Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-12-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Device: Meebook P78 Pro, Likebook P6
Moon+ Reader Pro low quality book covers

Does anyone use Moon+ Reader Pro on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with S Pen (8-inch)? (This model has 1920x1200 resolution.)

I use Calibre to send my books to my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ phone and the book covers on My Shelf, Recent list, My Favorites are quite clear and very nice.

I send the exact same books to the Tab A, the book covers are very low quality and pixelated and just look terrible.

I have tried "Rebuild book covers" but this did not improve the book covers image quality at all. They still are very pixelated. I have deleted the hidden .MoonReader folder, cleared the app cache, Rebuild book covers... and still the covers are low quality.

Many years ago, there used to be a setting in Moon+ Reader Pro under "Options" that you could select to use high-quality (or high-resolution) book covers. I am not able to find such a setting now.

Both the Note 10+ and the Tab A are on Android 10 and using Moon+ Reader Pro v6.1.

Has anyone had this problem and know of a fix?

Thank you.
homeceo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:32 AM   #2
Mandabar
Fanfiction Devourer
Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android: Moon+ Reader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeceo43 View Post
I use Calibre to send my books to my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ phone and the book covers on My Shelf, Recent list, My Favorites are quite clear and very nice.

I send the exact same books to the Tab A, the book covers are very low quality and pixelated and just look terrible.

Many years ago, there used to be a setting in Moon+ Reader Pro under "Options" that you could select to use high-quality (or high-resolution) book covers. I am not able to find such a setting now.
Hi! I can't say that I've had this issue, but I do know a few things you could check. First the Book Cover size option still exists, but that is an option (as far as I know) that only affects how large they are shown on the various book library/list pages. It's found under options (in one of the library pages, not the options menu when inside a book) and then clicking on the Book Cover(Size) button. I'll attach some images here to maybe help find it.

The more likely solution is probably on the Calibre side of things. It usually converts the images/cover in a book to a smaller size to fit (and save space) a smaller screen. Those same images on a much larger screen/tablet would get stretched out and pixelated I image. I would suggest you check just what the dimensions your book's covers are on the pc, you'll find these listed on the individual books metadata details on the cover (Pixel size). Then take a look at the conversion settings. Personally I try to not convert them smaller and live with the larger space usage to preserve the original quality. Also so they avoid issues between different devices. The workflow for the above conversion option is in preferences -> conversion -> common options -> page setup -> output profile

I'm no expert, but I hope that helps? Let me know how it goes!

I actually came on here to see if I could find why my book with italics/bold were not showing the italics or bold. Figured out the bold, but not the italics. It shows when I show 'publisher formatting' but not otherwise. ugh. And it isn't the disabled css style option. A bit frustrating heh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200926-025605_Moon+ Reader Pro.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	182212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200926-025811_Moon+ Reader Pro.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	182213   Click image for larger version

Name:	hi82M5k.png
Views:	381
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	182214  
Mandabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Hi Mandabar!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I do think this is a Moon+ Reader Pro issue.

In Calibre I use 1300x900 for my book cover size. In Convert Books, I use the "Tablet" profile. I did a test and set my book cover size to 2200x1375, converted to epub and then sent the book to both the phone and the Tab A.
Then I imported the book in Moon Reader on each device. I looked in the .MoonReader hidden folder where book cover thumbnails are stored and compared them.

On the Tab A:

Width: 165 pixels
Height: 264 pixels
Bit depth: 24
.png file size: 54KB

On the Galaxy Note 10+ phone:

Width: 293 pixels
Height: 468 pixels
Bit depth: 24
.png file size: 143KB

So the book cover thumbnails on the Tab A are about half the size of what is on Note 10+ phone.

I use eReader Prestigio on occasion. The book covers thumbnails in that app look fine and high quality on the Tab A.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
homeceo43
Connoisseur

** SOLVED!! **

Go to "My Shelf" then tap the 3 dots on top right side of screen and select "Rebuild book covers".

This pops up:

Rebuild book covers
Render Quality (Size) 110

I thought the word "Size" and "110" referred to image size since the "110" number was the same as the My Shelf Book Cover(Size) under Options. Changing that number under Options does change the image size (not quality), say change to 150, your book covers are bigger.

Under the My Shelf Rebuild book covers, I changed the number to 130, or 150, etc and the image size was not getting bigger. Then I used 300 here just to see what would happen, and the Book cover image quality improved drastically (images size or dimensions stayed the same [110]). Now I have high quality book covers!

Last edited by homeceo43; 10-27-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #5
Mandabar
Fanfiction Devourer
Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android: Moon+ Reader Pro
Glad to hear you found a fix. Should've known to suggest the rebuild cover option!
Mandabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert