Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Just ordered new Kobo Forma

Just got done pre-ordering a new Kobo Forma. I've been using an Aura One since they came out which has recently developed a flaky USB port so the timing was perfect for me. Looking forward to the page buttons.

Walmart has them available on their website as of today. If there are any issues it should be far easier to return it to the store than to mail it back.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
immortal192
immortal192 began at the beginning.

Device: none
It says [here](https://corporate.walmart.com/policies) under Returns > Timeframe for Returns that:

> We do also sell items from other companies on our website. At this time, these items cannot be returned to a store or to Walmart.com, but need to be sent back to the seller.

So I'm pretty sure that means the Kobo Forma cannot be returned to Walmart whether online or through store and must be sent to Kobo.

Also, it says for e-readers:

> Must be returned within 15 days with a receipt to obtain a refund or an exchange.

Whereas I think on the Kobo site it lists that there's a 30-day return window.

I'm not undecided whether to preorder it--there seems to be a tendency for manufacturers to fix things when there are hardware problems which tends to be the case with smartphones. I think for the Aura One it originally had poor lighting system and they fixed it after some time--not sure whether Kobo lets you exchange the item past the 30-day window if it's a relevant hardware issue, whether they offer to fix your device and charge a fee, etc.
immortal192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal192 View Post
It says [here](https://corporate.walmart.com/policies) under Returns > Timeframe for Returns that:

> We do also sell items from other companies on our website. At this time, these items cannot be returned to a store or to Walmart.com, but need to be sent back to the seller.

So I'm pretty sure that means the Kobo Forma cannot be returned to Walmart whether online or through store and must be sent to Kobo.

Also, it says for e-readers:

> Must be returned within 15 days with a receipt to obtain a refund or an exchange.
Walmart sells Kobos. I just went to Walmart.com, put in Kobo and aside from the Aura 2 and the H2O2, there was a banner saying 'Preorder the Forma'. Here is the link. Please note the "Sold & shipped by Walmart" comment.

Fifteen days with the option to return to a store two blocks from your house is preferable to thirty days, but there's shipping (to me at least).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just got my shipping notice from Kobo. Gross me to expect a package tomorrow!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Just got my shipping notice from Kobo. Gross me to expect a package tomorrow!
Considering where you live, couldn't you just drop by their offices and pick it up?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately I'm not that mobile right now, driving is out of the question. And no, the wife doesn't drive...
Old 10-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
How exciting, hope you love the new device!
Paperbackstash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
No shipping notice from Chapters yet... Kobo itself is a faster way. No surprise here.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Just came home from having a bone scan at the hospital and ten minutes later a knock on the door; Canada Post!!

The wife is very happy with her new device. It looks gorgeous and it's very light in the hand.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
The wife is very happy with her new device. It looks gorgeous and it's very light in the hand.
OK, I'll go first ...

Is the lighting even, both with and without 'full orange' mode? Any light bleed?

On a scale of 0-5 how 'loudly clicky' are the buttons from the POV of someone else trying to sleep?

Why can't I find somewhere to buy it in the UK yet ... and is it a conspiracy? (OK, no need to answer this one )
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Unfortunately its in her hands now so I can't check. As soon as I can pry it away from her I'll get some answers.

One neat thing is that they include the same type of USB cable that Tolimo use; it will fit either way into the device.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately its in her hands now so I can't check. As soon as I can pry it away from her I'll get some answers.
I can wait

Quote:
One neat thing is that they include the same type of USB cable that Tolimo use; it will fit either way into the device.
That's a nice surprise.

P.S. The Pre-Order button on Kobo UK has resurrected itself and I've succumbed. I normally buy from a UK retailer so I hope I don't end up regretting my lack of patience!

P.P.S ... has she finished yet? (only joking )
Old 10-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
OK, I'll go first ...

Is the lighting even, both with and without 'full orange' mode? Any light bleed?

On a scale of 0-5 how 'loudly clicky' are the buttons from the POV of someone else trying to sleep?

Why can't I find somewhere to buy it in the UK yet ... and is it a conspiracy? (OK, no need to answer this one )
I received mine as well so I'll try to answer. My screen is very even, I'm not noticing any light bleed. It's a very different colour from my Aura One, it's not orange, more of a light yellow.

The click varies depending on where you press. It's not near as loud as my Pocketbook 360+ used to be. I don't think it would bother anyone but it is louder if you click in the middle for some reason.

So far I'm very impressed, just need to get Calibre to recognize it but I'm sure that's coming soon.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #14
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Wait a minute... Did you guys manage to get the device before its official release?
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@Barcey, thank you,

The yellow-not-orange colour sounds similar to the ClaraHD.

LOL! It was my experience with the very 'clicky' Pocketbook 360 that prompted me to ask this question