Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Paris meetup 31 january 2009 : it's back !

that's right ! back by popular demand, the next Paris meetup will happen at the END OF JANUARY 2009 (that's right around the corner you know). after the october episode, we've understood that the expression "resounding success" is too weak ! so it's with overflowing joy that we announce that the phenomenon will be repeated !! it's becoming an institution, and we couldn't be more thrilled !

I propose :

- saturday evening again, for those coming from far away : the 31 january ? the 24 ? what do you say ? starting around 18:00 (6pm for those of you on the 12-hour clock), until they throw us out again...

EDIT : and, the 31 it is !! since everyone expressing a preference for a date prefers that one. hey, who am i to argue ?

- back to the Trottinette, where we drank and ate so well the last time :

LA TROTTINETTE
sicilien bar / restaurant

23, rue de la Fontaine au Roi
Paris 11th arrondissement
Métro Goncourt (line 11)
or if you prefer Parmentier (line 3) or République (lines 3, 5, 8, 9, 11)

you can drink and you can also eat there : they propose sicilian cuisine based on HOME-MADE pasta and bread, with exclusively fresh ingredients, around 60% organic products. lots of vegetables which will make the vegetarians happy for once ! but the carnivores can have a steak if they prefer ! appetizers are at 7.50€, main course 12€, dessert 6€ (glass of beer 2.50€).

/!\ La Trottinette does not accept credit cards, cash or check only ! so stop by the bank machine on your way or bring your checkbook.

so, who will be there ? any preferences for the date ? tell us your intentions by posting here. see you soon to talk about liseuses (etc.) among connaisseurs, over a drink (and even dinner, for those so inclined), in a very convivial atmosphere ! i hope to see some familiar faces from the previous apéros, and to meet some new faces as well ! bring your liseuse if you have one !

EDIT
the 31 is coming fast ! please leave a message to let us know if you are coming, and whether you will stay for dinner. so far, the following people plan to attend :

0. mtravellerh (apero + dîner)
1. deloscampos
2. Gaurnim +1 (apéro + dîner)
4. Nammalvar (apéro + dîner)
5. filip (apéro + dîner)
6. YGG- (apéro + dîner)
7. FlorenceArt (apéro + dîner)
8. Polyglot27 (apéro + dîner)
9. Alfy (apéro + dîner)
11. Hadrien (apéro + dîner)
10. zelda (apéro + dîner)
11. planetrobbie
12. surfinjim ??
13. Randy11 (apéro + dîner)
14. Xaaf
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
That's right, folks, come to the meet-up that never actually ends! Zelda is hereby announcing this, the 163rd (?) Paris MR meet-up, which is simply a continuation of the previous meet-ups which you thought ended but are actually ongoing as we speak. And don't worry if you can't make this one because the next one will be the following Tuesday or so. (Note to self: arrange another Texas meet-up so as not to be hopelessly outdone by Queen Zee).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
That's right, folks, come to the meet-up that never actually ends! Zelda is hereby announcing this, the 163rd (?) Paris MR meet-up, which is simply a continuation of the previous meet-ups which you thought ended but are actually ongoing as we speak. And don't worry if you can't make this one because the next one will be the following Tuesday or so. (Note to self: arrange another Texas meet-up so as not to be hopelessly outdone by Queen Zee).
what can i say ? we love a good party around here.

and yes, you texans are falling behind. i'm surprised at you. you should really get on that right away.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel

UPDATE :
so far we have two votes for the 31st on the french thread, none for the 24th. i think we may have a date.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:54 AM   #5
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm going to need some bells.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
I'm going to need some bells.
i'm going to take that as good news. (i might even be convinced to provide the bells).
Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
... (i might even be convinced to provide the bells).
...and a hump.

Cheers,
Marc ("The bells! The bells!")
PS. I'd give lefty to be there, and I don't mean one of my socks.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
...and a hump.

Cheers,
Marc ("The bells! The bells!")
PS. I'd give lefty to be there, and I don't mean one of my socks.
...from which we can infer that in the Netherlands, Marc's left testicle would be worth, well, 19 euro since they are running a special right now. I might actually book - the ticket, that is.

http://www.nshispeed.nl/thalys-parijs-actie-19-euro-ns

65 euro for a first-class testicle^H^H^H^H^Hticket.

Last edited by acidzebra; 12-07-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
...from which we can infer that in the Netherlands, Marc's left testicle would be worth, well, 19 euro since they are running a special right now. I might actually book - the ticket, that is.

http://www.nshispeed.nl/thalys-parijs-actie-19-euro-ns

65 euro for a first-class testicle^H^H^H^H^Hticket.
yay !!!

(holy cow, 19€ ??? any cheaper and they'll be paying you to take the train.)
Old 12-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Quote:
yay !!!

(holy cow, 19€ ??? any cheaper and they'll be paying you to take the train.)

I don't know, when I try to actually book it I get €186,80 for a two-way journey. Which still isn't bad - just not what is advertised. AND of course I don't have the particular type of credit card they want.

I would also need a hotel, or a couch, and a way to get from Paris Nord to get to whatever cafe is giving you kickbacks for drawing in gullible ebook lovers. Suggestions?
Old 12-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I don't know, when I try to actually book it I get €186,80 for a two-way journey. Which still isn't bad - just not what is advertised. I would also need a hotel, or a couch, and a way to get from Paris Nord to get to whatever cafe is giving you kickbacks for drawing in gullible ebook lovers. Suggestions?
pff, isn't that always the way. the same thing happens to me whenever i try to get one of the "super promo discount !!" airfares advertised. well, i hope you manage to get it somehow... maybe take an earlier train ?

i'd offer you my sofa but... i don't have one. however i know patricia has stayed in 2 different hotels right near the Gare du Nord the last times she's come, for convenience. i'm sure she'll be happy to tell you their names and whether they are decent. there are others too. i don't actually know them but perhaps a travel site could give you some tips (note to self : look into cheap hotels for future reference). as for getting around in the city, might i propose our fine public transport system, aka "the métro" (or "the bus", depending). or, if you like to walk, Gare du Nord is not actually very far from la Trottinette (note to self : tell owner of la Trottinette i'd like kickbacks from now on).

just so you know, it looks like the definitive date will be the 31st. perhaps i should edit the threads to reflect that.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

A 30 minute walk might be preferable to braving your subway system.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...,0.053945&z=15
Also I'm pretty sure I can beat Google Maps' anemic speed.

80-90 euro for Hôtel Campanile Paris X, and from 80 euro for New Hotel Paris Gare Nord & Est.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...9&ie=UTF8&z=13
...of probably countless hotels. Anything that beats one of those Formula 1 hotels.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
A 30 minute walk might be preferable to braving your subway system.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...,0.053945&z=15
Also I'm pretty sure I can beat Google Maps' anemic speed.
pfff. as long as you stay away from Châtelet or Montparnasse you should be fine. don't tell me an intelligent person like yourself is afraid of the métro ??

(also, yes, i'm pretty sure everyone can beat google maps' anemic speed. half an hour seems like a lot for that particularly trajectory. then again i walk fast. lots of practice, you know).

Quote:
80-90 euro for Hôtel Campanile Paris X, and from 80 euro for New Hotel Paris Gare Nord & Est.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...9&ie=UTF8&z=13
...of probably countless hotels. Anything that beats one of those Formula 1 hotels.
you might also try with keywords "Gare de l'est" which is approximately two streets down from gare du nord and also surrounded by hotels.

also don't be afraid to try an independent hotel (not part of a chain), they are probably cheaper and some are just as nice.

anyway with keywords "gare du nord" google gives 3,971 results, i imagine somewhere in there you can find a decent room for not too expensive...
Old 12-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Quote:
pfff. as long as you stay away from Châtelet or Montparnasse you should be fine. don't tell me an intelligent person like yourself is afraid of the métro ??
I used to think the Paris métro was great, and then I visited Hong Kong.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I used to think the Paris métro was great, and then I visited Hong Kong.
yes, apparently it doesn't compare to the Moscow métro either (according to a russian friend of mine). nonetheless, i find it is most of the time relatively effective for getting around. and it's worlds better than no métro at all. i also affirm that it's infinitely better than the san francisco métro (ONE line !! pff.). it could be better... but it could be much worse. or even nonexistent.

Tags
apéro, back by popular demand, be there with bells on, meet-up, meetup, paris, rencontre, show'em how it's done, the original