Old 10-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #16
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Freedom Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
All them A's are measured in them Fancy French Units so by definition noone of thems can be letter sized.
Actually it was German, not French, now it's an ISO-Norm.
Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...oldid=80262785

#!chris
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #17
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
The company and the software on PC:
http://www.stareread.com/

I think STAReBOOK e-ink product is cooperated by Taiwan and China companies.

A Taiwan rental bookstore' brand is 'STAR'
(www.starfly.com.tw) uses the *.stk format to provide its ebooks.
The reader is also named 'eREAD'.

Last edited by segatang; 10-13-2006 at 11:51 PM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2006, 05:07 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Probably some crazy european ('cause it's metric) philosopher-mathematician-printer type.
Exactly.
Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1 July 1742 – 24 February 1799). He was an 18th-century German scientist, satirist and anglophile, most famous for his notebooks published posthumously (which he himself called "waste books", using the English bookkeeping term).
He obviously didn't know metric units, he just proposed sheets with proportions of 1 to sqrt(2)

Please note that nobody knows how american "letter" aehm.. "standard" came into being, or why it is 11 inches tall (and not 10 1/2 as it was in the history)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Is there any actual advantage to it aside from being able to fold an A4 in half to reliably simulate two A5's?
Yes. There are quite a few advantages.
See a VERY interesting article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...oldid=80262785

Not the last of those advantages is that it is THE STANDARD.
The only countries that did noit adopt the standard are:
USA, Canada. Yes. Even in The United kingdom they use ISO standard since 1959.
;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #19
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
Umm, forgive me for being picky, but I fail to see anything better, or for that matter, worse, between:

A5 is 5.83 x 8.26 inches
A4 is 8.26 x 11.69 inches

and

A4 is 210 x 297 mm
Letter is 216 x 279 mm

Now, if A4 was 200x300 mm, there might be something to crow about!
That is one ... interesting comment

Take a look.

Surely there is a difference between A5 and A4 (like two times difference). There is small difference between A4 and Letter (that we can ignore for a moment). Hence there is a difference between pair with difference and pair without one

Anyway, whole brouhaha is about the Reader size and A4/Letter sized PDFs.

Even if one print A4 sized pdf on two A5 landscaped pages, it would be very hard to read. Sony Reader (and probably STAReBOOK STK-101) useful screen area is almost two times smaller then A5.

The conclusion? To read A4/Letter sized PDFs we need A4/Letter sized Reader, and whoever will be making it should keep price down

Last edited by Slava; 10-14-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #20
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I think this thread has unraveled!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2006, 11:41 AM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
Exactly.
Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1 July 1742 – 24 February 1799). He was an 18th-century German scientist, satirist and anglophile, most famous for his notebooks published posthumously (which he himself called "waste books", using the English bookkeeping term).
He obviously didn't know metric units, he just proposed sheets with proportions of 1 to sqrt(2)

Please note that nobody knows how american "letter" aehm.. "standard" came into being, or why it is 11 inches tall (and not 10 1/2 as it was in the history)

Yes. There are quite a few advantages.
See a VERY interesting article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...oldid=80262785

Not the last of those advantages is that it is THE STANDARD.
The only countries that did noit adopt the standard are:
USA, Canada. Yes. Even in The United kingdom they use ISO standard since 1959.
;-)
Sorry to contradict but Canada is officially metric.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:14 PM   #22
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

The US vs the Rest of the World is all very amusing, but these readers are meant to be a replacement for paper books which don't use either A4 or Letter paper. Most paperback books are 8" by 5" so a six-inch screen seems like a reasonable approximation.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
I was not talking about the use of measuring system, I was talking about standard for paper sizes. They still use "letter" format for paper as standard and not A4

;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The black bar near the bottom looks like a nice place for a solar cell!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:45 PM   #25
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Well, so is the United States - "officially." But that just goes to show you how stubborn we are. Even though back in the 70's the government said we had to change - nobody did.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, like we'd take the gubmint's word for what's O-fish-all.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #27
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
imho: starebook looks nice.

[OT] nice discussion here - to sum up we need a paper formats thread!
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #28
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym
The US vs the Rest of the World is all very amusing, but these readers are meant to be a replacement for paper books which don't use either A4 or Letter paper. Most paperback books are 8" by 5" so a six-inch screen seems like a reasonable approximation.
Or the iLiad, at 8" diagonal, which is nearer still.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #29
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
STAReBOOK aka IBOOK eReader V12?

Looks like they are going to OEM the STAReBOOK (for which more can be found on this Chinese website).

Attached photo shows the IBOOK eReader V12 which is supposed to come out sometime around May 2007. And supposedly it can be equipped with WiFi or/and BT.

Isn't it slick?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IBOOKeReaderV12.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1843  
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #30
bhaggerty
bhaggerty began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym
I'd really love for someone to come out with an A4/Letter sized reader. 99% of the content I use for work is letter size.

There's a market niche not being served by the current products. As you note, they are laser focused on replacing the paper-back book. That's interesting, but to me it's a lot less interesting than replacing the stack of printouts I carry home every night and keep stacked up on my desk all day: research reports, SEC filings, westlaw printouts, journal articles, court motions, company presentations.

What matters to me: a4/letter, thin, light, e-ink screen, good battery life, processor fast enough to render PDF, keyboard to search.

What doesn't matter: touch screen (nice for notes, but as the iliad has demonstrated very hard to do right), backlight (printouts don't come with backlight), mp3 player (seriously, it's enough of a hassle to keep my ipod updated, i don't need to worry about syncing another device), color (99% of what i read is black and white), content (this is a different product than the sony reader - i can honestly see owning both that and this).

How big is this market niche? Well, the only person I can speak to for sure is myself, but others in finance might use it too. I'd imagine that sales and technical service representatives would dig it. I bet attorneys would find it useful.

The closest thing on the market now is the fujitsu stylistic. I'd buy that in a heartbeat, but $2k is north of what i'm willing to pay.
bhaggerty is offline   Reply With Quote