Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
leiropi
leiropi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Kindle as information display

Hello,

I'm thinking about adding a kindle as a display to my self built smart home assistant. I think it would be a good fit because of the low power consumption and the epaper display. I just want to display some information like the weather or a calendar which does not need to update often. I am planning to do this by displaying a simple webpage on the kindle.

Is there a way to display a website in fullscreen mode without the device going to standby? If not, is it possible to do this after jailbreaking the kindle?
Which kindle would be best for that?

Thanks for your help!
leiropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Kindle as weather station
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
leiropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Thanks, but this script does not display a webpage, it just displays an image.

I was asking for a way to display a webpage.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #4
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
WebLaunch

~ds command prevents screensaver
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin..._Bar_Shortcuts
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
leiropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Thanks, that is was I was looking for!
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
cgriff32
cgriff32 began at the beginning.

Device: k4
Is there any way to set up a script to disable to screen saver? Either with a launcher or through an event? I'm trying to have the screensaver disabled automatically on boot.
cgriff32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgriff32 View Post
Is there any way to set up a script to disable to screen saver? Either with a launcher or through an event? I'm trying to have the screensaver disabled automatically on boot.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293264

The above thread is for a KUAL extension to disable/enable sleep mode (screensaver).

The included scripts can be called however you like.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
deed02392
deed02392 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (Non-touch)
I know this is an old thread but I want to do something similar. I want to put my Kindle somewhere it won't normally be plugged in (bathroom) and use it to display some fun/interesting things. I only need the information to change every day. So disabling sleep seems like a waste of energy.

What about automating the generation of an image with all this data on an always-on server, and having the Kindle wake up once a day to fetch it and display it? Any advice on how to implement that?
deed02392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
matopeto
matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'matopeto knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Paperwhite
Other simplier kindle information / weather display (no jailbreak needed) is https://github.com/matopeto/kindle-weather-dashboard
matopeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:59 AM   #10
Vancete
Vancete began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
I'm totally lost on the device names. Is the actual cheapest kindle able to run the image dashboard? (the one that requires jailbreak)
Vancete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #11
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by deed02392 View Post
... and having the Kindle wake up once a day to fetch it and display it? Any advice on how to implement that?
@_nico did it this way: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=235821&page=3
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote