Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
MountainMan1
MountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: None
Including a Tab in a book

I am new to Calibre and it's Editor. I would like to know if there is some way, besides using the <pre> tag, to insert tabs at the beginning of a paragraph. I guess because of my age, I am just 'old school' and believe that a paragraph should start with a Tab. Maybe it's because for so many years I read print books, I know "hardcopy ewwww", and most of them the paragraphs started with a tab.
MountainMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is an INDENT you created with your Tab or spaces on that old Typewriter

Code:
text-indent: 1.5em;
is the CSS you need to add to the style assigned to the paragraphs

@JON will use some other value and scream that 1.5 is too ...
so pick your own number
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
MountainMan1
MountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a TexanMountainMan1 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is an INDENT you created with your Tab or spaces on that old Typewriter

Code:
text-indent: 1.5em;
is the CSS you need to add to the style assigned to the paragraphs

@JON will use some other value and scream that 1.5 is too ...
so pick your own number
I stand corrected and thanks for the info. The typewriter thing was pretty good lol. Now if I can get help on my other question of how to put a block of style code somewhere so that I only have to put it in once I will be cooking with gas.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan1 View Post
I stand corrected and thanks for the info. The typewriter thing was pretty good lol. Now if I can get help on my other question of how to put a block of style code somewhere so that I only have to put it in once I will be cooking with gas.
THAT is the whole purpose of a CSS

Style once, link from one to however many.

Open a EPUB and look at the code.
class="aname"
is the clue that a style 'block' applies
If you see a <link... .css in the header code, that is the link to a stylesheet
Old 03-17-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
MountainMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
THAT is the whole purpose of a CSS

Style once, link from one to however many.

Open a EPUB and look at the code.
class="aname"
is the clue that a style 'block' applies
If you see a <link... .css in the header code, that is the link to a stylesheet
theducks, thanks for the reply. I did know that CSS is supposed to style a whole document, but I appreciate the explanation. Just don't know much about them other than that

I have seen some ebooks I have downloaded and been editing (mostly to go after spelling and punctuation errors) with CSS sheets included in the list on the menu to the left.

Besides not really knowing enough beyond the basic concept of what a CSS file is in order to make my own (which I can go to W3 or whatever the website is, or another website I can google and learn more about them) I hadn't noticed what you said about a link to the CSS being in the header code, so that was some useful information I didn't know.

I am guessing that the Calibre editor has some way to easily insert the CSS link in the headers of the HTML text files in the list on the left, although I haven't explored the program enough to know how to find it yet, I will take another look at it.

I should start a new topic about something else I don't understand about editing an ePub, if I can't find a thread on the Editor Forum where it's already been asked and answered of course.

When I save a copy of a book to local disk out of the Calibre Library, I am seeing some strange behavior, or at least strange to me. When the book is saved, it seems like (I could be mistaken) the book always saves to the local directory with 3 files - .epub file, .jpg file or something (the book cover?) and another file (.opf I believe). I don't really understand how to 'package' everything back up (the .epub, .jpg, .opf, and any .css files) into one stand-alone ePub file like it originally came as, when I'm done going after those pesky spelling errors and such. Or packaging everything up if I was editing my own book from scratch. Thanks for the information on CSS, greatly appreciated
Old 03-17-2017, 03:38 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MountainMan1 - what gets saved is up to you - see Preferences->Saving books to disc

The cover.jpg and metadata.opf are optional - you must have them checked.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

EPUB is the 'package'.
If you use the editor supplied with Calibre, the work is done.

Save to Disk is an EXPORT of the CALIBRE Library 'view' about the book (the format, OPF is the Metadata you see in Calibre, The cover you see in Calibre)

IT may be different than what is in the book INSIDE the Library unless you take extra steps (AKA Polish, embed Metadata or Modify EPUB)

Send to device does the update to the Transferred copy on the fly
Old 03-24-2017, 04:14 AM   #8
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan1 View Post
I am guessing that the Calibre editor has some way to easily insert the CSS link in the headers of the HTML text files in the list on the left, although I haven't explored the program enough to know how to find it yet, I will take another look at it.
Select one or more files in the file list, right-click and select "Link stylesheets".
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You are welcome to borrow or adapt my style sheet at http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com/2013/...yle-sheet.html
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:50 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You really don't want TAB. You'd be better off with Diet Coke.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You really don't want TAB. You'd be better off with Diet Coke.
Diet is DIE with a T <garfield>

Tags
editor, tabs