Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What book that came first shall we read for March?
The Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang 10 43.48%
Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis 7 30.43%
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman 5 21.74%
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway 11 47.83%
Despite the Falling Snow by Shamim Sarif 2 8.70%
Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith 7 30.43%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 3 13.04%
Before the Fact by Francis Iles 2 8.70%
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick 8 34.78%
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 7 30.43%
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick 3 13.04%
Still Life (Chief Inspector Gamache #1) by Louise Penny 4 17.39%
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers 9 39.13%
The Body by Stephen King 6 26.09%
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck 9 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #61
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Bah! I can't believe my library doesn't have The Old Man and the Sea in any digital format.

Double bah for being pd in Canada, but not the US.
It's at the Internet Archive.

Last edited by issybird; 03-07-2018 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Link changed to generic archive.org.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #62
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It's at the Internet Archive.
Do you know if it's a legal download for the US?

Last edited by issybird; 03-07-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Link changed to generic archive.org
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Do you know if it's a legal download for the US?
No, it assuredly is not. Hemingway's work is only in the public domain in countries with a life+50 copyright term.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #64
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many works that were copyrighted for a 28-year term under earlier U.S. laws are available because their copyright was not renewed. Since the Internet Archive is a legitimate, respectable site, and since this work has been available there for years, I believe it's perfectly legitimate for me download it. I do not believe that it's up to me to investigate further.

Internet Archive also has the Charlton Heston audiobook version available for download--the same one that's on YouTube.

Last edited by issybird; 03-08-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Remove link.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #65
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
People should be mindful of copyright laws in their location. A link above was changed to a link to the Internet Archive home page and another post advocating ignoring copyright restrictions was deleted.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #66
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Many works that were copyrighted for a 28-year term under earlier U.S. laws are available because their copyright was not renewed. Since the Internet Archive is a legitimate, respectable site, and since this work has been available there for years, I believe it's perfectly legitimate for me download it. I do not believe that it's up to me to investigate further.

Internet Archive also has the Charlton Heston audiobook version available for download--the same one that's on YouTube.
Thank you.

Last edited by issybird; 03-08-2018 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Remove link.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #67
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
To be VERY clear -- I have a copy of The Old Man and the Sea. That copy is out of copyright, and that copy explicitly says "do with it whatever you wish". If anyone is having a hard time obtaining this book, I will most certainly want to give you a copy of my copy.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
To be VERY clear -- I have a copy of The Old Man and the Sea. That copy is out of copyright, and that copy explicitly says "do with it whatever you wish". If anyone is having a hard time obtaining this book, I will most certainly want to give you a copy of my copy.
You can legally give a copy of your copy to anyone who lives in a country with a life+50 copyright term, but not to someone in the US, or any country whose copyright term is life+70 or longer.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #69
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can legally give a copy of your copy to anyone who lives in a country with a life+50 copyright term, but not to someone in the US, or any country whose copyright term is life+70 or longer.

I went looking through several online databases to see if the book's copyright had been renewed. I couldn't find any book renewal in or around 1980, which was the end of the 28-year term. Which is not to say that it hasn't been renewed, but how much research do you expect a potential reader to do before downloading a book from a respectable site?

We're not talking about a publisher going out and reissuing the book without due diligence--of course a publisher should check completely. But a potential reader? I'm acting in good faith when I go to the Internet Archive and download a book, just as when I go to a store and buy a physical book--or should I ask the store to prove to me that it has the right to sell the book? And should I check with the book's publisher to make sure it legally obtained the rights to print the book? And with the author, so as to be sure the publisher isn't lying and compensated the author fairly?

No normal person does any of that, or should be expected to. Why is it different for an e-book? As long as we're not talking about some pirate site but a legitimate one, the onus is not on the reader to verify. Or do you want to call the Internet Archive a pirate site?

Project Gutenberg in the U.S. has a few of Margaret Sutton's Judy Bolton books online from the late 1950s. (That was a long-running popular girls' series, if you don't know.) I assume that she and her people forgot to renew copyright, but, naughty me, I snapped up the free downloads without doing a thorough copyright search! I didn't even do a half-assed copyright search--I just happily downloaded the books. Was that wrong? Or was it perfectly legitimate for me to assume that the books were public domain because PG is a legitimate site, just as Internet Archive is.

Bottom line: It's not my job to research the provenance of a book before I can read it.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #70
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
@Harry:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedPage.com
These books are public domain in Canada (because we follow the Canadian copyright laws), but if you are in another country, you should satisfy yourself that you are not breaking the copyright laws of your own country by downloading them. You are free to do whatever you like with these books, but we hope that mainly...you will enjoy reading them.
empahsis mine.

I can legally do whatever the heck I want with these books. Full Stop.

What others can or can't do with a book is up to them and the laws that govern them. The laws that govern ME, AS A CANADIAN, are clear and unambiguous. This book is public domain. Not PD maybe. Not PD sorta. Simply PD.

If we need to discuss this in more detail, I suggest that this is not the appropriate thread. Feel free to move it or start it somewhere else.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
@Harry:
empahsis mine.

I can legally do whatever the heck I want with these books. Full Stop.

What others can or can't do with a book is up to them and the laws that govern them. The laws that govern ME, AS A CANADIAN, are clear and unambiguous. This book is public domain. Not PD maybe. Not PD sorta. Simply PD.
Yes, of course it is in the public domain in Canada, and you can do whatever you wish with it. If you were to give it to someone in the US, it is the recipient who would be breaching US copyright law in accepting it, not you in giving it. My apologies if I was unclear on this point.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #72
recc
avid reader
recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad air
I've found the following 2 sites useful in trying to determine if an older book is still under copyright in the US:

Cornell University has a helpful chart of the numerous changes in US copyright terms.

Stanford University has a searchable database of copyright renewals from 1950 to 1992.

In the US, "life plus 70" applies only to books published after 1977. The Old Man and the Sea was published in 1952, and therefore is governed by earlier rules which required renewal after the initial term of 28 years. If no renewal was filed, then the book is in the public domain.

Checking the Stanford database, I found that the copyright was renewed on Hemingway's earlier works such as The Sun Also Rises, but there is no copyright renewal shown for The Old Man and the Sea (other than a study guide and an introduction).

Having checked these two sites, I am quite comfortable downloading a public domain version of this book from fadedpage, and believe that I am not violating US copyright rules. Certainly I may have missed some pertinent information somewhere, but I agree with Catlady that there is a limit to how much due diligence is reasonably expected of those of us who simply want to read a book.

Hope this helps.
recc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by recc View Post
Checking the Stanford database, I found that the copyright was renewed on Hemingway's earlier works such as The Sun Also Rises, but there is no copyright renewal shown for The Old Man and the Sea (other than a study guide and an introduction).

Having checked these two sites, I am quite comfortable downloading a public domain version of this book from fadedpage, and believe that I am not violating US copyright rules. Certainly I may have missed some pertinent information somewhere, but I agree with Catlady that there is a limit to how much due diligence is reasonably expected of those of us who simply want to read a book.
The pertinent information you're missing is the fact that "The Old Man and the Sea" was not originally published as a book, but as a serial in "Life" magazine in 1952, and thus its copyright renewal is not in the Stanford database, which only contains book copyright renewals. The renewal is, however, in the US Copyright Office database:

Quote:
Type of Work: Serial

Registration Number / Date:
RE0000052130 / 1980-01-22
Renewal registration for: B50000021683 / 1952-08-28

Title: The Old man and the sea. By Ernest Hemingway.

Appears in: Life, Sept. 1, 1952

Copyright Claimant:
Mary Hemingway (W)

Variant title: The Old man and the sea.

Names: Hemingway, Mary
Hemingway, Ernest, 1899-1961
As you see, the copyright was renewed after 28 years, as required, by Hemingway's widow, Mary. The book is therefore protected by copyright in the US, although it is in the public domain in countries with a "life+50" copyright term.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-08-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #74
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

And we readers are somehow supposed to know that the book is not a book at all but actually a magazine article, and therefore not in the most accessible database? Even though it is and has been sold as a book for over fifty years? Really?

And are you sure that a magazine copyright covers the material as it appeared in book form? Or was it copyrighted again as a book?

I guess before I download a book I need to hire an intellectual property lawyer--just to be sure that I'm not engaging in some criminal behavior.

I'll repeat: It's not my job to establish the provenance of the book before I read it. But I'm sure the folks at the Internet Archive would be glad of your concern and would look forward to your input about material on their site.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
And we readers are somehow supposed to know that the book is not a book at all but actually a magazine article, and therefore not in the most accessible database? Even though it is and has been sold as a book for over fifty years? Really?
Nope. Not your job at all. It is, however, the job of the moderating team to check these things when the copyright status of a work has been called into question, and to advise you that this work is not in the US public domain.