Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 AM   #1
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
Problem opening large ebooks

I just downloaded three of the "Complete Works" epubs from the epub books forum here (the works of Virginia Woolf, Rudyard Kipling, George Eliot) and sideloaded them as kepubs via Calibre 2.81 onto my Kobo Aura HD running firmware 4.3.8945. When I try to open any of the three ebooks on the Kobo, the screen blanks for half a dozen seconds and the ereader then reboots. Same thing happens if I try opening it again after the reboot. I noticed that 4.3 8966 was also available, so I installed that on the Aura HD, but the problem remains the same.

I don't have any problem opening any other kepub I have on the ereader, but these epubs are considerably larger (14.1Mb, 17.7Mb, and 5.45Mb respectively.

I can open all three of the downloaded epubs in Calibre on the PC using the built-in reader without any problem; I can also open them in Sigil ok, and checking them there for errors doesn't find any.

I used to have an older version of the Virginia Woolf epub on the ereader when it was running an older version of firmware, and didn't have any problems reading it then, but no luck with any of the three with the latest two versions of F/W. I used the Calibre EpubSplit plugin to save a couple of the novels in the Virginia Woolf complete works as separate epubs, and when I send them to the Aura HD, I can open and read them without any problem.

Has anybody else tried these publications as kepubs on a Kobo? They are available at:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...virginia+woolf
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=281602
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=216520

p.s. I just realized that I *do* have one other large kepub on the reader - Philip Pullman's "Dark Materials" (7.6Mb according to Calibre), that I finished a few weeks ago and has been sitting on the reader since. I had no problems reading it at that time, but when I try to open it now, I get the same problem as with the three large ebooks above - the reader reboots when trying to open the kepub. So it seems there is a problem with large ebooks that has been introduced with the last couple of versions of the firmware.

Last edited by Nick Payne; 03-17-2017 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Further information
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:20 AM   #2
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Mini(5), Kobo Touch, Kobo H2O, Poke2, Pocketbook Color, Remarkabl
Not sure if it helps, but I just tried to open Virgina Woolf on a Mini (4.3 8966) and have no problem opening it (just downloaded it from the link you provided). Transferred it with Calibre 2.81. Size reported on the device 16.1MB
Zorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #3
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Since I have an Aura HD like you, I downloaded the first on your list (Virginia Woolf), added to Calibre and transfered as kepub.

It worked fine. f/w 4.3.8966. Maybe you can update and try again?

I have had the problem you describe a couple of times over the years. Always with a book with a very large single (x)html-file in the book.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Did you put it on the Mini as an epub or a kepub? All my books on the reader are kepubs.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Everything I put on the mini is automagically converted to kepub by calibre

EDIT: Mini is running stock firmware, no patches installed

Last edited by Zorka; 03-17-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Advert
Old 03-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
Zorka
Enthusiast

------ see edit above
Old 03-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have just tried the George Elliot collection on my Aura H2O. It is opening with no problems.

What options are you using on the driver? It's most likely the options on the "Extended" tab that would have affect, but, I have had a report of crashes like this when the covers are generated by calibre and sent. But, I have tried most of the cover options and none of them are causing problems.

Are you using any patches or other of the hidden options? The full screen reading would be an obvious one. Or, an unusual font?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
Nick Payne
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have just tried the George Elliot collection on my Aura H2O. It is opening with no problems.

What options are you using on the driver? It's most likely the options on the "Extended" tab that would have affect, but, I have had a report of crashes like this when the covers are generated by calibre and sent. But, I have tried most of the cover options and none of them are causing problems.

Are you using any patches or other of the hidden options? The full screen reading would be an obvious one. Or, an unusual font?
David - to answer your questions:
  1. I haven't changed any options in the driver
  2. I haven't applied any patches to the firmware
  3. I use the standard Georgia font
I don't see that it is anything to do with the driver, as I have the problem with an ebook that has been on the ereader for a couple of months and that I could open and read without any problem when the ereader was running an older firmware version. I also don't think it can be anything to do with the covers, as when I used EpubSplit to separate out individual novels from the complete works, they used exactly the same cover as the complete epub, and could be opened and read without problem.

I guess I might try a factory reset and reload the books and see if any difference.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
David - to answer your questions:
  1. I haven't changed any options in the driver
  2. I haven't applied any patches to the firmware
  3. I use the standard Georgia font
I don't see that it is anything to do with the driver, as I have the problem with an ebook that has been on the ereader for a couple of months and that I could open and read without any problem when the ereader was running an older firmware version. I also don't think it can be anything to do with the covers, as when I used EpubSplit to separate out individual novels from the complete works, they used exactly the same cover as the complete epub, and could be opened and read without problem.

I guess I might try a factory reset and reload the books and see if any difference.
I didn't ask if you had made any changes, I asked what the options were. And if the problem is the covers that calibre sent to the device interacting badly with the current firmware, then any covers you have sent since the last change in how covers are generated by the driver would trigger the bug.

A reliable source has reported a crash when opening kepubs. He was using the Kobo Utilities plugin to send the covers to the device. When he removed these covers and let the device generate the cover, the crash didn't happen. As I haven't seen any other reports of crashes when opening kepubs, I wanted to check if it was the same problem. If you are not sending covers to the device from calibre, it isn't the problem. If you are, it is worthwhile removing the covers and letting the device generate them. At the least, that will eliminate a possibility. As I said, I cannot reproduce the problem. But, I am running 4.3.8966 not 4.3.8945, so there is a chance it has been fixed.

Now, the split books suggest the cover isn't the problem, but it's still a good idea to eliminate the possibility, just in case it is a combination of things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:37 AM   #10
Nick Payne
Connoisseur

Well, I performed a factory reset, which resulted in F/W 4.3 .8842 being loaded on the ereader. I sent my Calibre library to the reader without making any changes in the driver options, and I was able to open and read all the large complete works kepubs. I then updated the F/W to 4.3 8966 and could still open and read them. So I don't know what was causing the problem previously, but it is now fixed...