Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Ereader Light: Kandle? M-edge? Mighty Bright?

I did a search for a poll or discussion of which is the most preferred reading light by MR members but came up null.

So if anyone has a great reading light and would recommend would you care to share your pros and cons?

I have a Sony PRS 600 but am open to any brand
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I haven't used a Kandle but I really like the Mighty Bright TravelFlex, it's brighter than the M-Edge light. It is also bigger but still very portable. I have an M-Edge and a BookArmour case and with both I can clip the TravelFlex on the spine.

If I use it every day both the TravelFlex and the M-Edge light last me a week (both use 1AAA battery). In my opinion the TravelFlex has a better build quality than the M-Edge.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have the M-Edge e-Luminator2 Booklight for Amazon Kindle, which works well with my Oberon Kindle cover. Without a cover, it's useless because it has no clip-on means. The nicest thing is the weight. It only uses one AAA battery, so it's nearly as light as a feather. If you use it a lot, you'll have to change the battery every few days, but I imagine it uses no greater total number of batteries than other devices which use two or three cells.

I don't have a cover yet for my Sony Touch, and Olberon has discontinued their Sony covers, so I find I could also use a recommendation for a good light for the PRS-600.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-18-2010 at 09:32 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I have the Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 and I've been extremely happy with it. The flexible neck allows you to position it so that there are no issues with reflections on the screen like I've had with other, fixed position lights. Also, the two bulbs and dual power switch give you a choice of how bright you want/need it to be, and it's actually bright enough that I've used it as an emergency flashlight during a power outage on more than one occasion!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 is only $14.99 from B&N or Borders.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I have a Mighty Bright I got for $5 on clearance at a Borders--don't know the model.

It's ok--in my experience about any LED light is about the same. None are great (want to move to an LCD tablet eventually as I read in dim lighting a lot), but get the job done.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
I've got the M-Edge light (with an M-Edge cover) and really love it. I was leery at first, because the light it casts is definitely kind of blue in color, but I find that it seems to work rather well - and I guess maybe it reduces eye strain a bit. I'm particularly sensitive to that sort of thing because I work all day on a computer screen and I find switching over to eInk and the blue-ish light to be something of break for my eyes.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the rec's so far. I think I like the idea of having a flexible arm so I can position the light. It seems all the lights are LED so probably the brightness may be similar. The idea of just a regular AAA battery is also appealing instead of using the little disc cells which are a pain to get sometimes, not to mention more expensive.

I'm trying to avoid getting a cover for my reader (I've got a vinyl skin on it) hey, why add bulk if I'm only reading at home? So maybe there's one that clips to the reader without scratching it. I think Amazon's got all the lights mentioned above. Thanks for the input everyone maybe I'll find something close to perfect *crosses fingers*
Old 05-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I have most of the ones mentioned here. I don't like the M-edge one myself. I don't find it lights up the bottom of the screen on my Sony Pocket Reader and the only way to use it is with a case.

I really like the Mighty Bright Travelflex light but it can't clip directly onto the reader because of the mechanics of the clip. It needs to clip onto a case to use with the reader. I also have the Mighty Bright Xtra Flex 2 and like it but find the neck too long and wobbles sometimes.

The Xtra Flex 2 will clip directly onto the reader but it's difficult to find a good spot to clip it to the reader because the edges are too narrow. So.....it's personal opinion and every one has different likes and dislikes. What I'd suggest to you is bring the reader to the store and try the light on for size to see how you like or don't like it. I've found the stores to be pretty good in letting me try them with my reader.

Happy hunting!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
glowhappy
lost my wits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I have most of the ones mentioned here. I don't like the M-edge one myself. I don't find it lights up the bottom of the screen on my Sony Pocket Reader and the only way to use it is with a case.

I really like the Mighty Bright Travelflex light but it can't clip directly onto the reader because of the mechanics of the clip. It needs to clip onto a case to use with the reader. I also have the Mighty Bright Xtra Flex 2 and like it but find the neck too long and wobbles sometimes.

The Xtra Flex 2 will clip directly onto the reader but it's difficult to find a good spot to clip it to the reader because the edges are too narrow. So.....it's personal opinion and every one has different likes and dislikes. What I'd suggest to you is bring the reader to the store and try the light on for size to see how you like or don't like it. I've found the stores to be pretty good in letting me try them with my reader.

Happy hunting!
sounds like I will have to go to a brick and mortar with my reader to "fit' it
your input was most helpful
Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I've tried the M-Edge E-luminator, and a couple other non-clip gooseneck lights. Out of them, I like the Kandle the best. I just got mine last week, and I've used it more in a week than I used any of the previous lights.

The Kandle has a nice wide, well-paddded clip, and uses two CR3032 batteries (included, along with spares) for light. I clip it right onto my Kindle with skin without any issues, dents, or scratches.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I have three - the Mighty Bright Xtra Flex 2, the Kandle and the Octovo Solis.

The Mighty Bright's "high beam/low beam" design and flex arm offers the ability to adjust to one's preference. While the illumination is excellent, it is a pain to travel with; it is cumbersome and turns itself on too often.

The Kandle's design is very small, lightweight and fits/illuminates the Kindle2 perfectly. I am unsure how well it works on other devices, depending on thickness.

My current favorite is Octovo's Solis: http://www.octovo.com/product.aspx?cid=64&pid=22 It is extremely small, lightweight and elegant. Brushed aluminum casing and the LED is warmer (natural light-like) and not cool (bluish) like most lights. It uses a single AA battery and can fit in a pocket. The light turns on when the arm is moved to the 90° position for reading. One other plus - the light is focused on the device and does not spread to its surroundings which can disturb others. Unfortunately, it is designed for the Kindle 2 only.

Last edited by Skydog; 05-20-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
glowhappy
lost my wits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post

My current favorite is Octovo's Solis: http://www.octovo.com/product.aspx?cid=64&pid=22 It is extremely small, lightweight and elegant. Brushed aluminum casing and the LED is warmer (natural light-like) and not cool (bluish) like most lights. It uses a single AA battery and can fit in a pocket. The light turns on when the arm is moved to the 90° position for reading. One other plus - the light is focused on the device and does not spread to its surroundings which can disturb others. Unfortunately, it is designed for the Kindle 2 only.
That one does look sleek however, without actually trying to fit it on my PRS-600 I won't know that it is a viable option since its made specifically for the Kindle 2 But again, it sure is sexy lookin' decisions decisions....
Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post
That one does look sleek however, without actually trying to fit it on my PRS-600 I won't know that it is a viable option since its made specifically for the Kindle 2 But again, it sure is sexy lookin' decisions decisions....
Unfortunately, it won't fit the PRS-600 frame. Sorry.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
...My current favorite is Octovo's Solis: http://www.octovo.com/product.aspx?cid=64&pid=22 It is extremely small, lightweight and elegant. Brushed aluminum casing and the LED is warmer (natural light-like) and not cool (bluish) like most lights. It uses a single AA battery and can fit in a pocket. The light turns on when the arm is moved to the 90° position for reading. One other plus - the light is focused on the device and does not spread to its surroundings which can disturb others. Unfortunately, it is designed for the Kindle 2 only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post
I'd love to know if that would work for my Touch Edition. Has anyone out there tried to use an Octovo Solis with their Sony?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote