Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Update - Android 4.4 for Kepler Pro

I asked Booxtor and the folks at ereader.store if there was any progress on the Android 4.4 update for the Kepler Pro, and I offered to be a tester if that might be helpful. Booxtor sent me a link to a version of the beta firmware for the Kepler Pro that is 4.4. I installed it and tried it out.

The pros: touch response is good. Reading seems to work well. The switch from normal to A2 mode works well. Sleep mode seems to work.

The cons: WiFi will not start up. I tried to start WiFi in Settings/Network, and get the phrase "WiFi is starting", but nothing happens beyond that. I never get to the point where I can select my network. I am fine with beta firmware, but no WiFi is a no-go. Bluetooth does not work. The icons and text are smaller than they are in the stock firmware. Shutdown takes a long time.

Afterward, I reinstalled the stock firmware and WiFi worked once again. So, it's not a hardware problem.

I did not try to sideload apps.

So, there is progress. Once I can get WiFi to work on 4.4, I'll do more testing with the 4.4 firmware. I don't mind the rough edges of beta firmware, but I do need WiFi! Thanks to Booxtor and the team for taking this project on.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I could get WiFi to work, please pass them on.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Thanks for testing it. The first eink device that gets Android 4.4 or higher to work will get my money.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Onyx recently announced some new devices that may be available early in 2018, two of which will run Android 6.0! They are larger devices, though - 9.7 inch and up. I'll keep an eye on those. Maybe I'll get a revised version of the 4.4 Kepler Pro firmware before then. I really like the K-Pro. If it ran 4.4, it would be even better.

I'm told that the K-Pro, like most current E-Ink devices, can't handle anything newer than 4.4. These newer devices will have revised hardware so that they can run 6.0.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Onyx recently announced some new devices that may be available early in 2018, two of which will run Android 6.0! They are larger devices, though - 9.7 inch and up. I'll keep an eye on those. Maybe I'll get a revised version of the 4.4 Kepler Pro firmware before then. I really like the K-Pro. If it ran 4.4, it would be even better.

I'm told that the K-Pro, like most current E-Ink devices, can't handle anything newer than 4.4. These newer devices will have revised hardware so that they can run 6.0.
Yes, but I really prefer something 7" or smaller. I might bite the bullet and get the larger device if there's no other choices, but I would really like better choices!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Yes, but I really prefer something 7" or smaller. I might bite the bullet and get the larger device if there's no other choices, but I would really like better choices!
Totally agree. I wouldn't want anything bigger than 7 inches for an eReader. In fact, I once had a Kobo Aura HD (6.8 inches). It was a very good device, but even then, I found myself going back to six inches. It feels just right. On the other hand, a smartphone screen is too small (unless you have a huge phone!).

If I get a newer 4.4 beta firmware from Booxtor that has working WiFi, I'll be happy - and pass on the news when it happens.
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard

Barnes & Noble is offering the new Nook Glowlight 3. Available on November 8, it runs Android 4.4.2. B&N says that this device isn't designed to install apps or run Google Play. However, their previous device, the Glowlight Plus, also ran 4.4 - and some folks found a way to install apps on it. So, stay tuned.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Barnes & Noble is offering the new Nook Glowlight 3. Available on November 8, it runs Android 4.4.2. B&N says that this device isn't designed to install apps or run Google Play. However, their previous device, the Glowlight Plus, also ran 4.4 - and some folks found a way to install apps on it. So, stay tuned.

Where have you been, amigo?

There's a whole NEWS thread on this very topic, which I will now provide because I'm a really, really, really nice guy.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291759
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Where have you been, amigo?

There's a whole NEWS thread on this very topic, which I will now provide because I'm a really, really, really nice guy.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291759
Thank you much! You might have noticed that I posted in that thread... I thought I'd tell you because you are a really, really nice guy (I bet even Jon thinks so!) and I wouldn't want you to be embarrassed!
Old 11-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Thank you much! You might have noticed that I posted in that thread... I thought I'd tell you because you are a really, really nice guy (I bet even Jon thinks so!) and I wouldn't want you to be embarrassed!

Thanks!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
khalleron
Kate

The deciding factor will be if it can run Hoopla.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:22 AM   #11
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The deciding factor will be if it can run Hoopla.
According to Google, it must work even on older versions of Android, like FroYo:

Quote:
Hoopla Froyo! Frozen Yogurt - We have the best bottoms in town!
Hoopla Froyo! is a frozen yogurt store, serving multiple locations throughout New York!
hooplafroyo.com
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
According to Google, it must work even on older versions of Android, like FroYo:
No, I am not sticking my ereader in a bowl of frozen yogurt.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
No, I am not sticking my ereader in a bowl of frozen yogurt.
You mentioned that you wanted to run the Hoopla app. This is on the Nook Glowlight 3. Is this the app you mean?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoopla.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	160082  
Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
You mentioned that you wanted to run the Hoopla app. This is on the Nook Glowlight 3. Is this the app you mean?
Yes, it is. Does the NG3 run Android 4.4? Would I have to root it?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #15
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, it is. Does the NG3 run Android 4.4? Would I have to root it?
Yes, the NG3 runs Android 4.4.2. You don't have to root it to install apps. You do need to enable ADB on your desktop/laptop and USB debugging on the NG3. Then, install an Android launcher on the NG3 (so you can see the apps you install after) and then Hoopla (and any other app) by using ADB install, with the NG3 connected by USB to your desktop/laptop.

That may be more bother than you want. But if you decide to buy the NG3, I (and others, no doubt) would be willing to help you set that up.

I should add that I did not actually set up and run Hoopla, so I don't know how well it runs on the NG3. I suspect it will run okay, though it might be a little slower than it would be on a typical Android tablet.