Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Interview with Wizpac, creators of the txtr at Leipzig Book Fair

Dear Mobileread.com members,

I have exciting news for you today! We were invited to do an Interview with representatives from German ebook startup Wizpac about their new eink based reading device, the txtr (www.txtr.com).
The interview was done today, live at the Leipzig Book Fair and I've got it all on video. The original material is HD 720p .mov which we unfortunately can't upload to the server without compression, so you will have to make do with Youtube HQ. I'll try my very best to preserve as much quaility as I can.

In addition to the interview we have a little bit of footage from the device in action, however, the two devices on display in Leipzig were early prototypes so you really only get a short glimpse. The information in the interview should be enough to keep you happy for a while though...
To round things off I took a few snapshots of the txtr in comparison to my STAReBOOK and iRex iLiad.
When I first saw the device I thought it's a 5" screen, but it's actually 6" just like the Cybook and Sony Reader. It looks smaller because the shape of the "frame" is different. Very interesting effect.

I'm uploading this in stages, the short demonstration clip and the photos first, the long interview video (approx. 20 minutes) will be up a little later.
Leave comments and ask questions, the guys from Wizpac are keeping an eye on this forum and anything you have to say might help them make the device even better...and might give us another excellent eink device to spend our hard-earned money on!

Pageturning Video

Video on Youtube in HD quality.

Interview Part 1 (thanks to Moejoe/typewriterhead for the conversion!)

Interview Part 2 (thanks to Moejoe/typewriterhead for the conversion!)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2338.jpg
Views:	1206
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	25579   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2339.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	25580   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2340.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	25581   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2341.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	25582   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2343.jpg
Views:	1853
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	25583   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2342.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	646.0 KB
ID:	25584   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2346.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	25585  
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
nice !! it looks much better in black !!! can't wait to see the video. and for the release date.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Druidsbane
Druidsbane began at the beginning.

Device: txtr
It is truly a beautiful device I hope the interview will be translated to English at some point. I agree that the black is beautiful as well. The speed is extremely impressive. Did he mention at what stage they are at in development? Are they ready to manufacture these devices? How soon can we get our hands on them? That's probably the question on everyone's mind. Thanks so much for this interview though
Druidsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

We did the interview in english so that we would not have to translate it later on.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidsbane View Post
It is truly a beautiful device I hope the interview will be translated to English at some point. I agree that the black is beautiful as well. The speed is extremely impressive. Did he mention at what stage they are at in development? Are they ready to manufacture these devices? How soon can we get our hands on them? That's probably the question on everyone's mind. Thanks so much for this interview though
What I want to know is how open the reader will be. Will you be able to add functionality and on what levels? Is the goal to get a user community that extends the functionality and how will this work?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Now I want one even more! It's a beautiful design, and has everything I would want. Go Wizpac!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
We did the interview in english so that we would not have to translate it later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What I want to know is how open the reader will be. Will you be able to add functionality and on what levels? Is the goal to get a user community that extends the functionality and how will this work?
in the other txtr thread, someone from the team said they wanted a very open format and will be releasing an sdk for people to create new apps with.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Please be patient...all the juicy info is in the interview. Many questions you are asking now are answered there.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm kind of iffy on the design. I like the idea of buttons on both sides to page turn..does this one have touch screen?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
arit
Cybook Warrior
arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia E65, HTC Universal, Cybook G3
That's a fast refreshing one

Need money, now. Accepting donations!
arit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

The suspense is killing me!!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
Druidsbane
Druidsbane began at the beginning.

Device: txtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I'm kind of iffy on the design. I like the idea of buttons on both sides to page turn..does this one have touch screen?
I don't think it does. It appears to have capacitive controls that let you turn pages and navigate the menus. Hopefully the simpler schema will help bring the price down.
Druidsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidsbane View Post
I don't think it does. It appears to have capacitive controls that let you turn pages and navigate the menus. Hopefully the simpler schema will help bring the price down.
i think it can be rotated so the buttons can be used by either hand.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
Bizkaia
Bizkaia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Unfortunately the interview has been deleted from youtube for being too long.
Bizkaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizkaia View Post
Unfortunately the interview has been deleted from youtube for being too long.
Damn and double-blast! Try Vimeo guys, I'm not sure if they have the same liitations at Youtube.