Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Steppenwolf_1948
experienced reader
Steppenwolf_1948 began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Please allow me to introduce myself

Nice to meet you all. I am from the Netherlands and I like to read. From fantasy novels to scientific handbooks. My job is with a European programme where I am a life sciences project officer. I was trained as a biologist and of course my hobbies include growing all kinds of things, from carnivorous plants and orchids (think Orchid Fever and the Orchid Thief) to fish and butterflies (think Nabokov). I like to travel, to fish (think Hemingway), photography, people, languages and if I had lived in an earlier age, I would have loved to be a Homo Universalis.

And I like to READ. Favourites include Annie Dillard, C.L. Moore, Lord Dunsany, Jan Kjaerstad and many others. If you like to know more just ask . . . . .

Rolf

PS (oh yes, the nickname stems from
- the Herman Hesse novel Der Steppewolf
- the sixties band with their hit "Born to be WIld"
- and of course the sheer power and beauty of the animal itself.

Rolf is a modern form of the old Norsk name Hrolf, which in itself means wolf. Ironically enough I am not a blond nordic giant, but a Dutch/Indonesian mix locally known as "Indo")
Steppenwolf_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hi. Welcome to the site.

Carnivorous plants. You mean like Audrey 2?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Steppenwolf.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR, Rolf!

I've never had any luck growing orchids. Although I do like reading about orchid (and other plant) hunters.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Steppenwolf_1948 and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
SilverBear
ἄρκτος ὁ Μέγας
SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Welcome, Steppenwolf_1948!
There aren't a lot of people who still know of Lord Dunsany. I'm glad to meet another fan!

SilverBear
SilverBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Steppenwolf & welcome to MR. Great place for people who love to read. And with your many hobbies, an reader device would be ideal as you could start tending to your plants and read :-)
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Hi Steppenwolf, great nickname. Welcome to MR. Everytime I read a post entitled please allow me to introduce myself I open it thinking that the actual post will read:

I'm a man of wealth and taste.... (It's probably better off that this never happens!)

Thanks for telling us about your hobbies and taste in books. It's only your first post, and already you have inspired me to re-read Steppenwolf, I was just thinking today that I should re-read some of my favourite works by Hesse!

I hope you enjoy yourself here, this is a great online community, the best that I've come accross.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Steppenwolf_1948
experienced reader
Steppenwolf_1948 began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Thank you for a warm welcome

Well, if I may use one message to reply to you all . . .

@ LatinandGreek
I AM of course, a man of wealth (although not in worldly posessions) and taste (which will show in later discussions, I hope) . . . . . As a child of the sixties, and still playing in a R&R band I cannot resist dropping hints to classic rock songs.

@Katis Cat
As I travel quite a lot, most of my reading is done on trains and boats and planes. I have not yet decided on a separate e-reading device, most things I read on my MacBook (or on paper).

@Silver Bear
Ha! Lord Dunsany is probably the most lovely English I ever read. I would love to hear it read to me sometime. Even to a foreign speaker like me, it is sheer poetry. Did you, by the way ever read H.P. Lovecraft? I especially recommend The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath, The Cats of Ulthar and Celephaïs a;; to be found at (http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/ )

@ShortandCuddlyAm
Orchids are the most hardy plants possible, IF you keep them under the right circumstances. But in my collection it also not unusual for plants to die every now and then. But if you like, you are welcome to what little advice I have to offer.

@Happy Terd
Carnivorous plants as in North American Sarracenia and Dionaea and several sundews. And please enlighten me, Audrey 2?????
Steppenwolf_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, Steppenwolf_1948

I believe that Audrey II is in reference to the plant from the move, Little Shop of Horrors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Shop_of_Horrors_(musical)

Make sure you check out all the free ebooks right on this site. The are carefully hand crafted by some very dedicated MR members. You can also check my signature for many MR author members at feedbooks and smashwords.

Have fun exploring the forums and ask if you want to know something.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Welcome to MR..

I remember 'Born to be wild'.. I was riding my own BMW motorcycle at that time... In those days I lived in Denmark, and we were riding all over Scandinavia and Germany...

Geeze.. how times have changed...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote