Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Decorate article headings as hyperlinks to full article?

Is it possible to make article headings hyperlinks? Many newsfeeds don't have full text, or include a link to the full article.

On platforms like Kindle or iOS which are able to launch a web browser, it would be handy to have a hyperlink to click on.

Any examples of this? or what would it take to add this functionality?

Thanks.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Is it possible to make article headings hyperlinks?
In the index, they already are hyperlinks to the downloaded articles. In the articles, there is already a hyperlink to the article at the end of the article.

Quote:
Many newsfeeds don't have full text, or include a link to the full article.
The recipe normally handles this by retrieving the full text even if the feed doesn't have it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
In the index, they already are hyperlinks to the downloaded articles. In the articles, there is already a hyperlink to the article at the end of the article.
I am not seeing hyperlink-at-end-of-article behavior in any of the subscriptions I have requested in MOBI format. Is there a particular recipe I should be looking at?

Quote:
The recipe normally handles this by retrieving the full text even if the feed doesn't have it.
Again, can you cite an example of such a recipe?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
I am not seeing hyperlink-at-end-of-article behavior in any of the subscriptions I have requested in MOBI format. Is there a particular recipe I should be looking at?
That link is not present in files created for the kindle as it is part of the in article navbars that are disabled for the Kindle in favor of its periodical nav system.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Kovid answered this. There's no reason you can't add any links you want inside the recipe. (BeautifulSoup is used for this.)

Quote:
Again, can you cite an example of such a recipe?
Calibre tries to guess if a feed has full articles embedded in it based on the length of the embedded content. If the embedded feed content is short, the article content is retrieved. If it's long, the feed content is used. It can be actively controlled with:

use_embedded_content = True/False/None

If None, then the default guessing is used. If True then Calibre always assumes the feed has embedded content and if False it always assumes the feed does not have embedded content.

Last edited by Starson17; 10-14-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks Kovid and Starson. I'm going to have to figure out how recipes work and make my own enhancements. I do mostly like the Kindle periodical nav system, but without links to the full article, or full content in the first place, some of the subscriptions I'm using are not very useful out-of-the-box.