Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #31
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
The ECO Reader (ANZ version of the HanLin V3) also officially supports Adobe DE.

See screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlook.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	34187  
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #32
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I do wish someone would change the title of this thread to "Official list of ADE's version of epub compatible e-book devices".
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #33
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Yesterday I gave a speech before the members of the Flash Memory Summit. Our panel was "Consumer Applications". One of those applications was eBook Readers. I had to downplay Astak and talk about eBook Readers in general. After the speech several people came up and said they had no idea that there was anybody manufacturing devices other than Amazon. They were, frankly astonished. They were also really raving about the one Maroon Pocket PRO I had there.

I stand by what I have been saying all along... even the most technical of people still have almost NO knowledge of eBooks or the benefit of eBook Readers. To them, there is such a device,Amazon makes it, and they never knew that most eBook Readers play MP3 and they want that.

I think we all need to be aware that we still (meaning Astak, Amazon, Sony, Plastic Logic, and many others ALL have a need to fairly educate the public about what eBook Readers are all about!!
See now this is a perfect example of the point I was trying to make. My point may have more implications in the US but the general matter, that people are unaware of the choices they have, is a big issue when you're pushing common formats. Think about this question "Why do I care about common formats when there is only one company making eBook readers?" This is the sort of justification for ignoring the matter that comes from unawareness of the small but vibrant community of electronic reading in general.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #34
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think you may get your wish in so far as dedicated devices are concerned. With the exception of Amazon and Foxit all the new devices support ePUB (as well as other formats). In addition the products shipped within the last year or so are being upgraded with new firmware to support ePUB as an option.
I agree. I think the reason though, is nothing anywhere close to the reasons an open formats advocate would use. My estimation is that newcomers are looking to distance themselves from a specific company's proprietary format and most popular formats were created for specific readers or reader software. So basically, if they want to have options that have a low chance of being locked down and reduce the risk of their device being attacked legally over it, they have to choose an open format. Since ePub actually has commercial support, it makes it a pretty obvious choice, even if it's a watered down version that supports DRM.

At any rate, whatever the reasoning, I'm glad to see more support for it. It reminds me of MP3. But this time it's far better. With MP3 it became popular because it was basically the only choice worth using... 12-13 years ago. But at this point, MP3 is one of the lowest quality in terms of audio field reproduction to bitrate ratios. But you can't seem to stop people from insisting that it should always be the format in use. To top it off, it's not even open, it's proprietary! heh...

Well with eBooks, getting popular enough such that a common format is important it makes me quite happy to see a decent format which is pretty well open and understood by software developers working with it. It's a very positive sign for the future of electronic reading.

At this point I would feel entirely comfortable buying a device even if it supported no format besides ePub (though, I'd really like native PDF support for needs that are not under my control... but that's another gripe altogether).
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #35
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
How difficult would it be for Adobe, or some other company, to update ePub to accommodate user options such as margins, page numbers, etc?

Once done, would it be a simple firmware update?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
How difficult would it be for Adobe, or some other company, to update ePub to accommodate user options such as margins, page numbers, etc?

Once done, would it be a simple firmware update?
It would be a firmware update. As to the ease it depends on the integration. It can be a bit tricky to honor some CSS margins and not others but it is doable. I think it just has to be communicated as important. For example the CSS information may have to be interpreted differently that the statement says. For example take a user defined margin and then the text needs to indent a particular paragraph. It may turn out that the CSS has absolute numbers defined which will need to be interpreted as relative with regard to the user defined margins. In addition the feature of increasing font sizes has to be considered. There are hundreds of details like this. It is doable but not trivial. ePUB is fairly complex standard with lots of variables.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #37
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OpenInkPot needs to expand to Open ePub
Old 08-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
OpenInkPot needs to expand to Open ePub
OpenInkPot does support ePUB using FBReader which as an open free program. However, the current features support for ePUB is not quite as good as ADE.

Dale
Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #39
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Sounds to me like there is so much potential for ePub. I'd like to see ADE improve it moreso.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #40
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know it's a long shot.... I still (blush) read eBooks on my Palm TX... Anyone know of an ePub reader for Palm, or do I have to go with a conversion tool to say MobiPocket?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #41
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I know it's a long shot.... I still (blush) read eBooks on my Palm TX... Anyone know of an ePub reader for Palm, or do I have to go with a conversion tool to say MobiPocket?
I am not aware of one for Palm and there is only one for Pocket-PC. PDA's are behind the curve on ePUB.

Dale
Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #42
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
What software on pocketpc will handle epub?

edit I guess I found it: Zulureader
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #43
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
OpenInkPot does support ePUB using FBReader which as an open free program. However, the current features support for ePUB is not quite as good as ADE.
I read EPUB all the time on OpenInkpot, and what it does it does very well. Of course there is no support for DRM, but the FBReader on OpenInkpot displays Calibre generated EPUBs quite nicely, IMHO.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #44
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I read EPUB all the time on OpenInkpot, and what it does it does very well. Of course there is no support for DRM, but the FBReader on OpenInkpot displays Calibre generated EPUBs quite nicely, IMHO.
I would agree but CSS is only limited support and tables are not supported at all. Of course for general books with no special requirements it works very well. No SVG either.

Dale
Old 08-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #45
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
I do wish someone would change the title of this thread to "Official list of ADE's version of epub compatible e-book devices".
I'll second that! The way a lot of people seem to take "Adobe ePub" as the ePub for granted is somewhat disturbing.
Next thing, someone comes along claiming Adobe invented ePub ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote