Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2016, 05:09 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Kindle DX firmware

It's been ages since I came to this forum - too busy to read

I received an email from Amazon, starting with:
Quote:
Your Kindle e-reader requires an important software update to continue downloading books and using Kindle services.
To receive the update, follow these steps:
• Plug your Kindle in to charge during the update.
• Turn on wireless.
• Leave your Kindle plugged in and connected to the wireless network overnight, or until the update is complete.
now I dont know if it is relevant to my DX (I bought from Amazon another smaller Kindle for my nephew, and they fail to mention which Kindle they are talking about!), but I checked anyway:
my DX firmware is 2.5.3
last DX firmware available is 2.5.8

I tried leaving it with wifi on and under power, but it didnt update.
I know that I could update it manually, but I was starting to wonder: why bother? - do you know if updating 2.5.3 > 2.5.8 is necessary? Does it change the user experience (I doubt it)???

thanks!

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
They didn't change the firmware but here what they write on the help page:

Quote:
For these devices [Kindle 2 and DX], even if you are running software version 2.5.8, if you have not connected to wireless (2G/3G) since October 5, 2015, please connect now.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
From the update page:

Quote:
The software update includes general improvements and the following new features:

Collections: Organize your books, audiobooks, and personal documents into one or more collections.

Pan and zoom in PDFs: Zoom into PDFs and pan around to easily view small print and detailed tables or graphics.

Password Protection: Protect your Kindle with a password when you're not using it.

More Font Sizes & Improved Clarity: Enjoy two new larger font sizes and sharper fonts for an even more comfortable reading experience.

Share what you're reading to Facebook and Twitter: Share meaningful book passages with friends on Facebook and Twitter directly from your Kindle.
Popular Highlights: See what the Kindle community thinks are the most interesting passages in the books you're reading.

... and I just read this on the Digital Reader blog:

Quote:
If you do not update the devices' software by March 22, 2016, you will no longer be able to access Kindle services or get the update via Wi-Fi or a wireless connection. To resume access, you will need to manually update the software on each of your Kindle devices.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 02-11-2016 at 05:48 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
/rant
I got the email. I've got 6 Kindle devices, including two DX's. No indication in the email which needs to be updated and I don't have regular access to wifi. For the first time I'm kind of pissed at Amazon. Tell which of the devices needs to updated. Don't make me dig through multiple layers of Amazon support pages to figure it out. Oh, and don't threaten me with cutting off service because I might not want to update my device.
/rant
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, this whole thing is beyond stupid. Apparently, even though my two DX's have the latest and last firmware (everything is also up to date), I need to connect with 3G. When I connect, I get a document that says I need to connect with wifi (which the DX doesn't have). Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I'll leave them both on for a while, but as they are basically backup devices and I only sideload, I'm not too worried about losing kindle services. Not good Amazon.
Advert
Old 02-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Ok, this whole thing is beyond stupid. Apparently, even though my two DX's have the latest and last firmware (everything is also up to date), I need to connect with 3G. When I connect, I get a document that says I need to connect with wifi (which the DX doesn't have). Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I'll leave them both on for a while, but as they are basically backup devices and I only sideload, I'm not too worried about losing kindle services. Not good Amazon.

I thought the DX-G ONLY has 3G, and NO wifi.
(Perhaps I'm confused about this.)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I thought the DX-G ONLY has 3G, and NO wifi.
It does indeed. That's precisely the point that jgaiser is making .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It does indeed. That's precisely the point that jgaiser is making .

I see what he's saying now. I didn't read it carefully enough.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous

I still don't understand what Amazon is doing. Both DX's were online last night (yes 3G only) for about an hour. I received a document telling me I need to turn on wifi and update my system. DX has no wifi and both DX's are at the latest firmware listed on Amazon's site.

I also received an email about an update to my PW1. I suspect that Amazon is in the process of forcing updates to all it's devices. Don't update, loose access to Amazon services. I don't really care as I don't jailbreak, but I think it's pretty shitty if that's what they are doing.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I haven't posted here in ages but I have a DX.

Well the DX I had a hack for version 3.3

I updated and it did do something pretty bad.

The kindle store is gone

Now I can use 3G and go to amazons actual site but there's a message about the kindle store in that it thinks there is a connection issue etc.

Is it possible to do a factory reset to get back to 2.5.8?
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A factory reset has no effect on the firmware, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #12
zelfdoen
Kindle k3-dxg fan
zelfdoen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, K3KB
"The kindle store is gone "
I currently have that same problem, my DX-G is on 3.1 firmware but got indication of available firmware update. I made the error of clicking Ok instead of Cancel, and it then did the update. Indeed access tot the Kindle Store is now gone. It tries to connect but fails. Error is "Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time". Browsing amazon.com or amazon.co.uk still works (using http, so the problem with the store is probably an https protocol issue ?)

Last edited by zelfdoen; 02-13-2016 at 05:07 PM.
zelfdoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #13
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
I just looked at my DX and its on 2.5.8. I don't know that I ever updated it and have to assume it came that way when I bought it 2 years ago.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
zelfdoen
Kindle k3-dxg fan
zelfdoen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, K3KB
Yes, indeed 2.5.8 is the official firmware, but there is a technical procedure described on Mobileread that enables one to upgrade it with Kindle 3 firmware after jail-breaking it (you actually need a K3 to do this). The K3 firmware has some drawbacks on DX-G but it improved the experience in other areas. But because Amazon thinks any DX-G is still on 2.5.8 I never expected a firmware update.

I checked for updates via the settings menu simply because I received email from Amazon about issues to expect after March 22, 2016. Do you on your stock 2.5.8 see an update available in the Setting Menu after you "Sync & Check for Items" ?
I assumed it would have something to do with modernizing secure https certificates or connecting protocols on devies before they tighten security on the Amazon Kindle Store ? On the DX you are not able to connect to Wikipedia for example, are you ?
zelfdoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I still don't understand what Amazon is doing. Both DX's were online last night (yes 3G only) for about an hour. I received a document telling me I need to turn on wifi and update my system. DX has no wifi and both DX's are at the latest firmware listed on Amazon's site.

I also received an email about an update to my PW1. I suspect that Amazon is in the process of forcing updates to all it's devices. Don't update, loose access to Amazon services. I don't really care as I don't jailbreak, but I think it's pretty shitty if that's what they are doing.
There's probably no one left at Amazon that is involved in the details of the implementation of this project that know there are non-wifi kindles.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote