Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Battery life using light?

I just got my Aura. Nice screen! This is my first self-lit ereader, and at first glance I think there is plenty of light for night reading. In fact I think I'll be turning it down to a low level.

How is the battery life when using the light? Under normal use, it won't be a big deal to me, but my worst case scenario is a power outage lasting several days to a week (east coast USA hurricane).

I'll be testing it myself over the coming weeks, but I'm wondering if there is any estimate for how many hours the battery will last while using the light.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Found this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216601

It seems the battery should last a week or more with moderate usage including the light, so good enough for me Definitely better than my tablet, and the 1500mAh battery will be much easier and faster to recharge with my USB external battery pack.
Advert
Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I use the light most of the time (at 7 during the night and 37 during the day), on my first charge (note that the battery needs a bit of time to calibrate, though.) i got around 43h of reading (2 weeks for me), I'm on my 2nd charge now and I've read for 34h more or less and I've still got around 40% (again, in 2 weeks).
I don't turn it off, I only let it sleep and wifi is always off. I'm going to monitor this for a few charges but I think that around 50hours should be right..
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
ectoplasm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
I use the light most of the time (at 7 during the night and 37 during the day), on my first charge (note that the battery needs a bit of time to calibrate, though.) i got around 43h of reading (2 weeks for me), I'm on my 2nd charge now and I've read for 34h more or less and I've still got around 40% (again, in 2 weeks).
I don't turn it off, I only let it sleep and wifi is always off. I'm going to monitor this for a few charges but I think that around 50hours should be right..
I was leaving WIFI on, and battery life was far better than my tablet. I've started leaving WIFI off unless I need it, and it seems even better. Either way, I think I could use it heavily and it would last a week, which is about the longest I could possibly need. If it could last a month, that might be nice, but wouldn't add much benefit to me.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Jave78
Jave78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura hd
I bought Kobo Aura hd about one week back. It came 50% charged. I had to charge it twice. average lasting 3 days only. I dont use wifi, or light and read about 1-2 hours per day. When I am reading, battery discharge is not fast but when I keep it at sleep and wake it up later the battery appears to have discharged faster during sleep!!
What could be the problem, I could not figure out. Is my unit defective or something?
Jave78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
could be defective, or I remember reading something about poorly formatted books having an impact on battery, too.
also, I think there was a thread about a cover that was made so that it constantly annoyed kobo's IR system when closed and that discharged the battery.
I do think 3 days 1/2h a day reading is way too fast! Yes the battery has to calibrate in the first charges but that's a bit too much..
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jave78 View Post
I bought Kobo Aura hd about one week back. It came 50% charged. I had to charge it twice. average lasting 3 days only. I dont use wifi, or light and read about 1-2 hours per day. When I am reading, battery discharge is not fast but when I keep it at sleep and wake it up later the battery appears to have discharged faster during sleep!!
What could be the problem, I could not figure out. Is my unit defective or something?
Do you use a cover on your Aura? There have been problems with some covers touching the screen as they close, which prevents the device entering sleep mode.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
Which brand of cover is that?
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStyle View Post
Which brand of cover is that?
This is not related to a brand, but to the fact that something is touching the screen.
You can learn more about it here.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
There was a ton of discussion, I made a bunch of posts detailing actual battery life with low lighting and sleep mode only over several weeks to provide a baseline for normal battery life. The only thing that seemed to make sense was that if the Glo was set to respond to a sleep cover and a part of the cover like a loose edged pocket interrupted the IR being beamed across the screen prior to sleep mode being completely entered that the device would much more rapidly drain the battery.(Mrs. Often figured that out) My theory was simply that the Neonode IR hardware was staying powered up, even though the device should have been in sleep mode, because the IR beam(s) were continuing to be interrupted so the "touch event" was never being released or ended so the Neonode IR circuitry could power down.

The simplest way to see if a cover is the problem would be to deactivate the sleep cover sensing in the settings and manually put the device to sleep prior to putting it in the cover and see if the battery life improves.

Last edited by TechniSol; 08-28-2013 at 11:24 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote