Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Readmoore
Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle
Kindle 4 screen is THE SAME as K3.

I've heard voices saying the K4 screen is better than the K3 and even has less glare. I now have both devices. They have EXACTLY the SAME screen. The difference shown in other posts is most likely due to uneven lighting that's not obvious to the human eye.
Readmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I think it's a little ridiculous to discount other user's experience because the ONE UNIT you got appears to be the same to you. A lot of people have reported slight differences between units, even of the same kind, and between brands, B&N and Amazon, etc. for the "same" Pearl screen.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Readmoore
Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.Readmoore can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
A lot of people have reported slight differences between units, even of the same kind...
If that's the kind of differences people intend to say, of course I understand, and I wouldn't even start a new thread. From what I heard, there are a lot of hoorays over their newly arrived K4s with this lighter screen (and I'm sure someone even mentioned less glare) ...

I just found it misleading. After all, screen quality is a very important criteria in choosing an E-reader. I don't have the time to waste to discount other people's experience. Trust me that it's only my good intention to point out to potential buyers that K4 screens aren't new and improved - in case that's what they're led to believe. It's EXACTLY the SAME TECHNOLOGY being used. And yes, I do also acknowledge that there might be slight differences in all products, even of the same model. Good luck.

That given said, I do like my $79 K4. It's totally worth it - affordable and has all the functions for serious reading. No complaints.
Readmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Actually some have said the opposite -- k4 has darker background, hence less contrast. AFAICT, only one person in this forum -- Jack -- has said the k4 screen is better. Blossom says the k3 is better, and she has had two k4s now. Lisa from mobile tech review says the k3 background is a little lighter. the guy from tom's hardware says the k3 screen is better, though people think it's his fault. Other people think they're the same, as you do.

So from my count, the k4's screen isn't faring as well as the k3's.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yes, I knew that. There have been no upgrades in eink screens commercially available since the K3 debuted. I only ordered the K4 Touch because of the touch screen.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Yes, I knew that. There have been no upgrades in eink screens commercially available since the K3 debuted.
I thought the iRiver Story HD had am improved screen. 1024x768 versus the normal 800x600.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I'm pretty sure that screens are the same across K4 and K3. Next Tuesday I'm getting a printer calibration kit with a colorimeter so I'll be able to measure screen performance on both devices and resolve this issue
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
tobbac
Banned
tobbac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Testing your two samples won't resolve the issue. People have posted photos which show a clear difference in contrast. I think it's most likely Amazon went for a lower grade of the Pearl screento save money...just like computer chips, E-Ink screens are graded as produced and the better batches are sold for higher cost. Naturally some of the samples within a batch will vary but it's less likely for people to notice or be bothered with high graded batches.

Last edited by tobbac; 10-06-2011 at 09:00 PM.
tobbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Actually some have said the opposite -- k4 has darker background, hence less contrast. AFAICT, only one person in this forum -- Jack -- has said the k4 screen is better. Blossom says the k3 is better, and she has had two k4s now. Lisa from mobile tech review says the k3 background is a little lighter. the guy from tom's hardware says the k3 screen is better, though people think it's his fault. Other people think they're the same, as you do.

So from my count, the k4's screen isn't faring as well as the k3's.
Count me as another one who thinks that my K4's screen looks better than my K3's.

Allowing, of course, for subjectivity, I find that the background on my K4 is just a little bit brighter, providing excellent contrast.

It arrived on Monday and I've been happily reading every since!
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Well I can say without a doubt that my K3 and K4 do not have the same finish as each other. It's really hard to get it in a picture believe me I've tried I've taken over 50 pics and you might get lucky to get it to show correctly but I have not. I am open suggestions on how to get the screen to show correctly on a digital photo. I've tried flash and non flash so far.

I wont say those who say their K3 and K4 are the same or better are wrong. We know E-Ink varies but I can say my K3 screen is far superior then the two K4 I have own. So I just recommend not getting rid of your K3 till you get your K4 and are happy with it. I had two other people PM me privately who had my issue but didn't want others to know. I hope they have their new ones by now like I do and are happy with it.

I just say don't get rid of your K3 till you get a K4. So you don't wind up asking yourself why you got rid of such a great reader for a basic one.

Some are speculating that maybe the K3 purchased in 2010 have better contrast and lighter background then those made in 2011. I don't know if this is true but It's a possibility Amazon switched manufacturer during that time or used a different stock of screen.

I don't know if I think the screen is lesser quality. The new one doesn't have the pixel problem the old one had. The old one I had looked like Tom's hardware's pics. You could tell it on the Ws, Ms and a few letters. I don't see this on the new one. So again it varies and if you get a screen you don't like, don't settle! Amazon will be happy to make it good. There could be a bad batch out there. I know I had one but my new one is pretty good and I'm happy with it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here I tried something new and I think I got a pic to finally show the difference of my screens so people can understand where I am coming from.

You can in this pic see the difference of variations between the two. The K4 is a light grey and the K3 a creme even though it's in the one in shadows if I put it in the light it's gets near off white, no grey to be seen but I am trying to show the K4s and my K3s difference not the brilliance of my K3 screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screens.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	77409  

Last edited by Blossom; 10-06-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Camera pictures unless taken in a very specific way tend to be very misleading. There are thousand factors in play, including our own brain playing tricks on us like in the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Sen1HTu5o
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Camera pictures unless taken in a very specific way tend to be very misleading. There are thousand factors in play, including our own brain playing tricks on us like in the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Sen1HTu5o
Agreed the pic I posted above come to the closest I've gotten it to look.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Here I tried something new and I think I got a pic to finally show the difference of my screens so people can understand where I am coming from.
<snip>
Interesting. Both my K3 and K4 screens are very similar to your K4 screen, which--for me--is just fine. And, since my K4 looks the same (or slightly better) than I'm used to with my K3, I'm very happy.

I do also fall into the same camp with those who've said they're experiencing less glare from the screen of their K4. (I guess I just got lucky.)
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Interesting. Both my K3 and K4 screens are very similar to your K4 screen, which--for me--is just fine. And, since my K4 looks the same (or slightly better) than I'm used to with my K3, I'm very happy.

I do also fall into the same camp with those who've said they're experiencing less glare from the screen of their K4. (I guess I just got lucky.)
I bought mine in Nov 2010. So Maybe it's before they switched stock or I just got really lucky on my K3.