Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I downloaded the mk6 update and the filesize is 84,648,827 bytes, but I have no way to tell whether that is the faulty one or the good one. md5sum: b0208d75e861176f504df0a1ce2ddbf2 kobo-update-4.4.9344.zip
What link did you use to get this version since the one I downloaded was the bad one?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #32
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What link did you use to get this version since the one I downloaded was the bad one?
Same one you did. It is not the link that is the problem, I guess it is that the faulty file has been cached somewhere along the route between the Kobo server and the downloader.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #33
jfreudenthal
jfreudenthal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
My A1 seems to be running 4.3.8945 and I tried syncing several times but no new firmware is detected?
jfreudenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreudenthal View Post
My A1 seems to be running 4.3.8945 and I tried syncing several times but no new firmware is detected?
Stick with that firmware for now. You could end up with the bad one. Also, it depends what affiliate you are set for.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #35
jfreudenthal
jfreudenthal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
i will, thanks. WIFI OFF...
jfreudenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #36
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreudenthal View Post
Having waited over a month for a firmware update, about a week ago I finally got tired of waiting, and went in and manually changed my affiliate so I could get the latest firmware version.

Since then, I have ended up having to re-do all my collections on my H2O due to the SD card not being recognized. And now, I'll have to do a factory reset and then re-load all of my sideloaded books onto my Aura ONE due to this black screen business.

So now it seems more than evident to me, why Kobo are staggering their updates! "New firmware version" should not always be interpreted as "improved firmware version"!
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #37
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
So now it seems more than evident to me, why Kobo are staggering their updates! "New firmware version" should not always be interpreted as "improved firmware version"!
I wonder, do the affiliates have any say in when an update is released, or are affiliates named in the software simply a mechanism for Kobo to foist some non-consensual "beta testing" upon those unfortunately affiliated end-users? (aside from branding).
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #38
sladflob
Connoisseur
sladflob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura One
Is anyone else seeing strange font lightening when you turn the page? I don't really know how else to describe it... I tap to turn a page and the page briefly displays with a heavier/darker font then it's as if the page refreshes again and the text gets slightly lighter. I've only started noticing it on the 4.4 builds on my KA1 but it's possible it was always there? Can someone explain what's happening? All of my books are ePubs I've bought off Google Play Books and sideloaded after converting with Calibre.
sladflob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I wonder, do the affiliates have any say in when an update is released, or are affiliates named in the software simply a mechanism for Kobo to foist some non-consensual "beta testing" upon those unfortunately affiliated end-users? (aside from branding).
Yes, the affiliates have a say. Or at least have the option. Rakuten only take some firmware versions. Other than that, I don't know whether any take action on the releases or order of release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #40
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
And there seems to be no way of forcing the good update as I've tried several times and got the faulty one. Good call Kobo <rolls eyes>
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #41
scegghy
scegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverscegghy exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Forma
I have just downgraded to 4.4.9298 and it is working.

Now the hard part is downloading all e-books without getting the new update
scegghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #42
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scegghy View Post
I have just downgraded to 4.4.9298 and it is working.

Now the hard part is downloading all e-books without getting the new update
you can patch to disable wifi updates, you'd still be able to sync I believe.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #43
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
you can patch to disable wifi updates, you'd still be able to sync I believe.
You're able to do it. Yesterday I synced dictionaries but not FW (the patch is applied in my ereader).
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #44
raca339
raca339 is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
Hello!
This is my very first post here.
I too now have a black screen on my Aura One after 4.4.9344 update.

Excuse me for this noob question but how do I downgrade firmware?
I have downloaded the previous fw (4.4.9298) for my Kobo, but as I only have a black screen I see no possibility to connect my Kobo to my computer...
raca339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #45
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
apparently the black screen is a case of black text on black paper - so perhaps try connecting to you computer and tapping the screen roughly an inch each direction from the bottom left corner - if successful you'll get it to mount and then copy the fixed firmware (see the developer fourm here) and copy it to .kobo
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote