Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Angry KF(rooted) randomly downloads 250mbs/hour-help,Jessica

when I forget to disconnect the wifi and leave the device in suspend, it downloads vast amounts all by itself.

I never let the Kindle Fire update to 6.3.1. Is it possible it is constantly trying to download the update? I can't find the downloaded update file or any large downloaded file on the device. Why is it draining bandwidth from our satellite ISP.

We are allowed only 250 MBs daily and get charged for exceeding the limit.

Jessica, need help.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
My Nexus 7 (JB) is periodically (many times per day) showing notifications of "download complete", on the same file names, repeatedly. I wonder how much bandwidth that is consuming. Perhaps there is some system setting I need to change? It would suck if I had a low bandwidth cap like the OP.

Yesterday, it also started turned the display on and off every 20 seconds or so. Googling found a lot of unanswered "me too" posts. I found one that suggested turning off the google location services setting. I did that, and it worked.

Location services could potentially use bandwidth too (if it periodically "phones home" to google). But the repetitive downloads of files that already completed surely eats bandwidth. Are there bugs in JellyBean? Is there an update to fix them?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

250MB daily limit on WiFi? You need to get a better service provider.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
250MB daily limit on WiFi? You need to get a better service provider.
A lot of Satellite service is like that. For many people the choices are that or dial-up.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Install My Data Manager app.
It will tell you what app is sucking all your bandwidth.
It shows for 3G, roaming and WiFi.

I recently had something like that happen on my unrooted phone. Turns out it was Amazon app store redownloading itself each time there was a notification and Amazon MP3 app downloading prev/next and current song when I was streaming music. So I no longer stream music but download it instead then play the music. I don't need all those extra songs on my phone taking up space in the cache.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Clear the cache in recovery (since you're rooted, you might have TWRP or CWM, I forgot how rooting works on stock ). And install that My Data Manger app that Blossom mentioned. If you can, try clearing the data in those apps, or at least the cache.

The only problem I can think of is that you probably have an app waiting to be installed, and it's in the App Store/Google Play cache. Force quitting/clearing that cache usually works for me.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everybody. I wound up updating to 6.3.1 using the method described on this page.

It has been a few days and it looks like my runaway downloads have stopped....whew.

Oh, HughesNet satellite is not so bad because between 2 AM and 7 AM everyday you can download as much as you want....which I do using a scheduler.
I can download 1.5 GB's a night...which I often do. So I could download 45 GB's every month and I bet no one else can do THAT on their ISP. It is a pain that we can't stream or play internet videos during the day though.

We would prefer high speed broadband but it's still not available where we are...on top of a mountain in the NC Appalachian Mts.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Good to hear it's sorted! Using a scheduler is pretty clever.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Hope
Zealot

Ah, I also found an app others may find useful. It's called My Data Manager and it indicated that 1MobileMarket and Enhanced Email had downloaded 25% of my Kindle usage this morning so since I don't really use either app, I uninstalled them.
The app shows the usage for every app on your Kindle for the day, month,plan, etc.

EDIT: The app has 4 pages. You need to swipe to get to the second page which lists the apps and how much bandwidth each uses. (Took a couple of days for me to discover that - I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

Last edited by Hope; 08-28-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Thanks everybody. I wound up updating to 6.3.1 using the method described on this page.

It has been a few days and it looks like my runaway downloads have stopped....whew.

Oh, HughesNet satellite is not so bad because between 2 AM and 7 AM everyday you can download as much as you want....which I do using a scheduler.
I can download 1.5 GB's a night...which I often do. So I could download 45 GB's every month and I bet no one else can do THAT on their ISP. It is a pain that we can't stream or play internet videos during the day though.

We would prefer high speed broadband but it's still not available where we are...on top of a mountain in the NC Appalachian Mts.
We have 250GB monthly. We've used 100Gb this month so far.

I use to live in Boone, NC and was stuck with Dial Up. In those days hubby and I installed Satellite internet and other dishes. It was scary some of those installation he did! The houses hanging off the side of a mountain! We still go back there a couple times a year to reminisce. It's only a couple hours away from where I live now.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Hope
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
We have 250GB monthly. We've used 100Gb this month so far.

I use to live in Boone, NC and was stuck with Dial Up. In those days hubby and I installed Satellite internet and other dishes. It was scary some of those installation he did! The houses hanging off the side of a mountain! We still go back there a couple times a year to reminisce. It's only a couple hours away from where I live now.

Wow. 250GB's a month. We can only dream of that kind of bandwidth.
What ISP is that? Just in case we ever move into civilization. :-)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
We have 250GB monthly.
They tried that here and people bitched so it's back to no data cap for us.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Wow. 250GB's a month. We can only dream of that kind of bandwidth.
What ISP is that? Just in case we ever move into civilization. :-)
We're with Charter, but almost all the major Cable Broadband ISPs has bandwidth limits that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They tried that here and people bitched so it's back to no data cap for us.
Oh I wish they do that here! Not that I've ever gone over the cap. We just bought a new router to monitor the usage just in case. We did just get a rate adjustment. My Net went from $65 to $50 a month.