Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
tom_a_sparks
tom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheese

Device: sony reader PRS-T1, kobo touch
converting a kindle into a digital sign

I am think of getting a second hand kindle that I can convert into a digital sign
where I can put:

* rss feeds
* news of the day
* local weather forecast
* my calendar

the closest idea I've seen is http://www.cemetech.net/projects/item.php?id=39

I am wondering if anybody has done anything like what I am think?
tom_a_sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_a_sparks View Post
I am think of getting a second hand kindle that I can convert into a digital sign
where I can put:

* rss feeds
* news of the day
* local weather forecast
* my calendar

the closest idea I've seen is http://www.cemetech.net/projects/item.php?id=39

I am wondering if anybody has done anything like what I am think?
Not that I know of... Looks cool though... You could run this over WiFi instead of USB if you wanted to as well...

Maybe a kindlet for the base application? or it could be a native application, depending on your skills... geekmaster and others here have gotten video piped to the eink display... Displaying it wouldn't be hard, just actually writing the program...

What kindle model are you planning to use?

Last edited by qlob; 10-08-2012 at 01:25 PM.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
a) assuming you have internet access on the device the information retrieval and display is trivial really.

The article you cite stated that images on a 4bpp Framebuffer were a no-no however Geekmaster has shown excellent results with ordered-dither.

My first thought would be "It's too small."

Other than that I don't see why that would be a problem. I even have image-magick and a few other toys that could create the images on the fly. But I think that is overkill.

Assuming you are going for a DX (largest display) I would say that a FULLSCREEN version of the existent browser could probably be hacked together with a cron request to manage rolling updates or some such wangle.

failing that. QT could manage the display, there are probably other options to on those older devices.

If you are going for a tiny sign and are using the newer devices >5 then it's trivial utterly and could be done in a WAF with little effort.
(if it was a toy think: "some assembly required")

Hope that helps.
Many options, limited by size
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
a) assuming you have internet access on the device the information retrieval and display is trivial really.

The article you cite stated that images on a 4bpp Framebuffer were a no-no however Geekmaster has shown excellent results with ordered-dither.

My first thought would be "It's too small."

Other than that I don't see why that would be a problem. I even have image-magick and a few other toys that could create the images on the fly. But I think that is overkill.

Assuming you are going for a DX (largest display) I would say that a FULLSCREEN version of the existent browser could probably be hacked together with a cron request to manage rolling updates or some such wangle.

failing that. QT could manage the display, there are probably other options to on those older devices.

If you are going for a tiny sign and are using the newer devices >5 then it's trivial utterly and could be done in a WAF with little effort.
(if it was a toy think: "some assembly required")

Hope that helps.
Many options, limited by size
Only problem is that WAFs only work on the 5s... a kindlet or native app would work on almost all Kindles.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

if you mean to externally control an ADDITIONAL eink panel I would direct you to the more technically adept brethren and sistren that frequent these threads.

Knc1 and GM jump to mind.
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Only problem is that WAFs only work on the 5s... a kindlet or native app would work on almost all Kindles.
Yepo. Hence me asking for more specific details.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
tom_a_sparks
tom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheesetom_a_sparks can extract oil from cheese

I am still concepting this idea:

I dont know what kindle i'll be get yet, (most likely a DX)
I think of a screensaver like display that loops though a group of images (not random)
the image are going to be pushed[1] to the kindle

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_technology
Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
twobob

okay. sounds doable
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Try this - Kindle Weather Display - http://www.mpetroff.net/archives/201...ather-display/

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
tom_a_sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Try this - Kindle Weather Display - http://www.mpetroff.net/archives/201...ather-display/

Andrew

that looks close to what I am think of ,
but he only displays one page the weather
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_a_sparks View Post
that looks close to what I am think of ,
but he only displays one page the weather
Yes, but it shouldn't be too hard to adapt his scripts to what you want.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
twobob

It's fairly unlikely you will find an OOTB solution for this.

Although I did think "web kiosk" when you said it and that may be another avenue to explore.

Andyh2000 outlined the only other project of this nature I've ever heard of in this subforum, (other than the one you cited).

So it's still: "Some Assembly Required" but less that one might expect given the diverse specifications of the project.

Can't wait to see if you try it. The slow DX screen refresh won't matter for your purposes however shoving as much processing off-device as possible server-side may be in order/desirable.

: )
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
The Txtr Beagle might be a better choice:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...than-10-euros/
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hack, kindle