to MyServer.com
MyServer.com replies to YourRandomServer.com "I can not accept that mail in this moment, please try again later" (this happens quite often during the normal course of operation, not only if you implement greylisting).
MyServer.com makes a note that YourRandomServer.com has tried to send this particular message.
YourServer is a well behaved, standard compliant server (unlike the VAST majority of spam sending virus infected Windows PCs) so it tries to deliver the mail again.
This time MyServer.com receives the message, and adds YourRandomServer.com on the whitelist so the next time YourRandomServer.com sends a message, the message is received immediately.
I have implemented this on our company server and the spam that "gets through" has decreased to 5% of the original volume. Quick, simple, effective.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

There is a new blog entry at

http://bookeen.blogspot.com/

saying among other things:

Quote:
We have also noted all the remarks of our first customers : folder support, delete key, better sound interface and our dev team is already working on them. Please note that, even if we are not very responsive, we always read all your emails and take in account your feedback.

Since our creation in 2003, Bookeen has always tried to keep in touch with its customers and to offer a reactive and efficient customer support. Concerning this part of our job, we clearly have not met our quality imperatives for the Cybook Gen3 release. We are now making all the necessary decisions to have a customer support department running properly.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
There is a new blog entry at

http://bookeen.blogspot.com/

saying among other things:
Maybe they should hire me for customer support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #30
pemilahu
CyBookeen Bubus
pemilahu began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Well, I sent Bookeen my first eMail (re my SD card issue) on December 17, 2007.
Then I resent my complaint on January 11, 2008.
I used all known Bookeen eMail addresses.
Guess, how many answers I have received so far?

Z E R O !

Unacceptable.
pemilahu is offline   Reply With Quote