Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Timmeh
Timmeh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Post Local library file, pointing to cloud-based ebooks?

Hi all,

I have calibre running nicely on a dedicated Ubuntu server (via docker). The server has a 2TB hard drive. Up until now I have been able to keep my ebooks stored locally at /opt/appdata/calibre/library. However, I have started acquiring comics and my hard drive space is decreasing rapidly, along with other media.

So, I have mounted a cloud system to hold the books/comics but I'd like to keep my metadata.db file stored locally for stability reasons. The cloud directory is located at /mnt/ebooks.

The main issue is that when I create a new library in the /mnt/ebooks directory and begin to add my ebooks, it becomes unstable and corrupts each database I create.

I have found a thread which says that it is possible to keep the metadata.db file separate from the ebooks folder which is encouraging (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254287) however after hours of trying, I cannot find a way to do achieve this. Essentially I'd like /opt/appdata/calibre/library to store the metadata.db and point to ebooks stored at /mnt/ebooks.

Please could someone advise how I can achieve this as I have been trying for a few hours and cannot seem to get it to work and cannot find any literature. It's probably something obvious but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Timmeh; 01-07-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typos
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Don't use the Cloud, except to exchange files or host a website.

Even my Android tablet has a 256G micro SDXC card (€28 inc shipping).

I have my Calibre library on my laptop and backup copies on USB HDD, my local server and my off site backup.

I only use local files and import ebooks & PDFs to the local storage of the Calibre Library, as recommended.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
2tb should be all you ever need, even for a gigantic comic collection. Move other,non calibre stuff to your cloud and keep calibre local. You can also backup calibre into cloud but don't run it in there.

As for your original trickery request, windows has symbolic links which can fool a program into seeing networked storage as local, but I don t know the equivalent for Ubuntu. And it's safer not to do that for any calibre stuff
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
Timmeh

Smile

Thank you for the advice.

From an academic point of view, how do environment variables work with Calibre on Linux? I found the windows-based 'CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH' env variable. Will this work on Linux and if so where would it be used?

TIA
Old 01-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh View Post
Will this work on Linux and if so where would it be used?
Yes, as the FAQ indicates the EVs work on all supported platforms.

For how to, google "how to set environment variables in linux".

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Timmeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yes, as the FAQ indicates the EVs work on all supported platforms.

For how to, google "how to set environment variables in linux".

BR
Friendly forum this!

Tags
cloud, drive, library, linux debian ubuntu, local