Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Awaiting Delivery of Verizen Myfi Card Today!

Have any of you used this? It is my Christmas present from Tim. It is the credit card sized 4G wifi node that you carry around with you. I had never heard of it until I saw a TV commercial. Let's you use the iPad anywhere.

If you have used this device, I would appreciate hearing you opinion.

Tracking shows it on the Fedex truck for delivery. Haven't been this excited about the mail since April 3rd, iPad Day.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nobody? OK, I will post a review when it arrives and I try it out. I plan to try it out at both my sister's house and Tim's brother's house. They live waaaay out in the woods with no DSL service except via satellite. Both want to know if it would work for them.

I think it will work for my sister. But Tim's brother is so far from civilization that cell coverage is very spotty for him. So it might not get the 4G signal where he lives.
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
I look forward to your review. I received an iPad for a gift a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it immensely. I looked into the mifi from verizon and virgin but I am still unsure which I would rather use. I like virgin's flat rate of 40.00 for unlimited data but they are on the sprint network which is ok where I live just not as good as verizon. For now I just rooted my droid and am using it as a wifi hotspot. It is not perfect but it gets the job done for now. I look forward to hearing how the Mifi performs, as the droid is a temporary fix.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!

I'm in the car with it now and heading for the woods. Exciting!
Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!

It worked army sister's house.

Did not work at Tim's brother's house.
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Moonboy242
Moonboy242 began at the beginning.

Well.... Basically what you have there is a portable version of the 3G chip that Verizon puts in its phones (as an aside, if you have the 3G iPad you will have the micro-sim card slot that all 3G iPads come with as well). The benefit is that you will have the same signal quality that all other Verizon users have in most areas.

You can also use that thing with other wifi enabled electronics because it is essentially a data modem / wireless router combo.

The important thing to remember is you have a monthly data cap that will become very expensive should you exceed it. When you own iPad goodness that cap doesn't sneak up on you... it comes running after you like a hungry speed zombie looking for lunch.
Moonboy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I've been using the MiFi card from Virgin Mobile for about four months. It works very nicely. They advertise "unlimited" usage for a monthly fee (no long term plan to sign up for). I have my doubts about how unlimited the plan really is, but it works as advertised. I use it with my iPad and iPod Touch when I'm out in the boonies doing geocaching.

I've been using it as my home WiFi router for two days until AT&T can get out here to replace my DSL modem which cratered Friday.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I use it with my iPad and iPod Touch when I'm out in the boonies doing geocaching.
Do you use the iPad/iPod Touch to pinpoint your location? I was under the impression that if you used a MiFi card (as opposed to an iPhone or 3G iPad), you wouldn't get any location data.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
Do you use the iPad/iPod Touch to pinpoint your location? I was under the impression that if you used a MiFi card (as opposed to an iPhone or 3G iPad), you wouldn't get any location data.
You can't count on it. Maybe half the places I go I can get the location data. I don't know why it doesn’t work in some places. The locations function works all around the Austin/Round Rock/Georgetown area, but not around Waco (100 miles north, but still in cell phone/data coverage area.) It works some places out of the coverage map, but not in places shown as covered for data.

I have no idea why it doesn’t work some places. The accuracy seems to be +/- 50-75 feet or so. If it would work everywhere I have coverage (my cell phone is with the same carrier) it would be very nice.

Mike

Last edited by JMikeD; 11-29-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Tamned dypos
Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'm waiting for a Verizon iphone (which hopefully won't be a long wait).
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
You can't count on it. Maybe half the places I go I can get the location data. I don't know why it doesn’t work in some places. The locations function works all around the Austin/Round Rock/Georgetown area, but not around Waco (100 miles north, but still in cell phone/data coverage area.) It works some places out of the coverage map, but not in places shown as covered for data.

I have no idea why it doesn’t work some places. The accuracy seems to be +/- 50-75 feet or so. If it would work everywhere I have coverage (my cell phone is with the same carrier) it would be very nice.

Mike
What confuses me is that I didn't think it would work at all. I know you can use cell towers to estimate your position, but because the device doing the locating (the iPad) is not the device connected to the cell network (the MiFi), then I didn't think the iPad would have any way of getting that information. Is it possible that the places where it does work you are in range of some wifi signals? If that's the case, that might explain where it gets the location data and why it only works in some areas.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!

It is 4G, not 3G. Very fast and stable.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

My long review is here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92#post1241992
Old 11-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
JMikeD
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
Is it possible that the places where it does work you are in range of some wifi signals? If that's the case, that might explain where it gets the location data and why it only works in some areas.
I'm pretty sure that there aren't any WiFi signals within many miles of some of the places I go where the location services works. Besides, it is still only logged into the WiFi signal from the MiFi card. I suspect that all cell towers aren't equal.

Mike
Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Hey Dixie! I'm coming to this thread late.

I've got the 3G MiFi, my opinion is there's a noticeable difference between the WiFi and the solid USB stick, with the WiFi being slower. As a whole, I've got no signal issues with finding service. My issues are mostly with the hardware itself. I think it's terribly implemented and buggier than hell. When I use it with my miniUSB car charger, unless I had the WiFi on and already found signal, then it doesn't connect. I've also got issues with it not telling me how much battery life is left or signal strength or how much bandwidth I've used.

When I took it to the Outer Banks for vacation this summer, I had some issues with the iPad Netflix app and streaming video, but I think that was because I was probably about 30 miles from the closest cell tower and in the basement of a monster house.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote