Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 12:39 AM   #1
Friedrich
Friedrich began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Paucity of OverDrive books?

My first MobileRead post! I've an ancient Nook (Simple Touch), which mostly still works (except for the page turning buttons), but am looking to get back into an eReader workflow with more modern equipment. I'm gravitating toward the Kobo ecosystem, and may pull the trigger on a Libra or Forma soon.

A draw with the Kobos is the integrated OverDrive support (although I understand I can use OverDrive with Kindles here in the US). However, my enthusiasm has been dampened by looking through the eBook offerings of my local library system and finding ... not much. About 4,000 books total and, after filtering out the categories I'm not interested in (Romance, Mysteries, Juvenile Fiction, ...), there isn't a whole lot left.

Is this typical? Or is my county library system behind the times? Are there other library systems that one can tap into with OverDrive? Or should I ignore OverDrive and stick to the Kobo store, Project Gutenberg, etc.?

I apologize in advance for what might be a naive question. I've never dealt with online lending before. Or "modern" eReaders.
Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
that's typical for a UK overdrive library. overweight selections of romance, urban paranormal.....

its still possible to get a paid-for out-of-state membership of a BIG online library, like FLP, though some have discontinued and are only honoring existing membership renewals
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2020, 01:18 AM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It’ll depend on the library and the funding available to them. I’m lucky I live in NYC so I get free access to two well funded library systems.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:02 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
occasionally, armed with some best of / most popular.... list.. I will go on a library search binge..... and usually come away with nothing.

so I resort to occasional looks at the library front page , via Libby, in the hope of spotting something interesting
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:10 AM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich View Post
Are there other library systems that one can tap into with OverDrive?
Since you are in California, yes. I just checked Los Angeles:

https://www.lapl.org/about-lapl/borrower-services#apply

However, you have to visit in person. Maybe there are some counties now making an exception to that. You would have to check one by one.

I have a bunch of Pennsylvania out of county cards. Not every county in my state offers eBook borrowing to out of county residents, but most do if you live in-state.

I also pay the Brooklyn out of state fee:

https://www.bklynlibrary.org/use-the...%20cardholders.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2020, 06:16 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
that's typical for a UK overdrive library. overweight selections of romance, urban paranormal.....

its still possible to get a paid-for out-of-state membership of a BIG online library, like FLP, though some have discontinued and are only honoring existing membership renewals
FLP has stopped out of state library cards. So forget FLP.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Have you asked anyone at your library what the policy is? My library always seems eager to take requests for ebooks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My Ohio library has just under 130,000 total Kindle format books. Most of those are in the OverDrive system as well, 120,000 are ePub, then smaller numbers for PDF and "open ePub".

I can "recommend" books to the library, up to 3 books every thirty days can can be on my "recommended" list at any time. If they buy a book I've recommended, I'm automatically placed on the hold list for that book.

Borrowing limits are 10 books, hold limit is 15, length of borrow limit is 21 days.

My library is linked with other county libraries also, so some holds are ordered by which library the account holder is with. "Some copies of this title belong to specific member libraries, and their users are given priority for holds on those copies. For this reason, users may jump forward or move backward on the wait list, so we can't accurately estimate wait time."

Last edited by Deskisamess; 07-06-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Like Deskisamess, my library is part of a consortium. I think this is a good thing for smaller cities/counties where any one of them on its own can't maintain a large collection.

For the OP - maybe you can find out if any counties (or larger cities) near you allow non-residents to get a library card?

In my case, the counties adjacent to mine are already part of the same consortium so there's no point in my traveling for one of their cards. But this may not be the case in your area.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich View Post
A draw with the Kobos is the integrated OverDrive support (although I understand I can use OverDrive with Kindles here in the US). However, my enthusiasm has been dampened by looking through the eBook offerings of my local library system and finding ... not much. About 4,000 books total and, after filtering out the categories I'm not interested in (Romance, Mysteries, Juvenile Fiction, ...), there isn't a whole lot left.

Is this typical? Or is my county library system behind the times? Are there other library systems that one can tap into with OverDrive? Or should I ignore OverDrive and stick to the Kobo store, Project Gutenberg, etc.?

I apologize in advance for what might be a naive question. I've never dealt with online lending before. Or "modern" eReaders.
If you're in California, both the SF and LA public libraries have enormous Overdrive collections with great variety and most anything vaguely recent of any literary or non-fiction note. I read lots of books through those libraries. I don't know if you can apply for a card online right now or not, though.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
Look at the larger city library websites. You may find that one of the large library systems will allow California residents to obtain a card by emailing the required information. The card may, however, be temporary.

Just glancing through the Sacramento and San Diego library sites, I see that one can get a temporary card, but it isn't clear if one must be a city/county resident, or just a California resident. (Residents of other states could investigate libraries in their states.)

I encourage you to look into this.
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, library, overdrive