Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 AM   #16
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
The first decision question is: Do I need 10,2" - do I have a lot of A4 Papers to read? The second is: Do I need the scribble function? If both yes: DR1000.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:32 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not only if you want to read A4 papers, of course. What I love about the DR1000S when reading at home is that it displays almost exactly the same amount of text on the page as a typical hardback book does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #18
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
The first decision question is: Do I need 10,2" - do I have a lot of A4 Papers to read? The second is: Do I need the scribble function? If both yes: DR1000.
will i need 10.2" when reading A4 sized papers? and yes i have many A4 pdf files, most are A4. but im also looking for reading normal ebooks, novels or only news from my rss feeds.

im in a real dilemma, i really love this cute look of the prs505 in its brown leather case and this image of reading a book
but the most of my ebooks are A4 and very technical (studying Game Design)
but i would be also satisfied by reading only a half page at once

dont have any use of a scribble function until now, but maybe i could use it

im leaning to the prs600, iliad2 or DR and all of them got a scribble function as i know

im also reading not "linear" just skipping some pages and get back to them at later time, so page turn speed is also important to me

@HarryT: really like the advantages you describe about the DR, but is it worth the money?
and why should i compare it to tablet pcs? is it possible to do more than reading on it? except for scribble, dictionary or mp3 function
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
im in a real dilemma, i really love this cute look of the prs505 in its brown leather case and this image of reading a book
but the most of my ebooks are A4 and very technical (studying Game Design)
but i would be also satisfied by reading only a half page at once
Believe me; reading an A4 PDF on a 6" device can in no way be described as a "satisfying" experience. It just doesn't cut it.

Quote:
@HarryT: really like the advantages you describe about the DR, but is it worth the money?
and why should i compare it to tablet pcs? is it possible to do more than reading on it? except for scribble, dictionary or mp3 function
For me it was worth it. Whether or not it's worth it for you is a decision that only you can make.

Most eBook readers are precisely that - readers. the iRex devices are the only ones really designed for "input", too - marking up and annotating documents, taking notes, etc. That's why they should - IMHO - be compared more to Tablet PCs. They are really not aimed at the personal user, but at the business market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Kindle DX

I am curious why there are very few suggestions for the Kindle DX - it supports pdf, the screen is nearly as large as the Irex device, with an arguably better battery life at half the price. I find the scribble functionality on these devices to be a novelty, the fascination of which, wears off rather quickly.
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I am curious why there are very few suggestions for the Kindle DX - it supports pdf, the screen is nearly as large as the Irex device, with an arguably better battery life at half the price.
If Amazon had put any effort at all into their PDF support, it would blow away the DR1000S for "technical literature". As it is, for PDF the KDX lacks: table of contents navigation, highlights, notes, search, and dictionary lookup. It also has only two view modes (portrait and landscape, no zoom), but that may be ok on the large screen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #22
Floeee
Groupie

but with the only problem, that the KDX is only available in america and im from europe (austria)

im happy that the irex devices are available in my town at such a good price like in the irex store

so the prs600 is about 300 euro, the iliad1 is 10% off for 500 euro, iliad2 600 and the DR about 700 euro

i gave the prs505 back today and now looking for one of these devices
i would lie if i say money doesnt matter, but its not that important like the reading experience

im reading about 60% pdf, 20% news and feeds, 20% books
but i also want a good looking and handy device for reading on the way
page turning speed should also be faster than on the prs505, but the display and contrast of it, should not be worse than the one from the prs600

i also would really like the wifi and surfing on internet from my couch, but also the use of the touch screen on the prs600, but aaalso the large display of the DR

so what would you recommend in your personal opinion?

(sorry for my bad english btw ^^)
Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #23
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
i also would really like the wifi and surfing on internet from my couch, but also the use of the touch screen on the prs600, but aaalso the large display of the DR

so what would you recommend in your personal opinion?

(sorry for my bad english btw ^^)
I personally am extremely happy with my DR. Most of the books that I read on it are 8.5" x 11" size, very close to your A4 books, and it displays them without the need for me to zoom at all, which is nice. That would not be possible on a smaller 6" device.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #24
Floeee
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I personally am extremely happy with my DR. Most of the books that I read on it are 8.5" x 11" size, very close to your A4 books, and it displays them without the need for me to zoom at all, which is nice. That would not be possible on a smaller 6" device.
but would it be possible on the iliad ?? why have you got the DR and not the iliad?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #25
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I suspect, and I don't want to put words into other peoples mouths, the DR handles pdf's better as it has a larger screen and is designed around a "work" environment. The iliad is a good compromise for general reading and "light pdf" viewing.

For any pdf of A4 or US equiv, the DR works very well. Yes you can read them on the iliad in landscape, but it is a far more satisfying experience on the DR. Screen size matters for easy of reading with pdfs.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #26
Floeee
Groupie

but what is with the iliad1 or 2? what are the main differences except the screen? which on is the fastest from prs600 iliad1 or 2? (i guess DR would be fastest, but whats with the others?)

im searching for real good reasons, spending 700 euro on a device for reading, because you can print that much pdfs for that money
Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #27
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
but would it be possible on the iliad ?? why have you got the DR and not the iliad?
Actually pthwaite, your thoughts on it are very close to my own.

I bought my DR primarily for tabletop/pen and paper roleplaying games, which is an environment similar in some remarkable ways to a working group project environment. I needed something lighter than a laptop that I could carry my hundreds of PDF books on that would make for comfortable reading without the issues of zooming and constantly panning to find the piece of text I need.

The DR offers a highly readable medium for PDF e-books in full screen mode (regardless of what JSWolf wants to call them). I can easily transfer home-made PDF's to the device in a very readable format, and then I can write notes on them! There is literally no other device in existence that does all those things.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #28
Floeee
Groupie

ok thats a nice kind of use, since i played also pen and paper roleplaying games for a very long time ^^

but what exactly is better on the DR against the iliad? except of the bigger screen and having multiple pdf open

because there are very much pro points to the iliad: usb hub, wifi, its more handy and cheaper

is it faster or has the DR other functionalities i dont know about?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #29
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Floeee,
If you go to the irex website you can see the differences between the models:
http://www.irextechnologies.com/products.

The main differece between iLiad and iliad book edition is the latter doesn't have wifi connectability. (whether it is of any use, I suggest a look a the iliad forum and make an assesment on how you would use the device. The software is no longer supported by irex.
The DR is bigger and faster (no wifi) and more suited to a work environment.

The speed of response, between irex cevices and Sony, I cannot comment on other than in general terms.
I have a Sony 505 and for reading epubs/mobi books on the DR1000 and Sony 505, they are much of a muchness in general use. No great difference in practical terms. However for pdfs, the Sony is hopeless for A4 or larger. I cannot read them at all comfortably and the rendering isn't quick. The Sony also takes a long time to move to Landscape which you would have to do to read. (Although that is rather dependanty on your eyesite and the natural size of pdf). The DR too can take a while to open a pdf but is generally reasonably quick to move between pages and I don't have to change to landscape. I can zoom and pan on the DR which I cannot do on the Sony 505.

However, I understand the 600, having a touchscreen can handle pdfs somewhat better, but I'd suggest a carefull read of that forum.

Nevertheless, If you wish tor read "Letter" or "A4" docs, and can afford it, (it is on the pricey side) I'd still buy the DR. That's not to say things may change as other developers come around.
If you just wish to read a few large pdfs and a lot of books, I'd consider the iliad. However, for book reading the iliad is limited to mobi books whereas the DR will (sometime soon) be able to read epub and epub is the way Europe appears to be moving.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #30
Floeee
Groupie

ok thats the nicest post ever ^^ now im sure i will buy an irex device these days

and i also recognized that irex doesnt support epub until now, but if the only way wo read this, would come along with DR i would buy it

that was my biggest problem with the 505 as you described

i also saw all the differences on the irex page, but they are not the same like im using the device, for example page turning speed or battery life

the 505 should turn pages in about a second, but depending on which format i use its about an average of 2-3 seconds

so if the DR is about as fast as the 505 the iliad is slower?

im using 45% a4 pdf with pictures, 35% pdf and other formats with text only and 20% news and feed, thats why a wifi would be nice but not a must