Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
PDF to ePub in Calibre - input somewhat scrambled

I'm pretty new to Calibre and handling eBooks, and don't seem to be getting along too well with Search, so please don't get annoyed at stupidity.

I was hoping to get all my e-books into one reader on my iPod Touch, and have quite a few in non-DRM PDF format. When I go PDF --> ePub in Calibre (using default settings, I'm not knowledgeable enough to play with the settings), lines of text tend to migrate in odd ways. I'll be reading along and here's a couple of lines from the next page, then back to where I should be, and those lines do not recur in their proper place.

Suggestions? Right now, I'm working on deciding between Stanza or iBooks for stuff that started as ePub, and am having the best luck with GoodReader for PDFs. Still, I'd prefer to have everything in one app.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I could construct a PDF file in a way that made it appear normally in a PDF viewer or print, but have the text come out all backwards when you try calibre or reflow conversion techniques... that's just PDF for you, the format does not care much about actual text structure.

If these errors appear to be random, there's little you can do other than manually fix these occurences. If there's a pattern to these errors, with some programming skills it may be possible to devise a workaround for the particular document.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I could construct a PDF file in a way that made it appear normally in a PDF viewer or print, but have the text come out all backwards when you try calibre or reflow conversion techniques... that's just PDF for you, the format does not care much about actual text structure.

If these errors appear to be random, there's little you can do other than manually fix these occurences. If there's a pattern to these errors, with some programming skills it may be possible to devise a workaround for the particular document.
For my (lack of) skill level, this means either put up with it or stick with the multi-app situation. (sigh)

Thanks anyway.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote