Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #31
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would it be the "only option"? Machines like the CyBook, BeBook, etc, sell world-wide.
What I meant by that was that, and should have been clearer, was that Most people in those markets would become aware of it either by hearing about the kindle, and seeing the Sony on sale in a retail environment.

While some of those people would go online to research and find other option, IMHO the majority would not and as The Cybook and Hanlin are not widely availabe in Retail they may not be viable options.

I know many people (including many of my family) who have a strong distrust of buying online, especially something brand new which they don't know much about, and will often choose to buy directly from a retail store, even if they have to pay a higher price of select from a more limited selection.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I know many people (including many of my family) who have a strong distrust of buying online, especially something brand new which they don't know much about, and will often choose to buy directly from a retail store, even if they have to pay a higher price of select from a more limited selection.
Given, though, that they're going to have to buy their books for the device on-line, perhaps the whole concept of eBook readers wouldn't appeal to such people?

I know that you're right in what you say - my parents don't own a computer and wouldn't dream of buying anything online, even if they did have one. I've offered to buy them one, but they just aren't interested. Most of their friends of their own generation feel similarly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #33
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given, though, that they're going to have to buy their books for the device on-line, perhaps the whole concept of eBook readers wouldn't appeal to such people?

I know that you're right in what you say - my parents don't own a computer and wouldn't dream of buying anything online, even if they did have one. I've offered to buy them one, but they just aren't interested. Most of their friends of their own generation feel similarly.
I think the hesitiatin for many people is buying something compleatly new online, without having a chance to examine it. Now I know you can usually send it back within a week (in the UK) for a full refund, but its not the same thing.

Those same people are pretty happy ordering other things online, once they get used to it. My father is usually quiet weary of ordering things online, especially higher ticket items especially the first time, but once he knows what he wants, he is more then happy to order them over the net.

So similarly whilea lot of people may not be willing to order a TV onlne, while being more then willing to order DVD's by mail or online, I thinks a lot of people who may be weary of ordering the reader online, would not have that much of a problem ordering and downloading the books off the net.

The main issue that may make people hesitate would be clarity of instructions and ease of setup, which while getting better, is still not that easy. but that's another issue, for another thread.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote