Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #76
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
The battery life is so poor, it's distracting me from reading. I can practically watch it count down through the percentages in real time. And as for using Audible - the drain is at least three times as fast. I doubt it would last even two hours on Audible.

I've ordered a lipstick-sized battery pack, so I can have that beside me when I read and take it with me in my purse. So hopefully this will improve how I feel about this.

In the meantime, I've switched off the percentage indicator.

Here is the tiny battery extender I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #77
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
Kindle Oasis: 245 mAh (no cover), 1,535 mAh (with cover)
Kindle Oasis 2: 1,000 mAh
That explains that. The Oasis 2 has only about 2/3 the battery capacity of the Oasis 1 (with cover), and has a larger screen and enhanced capabilities (Audible, for one). Battery life has to be less!

It's like having two roughly identical cars. One has a fifteen gallon gas tank, the other ten. Guess which one will go farther on a tank of gas?

Amazon could easily double the battery life of the Oasis 2 (by doubling the battery size) - but then we'd have a thicker and heavier device. I wonder where the sweet spot would be - the ideal balance between battery life and portability?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #78
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
What we need is better batteries, or better technology. So they can get smaller and smaller and more powerful.

I been getting 3 days now with light turned off when its brighter during the day. I do most of my reading with light and not in bed. I fall asleep in bed too fast to get much reading done that way.

I read heavily, hours each day. I do not use the audible feature on it. I just tried it out when I first got it to see how it works. I have wifi off and when I do have a light on its around 8-9.

So yes, it doesn't last as long as the O1 or the Voyage. But I am fine with it at this point. I am still trying to figure out if turning touchscreen off has any effect on battery. I do know it has an positive effect on my obsessively checking the battery percentage.

I do think it goes down slower starting at 100 and a tad faster when it gets lower. Might just be in my head.

Done worrying about it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #79
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
The Oasis is becoming a “charge it every night” item for me just like my Apple devices.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
That explains that. The Oasis 2 has only about 2/3 the battery capacity of the Oasis 1 (with cover), and has a larger screen and enhanced capabilities (Audible, for one). Battery life has to be less!

It's like having two roughly identical cars. One has a fifteen gallon gas tank, the other ten. Guess which one will go farther on a tank of gas?

Amazon could easily double the battery life of the Oasis 2 (by doubling the battery size) - but then we'd have a thicker and heavier device. I wonder where the sweet spot would be - the ideal balance between battery life and portability?
It's been said that thinner is not always better and this proves it. Just put in a better battery and if i has to be thicker/heavier, so be it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #81
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I've also noticed the Oasis 2 battery life not being particularly good. I can get WWAAYY more reading done on my Nook Glowlight 3 before needing to charge it than I can on the Oasis 2. Way way more. Did I mention way more?
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #82
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
What we need is better batteries, or better technology. So they can get smaller and smaller and more powerful.

I been getting 3 days now with light turned off when its brighter during the day. I do most of my reading with light and not in bed. I fall asleep in bed too fast to get much reading done that way.

I read heavily, hours each day. I do not use the audible feature on it. I just tried it out when I first got it to see how it works. I have wifi off and when I do have a light on its around 8-9.

So yes, it doesn't last as long as the O1 or the Voyage. But I am fine with it at this point. I am still trying to figure out if turning touchscreen off has any effect on battery. I do know it has an positive effect on my obsessively checking the battery percentage.

I do think it goes down slower starting at 100 and a tad faster when it gets lower. Might just be in my head.

Done worrying about it.
Totally agree, I know researchers are working on slimmer, more powerful batteries, but they need to do it quicker!

I'm fed up worrying about what brightness my KAO2 is at, etc., but I hardly use the light, my wifi is (usually) always off, and it still drains very quickly. It's not indexing, I've checked.

I'm downloading the new firmware to switch the screen commands off - I'm looking forward to using it just with the buttons.

I need to stop worrying about this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's been said that thinner is not always better and this proves it. Just put in a better battery and if i has to be thicker/heavier, so be it.
Although I already find the Oasis rather too heavy, I think I'd rather have it even heavier (or even have an extra battery in the case, like the first one, than be worrying about the battery life all the time. Today was my last day to return it and I'm definitely keeping it, as I love the larger screen, and I really love reading it in the bath (I can even read it with the whole device plunged under water - which I like to do, just because I can. ). (I was thinking about sending it back, and buying a first edition Oasis instead, but I'll tough it out. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post

If it were just 20g heavier, and it lasted for another week, I could deal with the extra weight.
I'll be carrying a battery extender with me whenever I travel. I'm convinced it's going to expire on the plane. (It really might, after I've been reading in the airport, and with the flight being around 11 hours!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I've also noticed the Oasis 2 battery life not being particularly good. I can get WWAAYY more reading done on my Nook Glowlight 3 before needing to charge it than I can on the Oasis 2. Way way more. Did I mention way more?
I was in B&N yesterday, and saw this glowlight 3 - it looks very retro, and they are making the comfort light (or whatever they are calling it) a big thing. Must be nice to not have to worry about the battery all the time. I'm guessing the next kindle will finally include this. But I'm keeping this one for three years - after all, I bought the warranty this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublincheri View Post
The Oasis is becoming a “charge it every night” item for me just like my Apple devices.
Yes, I suppose I'll have to just readjust my expectations and recharge it every night like you are doing, dublincheri.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:52 AM   #83
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Can anyone tell me the battery capacity of the Voyage? How does that fit with the Oasis 1 and 2. My Voyage goes on for weeks with wifi on without needing a charge.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #84
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
Can anyone tell me the battery capacity of the Voyage? How does that fit with the Oasis 1 and 2. My Voyage goes on for weeks with wifi on without needing a charge.
3.8V 1320mAh

And if you can go on weeks and weeks, maybe you don't read enough each day.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #85
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I try and read a little each day and i'll be honest the battery life doesn't bother me, but then i'm going from a Voyage with particularly poor battery life (i know as we have two of them).
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #86
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I try and read a little each day and i'll be honest the battery life doesn't bother me, but then i'm going from a Voyage with particularly poor battery life (i know as we have two of them).
I find the new Oasis fine for my usage (coming from a Voyage) but I have disabled wifi now since I normally side load everything now.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #87
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Yes, I suppose I'll have to just readjust my expectations and recharge it every night like you are doing, dublincheri.
I've had to charge the Oasis 2 twice in the time that I have only had to recharge the GL3 once (it is actually still going on that charge but it is down in the 30% range now).

And I primarily read on the NOOK! I'm having to charge the Oasis 2 about 2x times more often than the Nook and I don't even primarily read on the Oasis 2... ugh.

Still, the Oasis 2 doesn't get terrible battery life. Just an interesting comparison for me.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:21 PM   #88
Leilani
Leilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with others

Device: K3, Voyage, KOA2
Charge Every Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublincheri View Post
Yep - that's what I've been doing. I charged the Voyage every three-four days or so.
Leilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #89
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I tried the suggestion of useing airplane mode. I charged it last sunday, been keeping in airplane mode when not needing to be connected to the internet, kept the light as low as I can tolerate and 5 days later 50% drained as of this morning. I am off today so i spent a little more time reading and I can litterally see the battery bar go down. Now its down to about 20% battery life. Now amazon boast 6 weeks battery life on light level 10 and 30 minutes of reading a day not using wifi. So an hour a day I would think will at least give me 3 weeks reading. I have BARELY used the Oasis. maybe 30 to 45 mins reading after work. It should not drain this much? Compared to a cell phone and some tablets its still better charging but Amazon should have been more realistic on battery life expectations.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #90
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
i noticed battery discharge speed depending not only screen brightness, wifi/Bluetooth/cellular usage and indexing status, but also dictionary/highlight usage and turning page frequency. therefore amazon's 6 week battery life claim without indicating to what extent of dictionary and turning page usage would be renders it actually meaningless and misleading.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2