Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #31
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Too bad that they did not implement it on the Voyage too.
The update is not for Voyage, or the feature to disable touchscreen is missing?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #32
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Based on updates seen since the mandatory communications one a year or more ago for all older Kindle e-readers I would not expect any further updates for the so called 5th generation and earlier Kindles including the Kindle Touch, Kindle 4/5 and Kindle Paperwhite Version 1.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #33
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Updated my Voyage, the boot screen font and picture is different. Zoomed in more on the kid under the tree
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Too bad that they did not implement it on the Voyage too.
It is, but Voyage owners with the jailbreak:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

can use the KUAL:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203326

extension :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=205064

intocable:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=279209

which has worked well for me in light testing. When intocable is running, the touch screen can be toggled between enabled and disabled by a long press on a "page back" button. (Developer estimates 500 milliseconds.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #35
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The update is not for Voyage, or the feature to disable touchscreen is missing?
The Voyage got a update to 5.9.2.0.1 firmware too but it only included the storage management enhancement as a noticeable change.
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
In addition to storage management feature, the content filters now include ‘Comics’ and Grid/List choice is in its own column now. Update your Kindle moved to Advanced Options. And I think Language Learning includes a Pinyin option for learning how to pronounce Chinese characters (this might have been there before but it is new to me).

THe Disable touchscreen feature seems to be too crude. Why not just disable page turn gestures (swipe l/r, l/r tap zones - or maybe just the l/r tap zones) and still let you select words, highlight, bring up reading and navigation options? Isn’t the problem mostly that the thumb pressing page turn button slides over onto the screen and accidentally touches the tap zone, resulting in an accidental page turn? Just disabling the r/t tap zones would eliminate that problem.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #37
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

THe Disable touchscreen feature seems to be too crude. Why not just disable page turn gestures (swipe l/r, l/r tap zones - or maybe just the l/r tap zones) and still let you select words, highlight, bring up reading and navigation options? Isn’t the problem mostly that the thumb pressing page turn button slides over onto the screen and accidentally touches the tap zone, resulting in an accidental page turn? Just disabling the r/t tap zones would eliminate that problem.
Just disabling page swiping would be useless to me. I put my hands on the screen. My fingers. I used to do that with paperbooks and with all non touch kindles. Many many times I highlight stuff I didn't mean too while reading. I don't notice as I an engrossed in the book. Now I can grab the O2 any which way I want. I can put my fingers on the line, or in the middle of the screen. I can wipe off some fuzz. And I can totally immerse into the book.

Yes, this won't work if you constantly highlight, search, look up stuff. i do that too at times, but I don't need to. And I don't always turn it off. Mainly when I have longer reading session of 30 minutes plus.

I suppose they could have made a multi step turnoff. Mabye that was just too complicated to implicate.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #38
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Just disabling page swiping would be useless to me. I put my hands on the screen. My fingers. I used to do that with paperbooks and with all non touch kindles. Many many times I highlight stuff I didn't mean too while reading. I don't notice as I an engrossed in the book. Now I can grab the O2 any which way I want. I can put my fingers on the line, or in the middle of the screen. I can wipe off some fuzz. And I can totally immerse into the book.

Yes, this won't work if you constantly highlight, search, look up stuff. i do that too at times, but I don't need to. And I don't always turn it off. Mainly when I have longer reading session of 30 minutes plus.

I suppose they could have made a multi step turnoff. Mabye that was just too complicated to implicate.
I think this is a very nice addition but I do look words up fairly frequently. Depending on the book of course. Some books I could read the entire tome without one lookup... others it could be one word per reading session.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #39
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

IMO it is easy to just disable the touch screen while doing a selective disabling would require some quite sophisticated software which would be much harder to implement, particularly with recognizing different swipe and tap techniques of individuals. I would hate to try and write the code for it.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #40
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
I am very very happy with this. I have wanted it for a long time but never thought they would bother to implement it.

Having to put the reader to sleep to re-enable the touch screen seems a little more inconvenient than it needs to be. Another way would be to press both page turn buttons at the same time, or tap them both at the same time twice... surely something like that could work.

In any case, I think it is great to have this option. Hopefully Amazon see how much people like it, and go on to refine it, and maybe even add the option to disable the automatic page-flip mechanism.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:33 PM   #41
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
People are getting the update on the Voyage? My Voyage isn't showing an update available, and when I went to the Amazon page about this update I thought I saw that the Voyage wasn't included among the readers that would receive it - ?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:06 AM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
People are getting the update on the Voyage? My Voyage isn't showing an update available, and when I went to the Amazon page about this update I thought I saw that the Voyage wasn't included among the readers that would receive it - ?
There is an update for Voyage, but I think the only feature of note is the ‘storage management’ feature. I pretty much always get the update file and update ‘manually’ as soon as it is available on amazon. Otherwise it can take days or weeks before it shows up.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:53 AM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

VoiceView works better now. When I last used it, it could be very tricky to pause and resume - it would often begin reading at the top of the page even though it had read some of it already. Now it pauses if you tap anywhere on screen, and the L gesture (swipe down and to the right) resumes from where it paused. I’ll probably use it more as a result.

The VV Tutorial fails to tell you how to turn pages (swipe left or right with two fingers).

Also, Kindle Store is now accessible with VoiceView!

Audible player is accessible (on Kindles with Audible feature).

I think it was probably true before, but Periodicals are not accessible with VoiceView.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #44
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There is an update for Voyage, but I think the only feature of note is the ‘storage management’ feature. I pretty much always get the update file and update ‘manually’ as soon as it is available on amazon. Otherwise it can take days or weeks before it shows up.
I did the same - manually downloaded the update for my voyage and updated it. On the Amazon site where it lists devices that require the update, it seems to be saying that there are some devices that require the update "to continue using some services on your device", and the Voyage isn't in that list, so the update isn't providing anything critical for functionality, but it's definitely available
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #45
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
The Voyage update doesn't include the touch-screen disable function. I can see why, but I hope the function gets added in a subsequent update. Hopefully the amazon team see positive feedback for the function, so it can be improved and refined, maybe with some of these possible suggestions:

- "don't show me this again" option on info text when disabling the touch-screen

- enable/disable touch screen by pressing both page-turn buttons simultaneously

- customize what you'd like the touch-screen to do: page turns and highlighting/lookup, or just highlighting/lookup with no page turns
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware 5.9.2.0.1