Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to the new Kindle Paperwhite 2.
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Paperwhite 1 60 28.71%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Touch 10 4.78%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 4 (non-touch) 9 4.31%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 3 (non-touch) 19 9.09%
Yes, upgrading from older unlisted Kindle 2 0.96%
Yes, upgrading from a non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, not enough improvements over Kindle Paperwhite 1 57 27.27%
No, not enough improvements over my non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, just not interested in the Paperwhite 2 7 3.35%
No, dammit I still want my turn buttons back! 8 3.83%
Ordered but might return, I want to see if it is worth keeping 3 1.44%
Ordered but might return, depends on screen lighting improvements 8 3.83%
Undecided on whether to order 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #31
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I voted "No, not enough improvements over my non-Amazon reader", but what I meant was "No, because for me a KPW2 would be a downgrade; it does not suit my needs".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #32
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I have a bit of mind boggling question. I only bought PW1 and still have 2 weeks to return it, IF I decide so. But the screen is excellent, lightning suits me very well (seems to have lower range than average and yellow tint)

If I returned it (add extra time and costs) I am very afraid I would get a lemon and if not probably a torch light uncomfortable to read at night.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #33
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you are happy with the PW you have just bought and the screen is excellent, it really is debatable whether the extra cost of returning it, and the extra time to wait (another month) for the new one is worth it. Only you can answer that Chi Cygni!

The new one does have a slightly better screen, touch control and processor, but really, a fraction of a second quicker to turn pages, look up words etc? Sure it's good, but it's not a big jump forward, while some (though perhaps not all) of the software improvements may end up being available in the original Paperwhite.

In saying that, I seriously doubt there will be the same issues with dodgy screens and big variations in lighting that Amazon suffered last year. Personally, if I owned a Paperwhite I wouldn't bother upgrading and would rather wait for a bigger jump forward in another years time.

As it is, I plan to upgrade from my Kindle Keyboard (though I do plan on keeping it just in case I miss the page turn buttons too much ), as I want the light in time for the dark, gloomy winter days here in Scotland! I'm just waiting to decide between the PW and the new Kobo Aura.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #34
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
It's time to replace our Kindle Keyboards, but I'm waffling between Paperwhite and Kobo Aura HD. Obviously I could buy one of each, but I'd rather not get two different readers and have to deal with two ecosystems. I would have already bought Auras if Kobo supported landscape mode (since my husband prefers reading that way). The new Paperwhite has probably tipped the balance in its favour, but manually doing collections on the Paperwhite (after being able to use the collections plugin for calibre with the KK) will be a drag.

I'll take another look at the Kobo devices on display at Chapters once I'm back in the city and wait for the reviews on the new Paperwhite before buying anything, no rush since the KK's are still functioning.

Last edited by Synamon; 09-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #35
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I have a bit of mind boggling question. I only bought PW1 and still have 2 weeks to return it, IF I decide so. But the screen is excellent, lightning suits me very well (seems to have lower range than average and yellow tint)

If I returned it (add extra time and costs) I am very afraid I would get a lemon and if not probably a torch light uncomfortable to read at night.
If you are happy with the PW1, then I would just keep it. There doesn't seem to be enough improvements to risk getting one you don't like.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #36
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I get PW 2013 with cover for myself. My wife gets my old PW 2012 with cover. My daughter's mother-in-law get my Kindle Keyboard 2009 with cover. Thus, three of us got new eReaders with covers.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-09-2013 at 05:47 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #37
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have the PW1 and I am going to get a PW2. But this time, unlike for my K3 and PW, I will not pre-order and get caught up in the stress of the first few days. .
I am going to wait until the first wave gets their shipments, sit back and read comments and relax and then order it on prime 2 day ship.

At least that's the plan.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #38
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
It's time to replace our Kindle Keyboards, but I'm waffling between Paperwhite and Kobo Aura HD. Obviously I could buy one of each, but I'd rather not get two different readers and have to deal with two ecosystems. I would have already bought Auras if Kobo supported landscape mode (since my husband prefers reading that way). The new Paperwhite has probably tipped the balance in its favour, but manually doing collections on the Paperwhite (after being able to use the collections plugin for calibre with the KK) will be a drag.

I'll take another look at the Kobo devices on display at Chapters once I'm back in the city and wait for the reviews on the new Paperwhite before buying anything, no rush since the KK's are still functioning.
Sincerely, seeing from your device list, I would not advise you to get the Aura HD. I got it, and although the hardware is good (not excellent, but good), the software, or the permanent changes that kobo brings to it, is a disaster. I am back to reading on my PW, just ordered the PW2, but I do not regret the Aura a minute.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #39
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I have the PW1 and I am going to get a PW2. But this time, unlike for my K3 and PW, I will not pre-order and get caught up in the stress of the first few days. .
I am going to wait until the first wave gets their shipments, sit back and read comments and relax and then order it on prime 2 day ship.

Same plan for me.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Same plan for me.
Me three!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #41
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I know it will never happen, but I doubt I'll buy a Kindle until the have a SD slot. Or make a erader with a HUGE onboard memory.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #42
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
If you are happy with the PW you have just bought and the screen is excellent, it really is debatable whether the extra cost of returning it, and the extra time to wait (another month) for the new one is worth it. Only you can answer that Chi Cygni!

The new one does have a slightly better screen, touch control and processor, but really, a fraction of a second quicker to turn pages, look up words etc? Sure it's good, but it's not a big jump forward, while some (though perhaps not all) of the software improvements may end up being available in the original Paperwhite.

In saying that, I seriously doubt there will be the same issues with dodgy screens and big variations in lighting that Amazon suffered last year. Personally, if I owned a Paperwhite I wouldn't bother upgrading and would rather wait for a bigger jump forward in another years time.

As it is, I plan to upgrade from my Kindle Keyboard (though I do plan on keeping it just in case I miss the page turn buttons too much ), as I want the light in time for the dark, gloomy winter days here in Scotland! I'm just waiting to decide between the PW and the new Kobo Aura.
I was really hesitating for a few days although when I ordered it at the end of August I was fully aware something new would appear soon. Turns out it is just a polished version. And no I wasn't able at all to answer the question for a while but now I'm 95% for keeping it. Too much hassle, money and time lost for return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
If you are happy with the PW1, then I would just keep it. There doesn't seem to be enough improvements to risk getting one you don't like.
Exactly, that's my biggest fear, that I'll go through all return process and reorder and then be not satisfied while I am now. I'll wait for OTA upgrade, it will come sooner or later.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #43
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post

Me four! I may even wait until PW2 is at BB to check E-ink upgrade.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #44
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Now that the Kindle Paperwhite has been officially introduced for pre-order, here is an updated and current poll to see if you are updating to the new Kindle Paperwhite 2 or whether you have ordered but are undecided if you will keep it.

Note: You can select multiple items in this poll. Please read all items and select the best one(s) for you.
Ordered mine the very first day it was announced.
Love the first generation, so it was a no brainer...

Just a comment:
"Ordered but might return, I want to see if it is worth keeping" as one of the choices.
I absolutely hate this.
More and more consumers are doing this.
In my opinion, the idea behind this (being able to give gadgets back you've ordered over the web without having seen them) never was, ordering 5 comparable gadgets, testing them and sending 4 back.
Often I wonder, whether the unit I bought as a new one actually had been tested by someone else before, making it basically a pre-owned unit.
Nothing against you, it's a valid choice. But I simply don't like, when reviewers in Amazon proudly state "I've ordered it, but I'll definitely send it back. I just wanted to see it for myself"...
I've experienced this myself, when selling my iPhone4 via Amazon, after having upgraded to iPhone4S. The first buyer after 10 days stated, he'd like to give it back. No explanation. It was in perfect condition and absolutely flawless. Why would he want to give it back? Only explanation: Having one for 10 days for free. Meaning, I have to go through the trouble of selling it again. Never knowing what he did to it. Basically, I have to guarantee functionality to the next buyer, without being sure what might have happened to it in those 10 days. Why can't people make up their minds before? I understand, if someone gives back a damaged good of course. But a flawless one?...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-11-2013 at 11:20 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #45
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just a comment:
"Ordered but might return, I want to see if it is worth keeping" as one of the choices.
I absolutely hate this.
More and more consumers are doing this.
In my opinion, the idea behind this (being able to give gadgets back you've ordered over the web without having seen them) never was, ordering 5 comparable gadgets, testing them and sending 4 back.
Often I wonder, whether the unit I bought as a new one actually had been tested by someone else before, making it basically a pre-owned unit.
Nothing against you, it's a valid choice. But I simply don't like, when reviewers in Amazon proudly state "I've ordered it, but I'll definitely send it back. I just wanted to see it for myself"...
I've experienced this myself, when selling my iPhone4 via Amazon, after having upgraded to iPhone4S. The first buyer after 10 days stated, he'd like to give it back. No explanation. It was in perfect condition and absolutely flawless. Why would he want to give it back? Only explanation: Having one for 10 days for free. Meaning, I have to go through the trouble of selling it again. Never knowing what he did to it. Basically, I have to guarantee functionality to the next buyer, without being sure what might have happened to it in those 10 days. Why can't people make up their minds before? I understand, if someone gives back a damaged good of course. But a flawless one?...
IMO online vendors have encourage this easy return to compete with local stores. Think about eyeglasses frames from Wally Parker, they send you 5 to try.

I feel guiltier about the showroom tests that I have done at BB and other stores then ordered from Amazon for their cheaper prices.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote